Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ⚡ The Scarlet Poster ⚡ Flash Fan #1's Avatar

Default Anyone Else Annoyed With How Long The Kindred Reveal Is Taking?

Hey, guys, haven't posted here in quite a while.

Now, I've more or less enjoyed what Spencer's been doing with the title since his run's started. When he got on, I was extremely happy there was new blood taking over and that Slott was done. I think there was a lot of burnout with his style of storytelling for some people -- me included. With that said, I think the whole Kindred thing has been dragging for a long time now. Yes, Spencer has some big plans for the character and the reveal should be a very, very big deal, but I can't help but feel like it's just taking way too much time.

I'm reading Amazing #46 last night and while it was a good read (Sin Eater comes across as real menacing) the whole time it just feels like Spencer's stalling with that character as opposed to Kindred. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying "Sins Rising". It could end up as one of those classic Spidey tails people talk about years and years from now.

Anyone else feel this way? Or do you enjoy the long-game that Spencer has cooking up?
    "If you're not moving, you're not living. No matter how bad it gets or how many hits you take, keep trying."

BANNED

Spencer is doing a big mystery story, and the general timeline for accepted lengths of a mystery before the reveal is the Norman Osborn is Green Goblin one which lasted from ASM#14 (character's first appearance, July 1964) and ASM#40 (reveal, September 1966), that's 26 issues or 26 months, or 2 years and two months. Anything longer than that, as with the Hobgoblin mystery which was supposed to go, originally, to 27 months but stretched out for years, and basically got resolved a decade plus...that's when you have problems.

Spencer's first issue was November 2018...so it hasn't been 2 years yet. In publication terms, that's actually shorter because of the Pandemic delays. If there had been no COVID, Sins' Rising would have been done and wrapped up by now. I can understand fans feeling that the Kindred mystery is being dragged on and I can understand the frustrations but some of that is because of real-world circumstances delaying and killing the tension and pacing. I do think Spencer needs to be cut some slack there on that front.

And in any case 26 months haven't passed with Spencer on the title but given that ASM ships twice-a-month, Spencer has written more ASM than he would have if this had been monthly as it was in the '60s. So my feeling is that the pacing and buildup is still normal and not overstayed its welcome yet.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 08-15-2020 at 09:32 AM.

I haven't been reading myself, but I do pop in and keep up on the comments. I remember someone stating that the reveal is either going to be a big flop or lukewarm at best because it's being dragged out and people feel like they've weeded out most potential candidates for Kindred.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

⚡ The Scarlet Poster ⚡ Flash Fan #1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Spencer is doing a big mystery story, and the general timeline for accepted lengths of a mystery before the reveal is the Norman Osborn is Green Goblin one which lasted from ASM#14 (character's first appearance, July 1964) and ASM#40 (reveal, September 1966), that's 26 issues or 26 months, or 2 years and two months. Anything longer than that, as with the Hobgoblin mystery which was supposed to go, originally, to 27 months but stretched out for years, and basically got resolved a decade plus...that's when you have problems.

Spencer's first issue was November 2018...so it hasn't been 2 years yet. In publication terms, that's actually shorter because of the Pandemic delays. If there had been no COVID, Sins' Rising would have been done and wrapped up by now. I can understand fans feeling that the Kindred mystery is being dragged on and I can understand the frustrations but some of that is because of real-world circumstances delaying and killing the tension and pacing. I do think Spencer needs to be cut some slack there on that front.

And in any case 26 months haven't passed with Spencer on the title but given that ASM ships twice-a-month, Spencer has written more ASM than he would have if this had been monthly as it was in the '60s. So my feeling is that the pacing and buildup is still normal and not overstayed its welcome yet.
    Those are some good points you brought up about the pandemic and whatnot. I guess I'm just really, really anxious to find out who Kindred is. Pretty much what's happening in Amazing right now is why I love reading Spider-Man. It's been a very long time since I've been hyped to read the title.
    "If you're not moving, you're not living. No matter how bad it gets or how many hits you take, keep trying."

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

But, when measured by issues, Kindred has been going on for longer than Green Goblin. Kindred was introduced at the very beginning of the run, and has been doing his stuff for more than 45 issues. I think the big difference is that, whenever Green Goblin or Hobgoblin showed up in a story, they had a goal and a fight against Spider-Man. There was a satisfying narrative to justify prolonging the mystery. Nick Spencer chose another path, to have Kindred hyped trough the schemes he pulls out, using others as a mean to an end, and presenting the villain as an almost omnipresent character throughout the run. I don't think it's a bad choice at all, but I'm burned out on what Kindred does when he appears: some manipulation that fuses nightmares and reality and some cool phrases. I think, with Sins Rising, the mystery is more solid, as the storyarc appears to have a direct relation towards Kindred's goal, whatever it is, and I expect his identity is revealed in ASM 49 (850 Legacy numbering) or 50
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    But, when measured by issues, Kindred has been going on for longer than Green Goblin.
    Sure. But the situation of publishing ASM twice-a-month is a modern situation for a writer on that title, so in practice that means that writers need to pack in more content in the same time that's usually devoted to a single issue. So that means writers are stuck in a situation where they pad out the same story arc and beat, or where they juggle multiple stories and ideas at the same time. Slott generally did the former, while Spencer chose the latter.

I think, with Sins Rising, the mystery is more solid, as the storyarc appears to have a direct relation towards Kindred's goal, whatever it is, and I expect his identity is revealed in ASM 49 (850 Legacy numbering) or 50
    Let's hope.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Spencer is writing this like a TV series.
    There are individual “episodes” - the Boomerang centric stories/the JJJ two parters etc
    There are makeshift “seasons” - Kraven and Hunter, the build up and event that is Sins Rising.
    And there is finally the series, which is where Kindred is. He’s basically the runs mystery. We are nearing the time now where it feels more “right” that Kindred will reveal him/herself soon. But s/he said it themselves in a recent issue...as it stands, we should be asking what they want NOT who they are.

I’m not tired of it...because when we know I’m sure it’ll be worth the wait. The run sort of depends on it.

Angry

I am mildly annoyed by the delay. I'm waiting on the reveal to see if I should end my boycott of all things 616 Peter Parker (especially Amazing).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

The Pandemic certainly hasn't helped.

Astonishing Member

The stories were taking too long even before the pandemic is what the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    The stories were taking too long even before the pandemic is what the problem is.
    I tend to agree (my friend lets me read them for free lol, although most issues I've only skimped because, IMO, they suck by having far too much Boomerang). I hope the reveal is worth the foot-dragging. *crosses fingers*
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    There are individual “episodes” - the Boomerang centric stories/the JJJ two parters etc
    There are makeshift “seasons” - Kraven and Hunter, the build up and event that is Sins Rising.
    And there is finally the series, which is where Kindred is. He’s basically the runs mystery. We are nearing the time now where it feels more “right” that Kindred will reveal him/herself soon. But s/he said it themselves in a recent issue...as it stands, we should be asking what they want NOT who they are.

I’m not tired of it...because when we know I’m sure it’ll be worth the wait. The run sort of depends on it.
    That's a good analogy.

And by the way any long run on comic always has a major ongoing story balanced by stories that are unconnected to it.

Read the original Hobgoblin Saga by Roger Stern from ASM#238-252. You will find that in between stories and confrontations with the Hobgoblin, Stern did stories that were unconnected and separate (most famously The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man), including run ins with The Mad Thinker, and a one-shot standalone like "The Daydreamers" (ASM#246).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post

I am not tired of it at all. What got me tired? Years of Dan Slott and the worst writing of Peter, MJ and Felicia in their history. I cannot watch the cartoon because of Slott’s involvement ( although Yankee Baseball snd Islanders hockey are a priority), nor can I read the FF ( despite Spider-Man being in it). Why? Same reason. I am expecting the payoff to be Kindred being the mechanism to end OMD/BND and get the marriage restored. After years of Slott or no comics (As I said before I quit after Silk), I can wait.

Nah, but that's because i haven't read it monthly, i only read the arcs until they are over, is why i haven't read anything after issue 43.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Incredible Member

Beyond annoyed. For me, Spencer's run has just been ok with the Kindred mystery being the only thing to keep me reading. At this point, I can't see how this reveal will be worth the wait. If it's someone we know well, the only character that would get a shock from me would be Aunt May. If it's someone we don't know, it would take a lot for me to care. Then my thoughts go into what comes next after the reveal? Do we focus on Spidey/Kindred battles for the next 6 months or longer? Does the aftermath reset OMD/BND, as some hope it will (I don't)? What would a reset even do? Restore the marriage - allow them to sleep in the same residence "legally"? A victory over Mephisto in the long run? Love conquers all? None of that interests me on the surface - hopefully, the execution will be worth the wait.