Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

In Lee-Ditko's run, Peter Parker was framed as being older than his generation and being more of an adult than his classmates, and I always saw Peter as the kid who grew up fast and didn't have time to really enjoy his youth. That was how it came across in that original run. This was a guy who quite obviously hated his teenage years, hated high school, had no friends, lost his Uncle, and had to work a job to care for his Aunt.

The great thing I love about the Master Planner Saga, was the entire issues showing how isolated Peter was from his classmates...he goes to his first day in college while Aunt May is in hospital dying and he has to work as Spider-Man to find a cure, and the entire time he goes to class he's on autopilot completely unaware of being in class. It's really amazing how Ditko captured a realistic stasis of being in that mode where your mind is so occupied that your present is some invisible unreal thing. And of course there's the poignancy that snobs like Harry, Flash, and Gwen don't understand that at all, nor can they ever understand it.

So to me it never made sense to think of Peter as young because he never really had a real youth until he went to college.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    In Lee-Ditko's run, Peter Parker was framed as being older than his generation and being more of an adult than his classmates, and I always saw Peter as the kid who grew up fast and didn't have time to really enjoy his youth. That was how it came across in that original run. This was a guy who quite obviously hated his teenage years, hated high school, had no friends, lost his Uncle, and had to work a job to care for his Aunt.

The great thing I love about the Master Planner Saga, was the entire issues showing how isolated Peter was from his classmates...he goes to his first day in college while Aunt May is in hospital dying and he has to work as Spider-Man to find a cure, and the entire time he goes to class he's on autopilot completely unaware of being in class. It's really amazing how Ditko captured a realistic stasis of being in that mode where your mind is so occupied that your present is some invisible unreal thing. And of course there's the poignancy that snobs like Harry, Flash, and Gwen don't understand that at all, nor can they ever understand it.

So to me it never made sense to think of Peter as young because he never really had a real youth until he went to college.
    If nothing else I think he had the vigor, vitality, and enthusiasm of youth if tempered by all the responsibilities he had to shoulder.

In Lee-Ditko's run, Peter Parker was framed as being older than his generation and being more of an adult than his classmates
    nah he was just a prick
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    nah he was just a prick
    Peter was far less a prick in that run than most people in his supporting cast in that era. It was a much harder and harsher bunch of people around him in that era.

he is 29 years old in story but you know retcons probably makes him younger now
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Give Peter a 30th birthday in canon! 15 years of Spider-Maning!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Give Peter a 30th birthday in canon! 15 years of Spider-Maning!
    With ASM#1000 not so far away, that's a good story to do for such a milestone issue.

It's also going to be Marvel's first ongoing to hit 1000 issues. And Spider-Man has always been a character whose milestones have had big stories and stuff going down.

With ASM#1000 not so far away, that's a good story to do for such a milestone issue.

It's also going to be Marvel's first ongoing to hit 1000 issues. And Spider-Man has always been a character whose milestones have had big stories and stuff going down.
    After what happened to DC i wonder if Marvel would last long enought to get the ASM #1000.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

DC got cucked because Warner doesn't know how to deal with its stupid debt from the AT&T merger. All Mickey has to do is slurp up more streaming juice 'til Woodgod releases the cure and then it's back to taking over the banks. Fo shizzle.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    After what happened to DC i wonder if Marvel would last long enought to get the ASM #1000.
    Nothing is certain of course and the pandemic has disrupted a lot. But the problems at DC are not likely to happen with Marvel in the short term. DC's corporate owner is AT and T, a company saddled with a lot of debt when they made the merger with WB (which honestly shouldn't have been approved). Marvel's corporate owner Disney on the other hand are more secure in foundation than them, even during this pandemic. Verticals at AT and T are more vulnerable to layoffs because execs to save cash or cut corners, or look like they are doing that to shareholders and investors, are motivated to recommending mass layoffs and firings. That's not a situation for Disney at the present moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    DC got cucked because Warner doesn't know how to deal with its stupid debt from the AT&T merger. All Mickey has to do is slurp up more streaming juice 'til Woodgod releases the cure and then it's back to taking over the banks. Fo shizzle.
    This guy gets it for the most part.

Extraordinary Member

He’s 29 now.

But in real life now, Zoomers are entering the work force.

If they keep Peter with the same maturity level he is now and don’t age him up.

He’ll be considered a Zoomer soon.

I'm guessing late 20s/early 30s

Astonishing Member

Peter was far less a prick in that run than most people in his supporting cast in that era. It was a much harder and harsher bunch of people around him in that era.
    It's debatable.

You know that saying, "When you see an *******, you see an *******. When all you see are assholes, then maybe you're the *******." Sometimes it looked like Peter was egging other people on.

Who was most at fault depends on the writer? Busiek emphasized Peter's shyness and had Flash take advantage of that to excise him from the group.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    It's debatable.
    Flash and Liz Allan bullied Peter. That's not debatable. Gwen, Harry and Flash at ESU were also hazing Peter and treating him badly. J. Jonah Jameson was exploiting Peter. This was the era of thought balloons. So you actually got to see the thoughts of these characters, as readers, which Peter didn't have. Most of the time their inner selves didn't make them out to be nice people.

Sometimes it looked like Peter was egging other people on.
    This is victim blaming, pure and simple. "Egging people on" is a classic idiom used by bullies and domestic abusers of the "Why did you make me hit you?" school.

I have no idea why this is a thing or how this started but this needs bear repeating. Peter Parker was bullied in high school. Period. Full stop. That actually happened. And bullying people can never be justified...whether it's Peter being shy, or not being social...none of which is some terrible thing to justify attacking and persecuting a poor kid raised by his Aunt and Uncle.

Some of Peter's attitude in the Lee-Ditko era comes from the fact that Peter and Spider-Man crave attention and respect, others come from being paranoid and overworked with academics and superheroics. At the same time a lot of Peter's behavior and attitude to his peers in the Lee-Ditko run is justified and valid responses to people who were jerks to him. Peter being rude at times to Flash and Liz Allan is payback, as is him blowing off Harry, Gwen, and Flash when they, sight unseen without ever meeting the guy, decide to attack him simply because he, a peasant, doesn't drop down and kiss the feet of these spoiled rich kids.

Who was most at fault depends on the writer? Busiek emphasized Peter's shyness and had Flash take advantage of that to excise him from the group.
    And I don't think Busiek was saying that Flash was right to behave that way or that it's a valid response to socially reject and castigate shy people. Shyness is usually a defense mechanism...it's not a personality flaw or a moral failing.