Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Orlando's Wonder Woman run ... runs? Hodge podge? Smattering? Has been low-key, stealth one of the best Wonder Woman runs of all time. It's so weird but kind of anecdotal that it's so under-the-radar and not exactly on the hype train, but here he is, alternating runs that are hardly fill-ins, and rounding out basically a pretty full Volume of WW storytelling - with a gorgeous "TO BE CONTINUED" at the end here.

I eagerly await the next chapter.
    Unfortunately Orlando is no longer writing anything (at the moment) for DC or Marvel, he done with mainstream comics at the moment. Which makes me really sad, because his Wonder Woman run(s) was the best that I've read as it released. In a lot of ways Orlando should be the defining run for Wonder Woman, she acts perfectly and it features new and old villains in a great and workable way.

I'm hoping that someone else does pick up on the new Amazonian tribe thing and also features more appearances from Donna Troy, Artemis Grace, Atalanta, and the Bana-Mighdall queen.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Unfortunately Orlando is no longer writing anything (at the moment) for DC or Marvel, he done with mainstream comics at the moment. Which makes me really sad, because his Wonder Woman run(s) was the best that I've read as it released. In a lot of ways Orlando should be the defining run for Wonder Woman, she acts perfectly and it features new and old villains in a great and workable way.

I'm hoping that someone else does pick up on the new Amazonian tribe thing and also features more appearances from Donna Troy, Artemis Grace, Atalanta, and the Bana-Mighdall queen.
    I feel like Orlando is a writer who has a great love of the character and her world and could do really well (and has flashes of greatness and great individual issues), but his hands are tied by what he was handed when he arrived. He might have been better off with his own version of Wonder Woman he could build from scratch, with stronger art attached to it. Serialized building off of other runs is a real weakness for this property. This volume just ran out of gas after Robinson and Wilson and building off of those is not an enviable task. The guys who start a new volume (Perez, Azzarello and Rucka) tend to have the best luck out of all of them, they have way more freedom and everything is fresh.

It's kind of like Gail Simone. A really solid first year on the title that turned mediocre, but she got saddled with Amazons Attack and the Diana Prince stuff and had at least two notable instances of editorial interference (Circe couldn't have been behind the Amazons' behavior, and Genocide couldn't be Knockout) with possible others. In an ideal world, Rucka would have been able to finish his first run and Simone would have been given the book immediately after to probably much better results. Same here, I wish Orlando or even a returning Simone had been given the book right after Rucka left with better artists. Or like Phil Jimenez, whose run was originally a self contained 12 part series that was re-worked to fit into main continuity. And it turned out very good, but I imagine it would have been better being its own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I feel like Orlando is a writer who has a great love of the character and her world and could do really well (and has flashes of greatness and great individual issues), but his hands are tied by what he was handed when he arrived. He might have been better off with his own version of Wonder Woman he could build from scratch, with stronger art attached to it. Serialized building off of other runs is a real weakness for this property. This volume just ran out of gas after Robinson and Wilson and building off of those is not an enviable task. The guys who start a new volume (Perez, Azzarello and Rucka) tend to have the best luck out of all of them, they have way more freedom and everything is fresh.

It's kind of like Gail Simone. A really solid first year on the title that turned mediocre, but she got saddled with Amazons Attack and the Diana Prince stuff and had at least two notable instances of editorial interference (Circe couldn't have been behind the Amazons' behavior, and Genocide couldn't be Knockout) with possible others. In an ideal world, Rucka would have been able to finish his first run and Simone would have been given the book immediately after to probably much better results. Same here, I wish Orlando or even a returning Simone had been given the book right after Rucka left with better artists. Or like Phil Jimenez, whose run was originally a self contained 12 part series that was re-worked to fit into main continuity. And it turned out very good, but I imagine it would have been better being its own thing.
    Yeah, feels like Orlando would have been perfect for something like the stories from the Wal-Mart books or the digital Sensation title from a few years back where they largely exist in their own continuities.

Wonder Woman Annual #4 had PERFECT art! It wasn't just the much missed earrings which were nice, it was the overall level of detail and the facial expressions that made it so great. Jack Herbert should be made the main artist immediately, he fit the title just as well as Steve Orlando and NO ONE else knows what WW fans want to read like him. I've been waiting for a second lost tribe of Amazons since Perez.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Orlando's Wonder Woman run ... runs? Hodge podge? Smattering? Has been low-key, stealth one of the best Wonder Woman runs of all time. It's so weird but kind of anecdotal that it's so under-the-radar and not exactly on the hype train, but here he is, alternating runs that are hardly fill-ins, and rounding out basically a pretty full Volume of WW storytelling - with a gorgeous "TO BE CONTINUED" at the end here.

I eagerly await the next chapter.

Steve Orlando's run has been one of my modern favorites. There was a balance of fun, action and characterization in his work that was sorely missing from the previous two writers. I also appreciated how Orlando was able to weave in his previous solo issues into the annual. I did not expect to see Atalanta or Faruka again--so nice surprise. And yes to seeing more lasso action.

And I just have a great appreciation for an Annual that told a fully contained story that tied up several (not all) loose ends from Orlando's run.

And the artwork was stunning. If only Jack Herbert draw the entirety of Orlando's run--I liked his pacing and layouts, his depictions of Diana, and the action scenes had energy and movement.

I hope there's an Orlando's Wonder Woman trade/omnibus soon.

Great issue! I've been waiting for someone to follow up on that plot point about the other Amazon tribes for ages, never thought I'd actually see the day. Orlando's run kinda reminds of Jimenez', in the sense that his WW stories may not be the greatest, but you can just feel the love he has for the character and her world (and continuity!). It's just a joy to read.

Sigh. Now back to the sword and shield, Max Lord and a new villain that will be forgotten once Tamaki's run ends.

Jeez, art here is the best the book's had since the Scott/Sharp days.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

His run was tick-box wish-fulfillment in its purest form, no wonder you guys love it so much, it’s as if it was written by a committee of Wonder Woman fans.

Jason popped up to announce he’s gay and promptly disappeared again, tick, tick, tick

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    His run was tick-box wish-fulfillment in its purest form, no wonder you guys love it so much, it’s as if it was written by a committee of Wonder Woman fans.

Jason popped up to announce he’s gay and promptly disappeared again, tick, tick, tick
    You've got to give the people what they want, that's what makes fan favorite runs.

And who knew we wanted magic spheres launched into space so every Amazon everywhere could talk to each other?

Steve Orlando did.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

What happened to Bryan Hitch's ability to draw beautiful women? That Diana on the cover is...um...rough. This is the second time Hitch draws Wonder Woman as....well, let's just say that Aphrodite's original gift to Diana was not exactly evident in these drawings.