Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I think it's plausible that Peter and Gwen did have sex back then, from a modern perspective. I doubt Stan Lee clouded his head with this type of questions, but a present writer could definitely say it happened ... but there is also Sins Past, where canon gets shady. As far as I know this is the only story that confirms Peter and Gwen didn't have sex, but most people would like this story to be forgotten, and it could've been, but it was brought back again many years after OMD, in the Heroic Age IIRC, which means it's always there for a writer that could want to use it back. It was ignored in Clone Conspiracy, but that wasn't exactly a good story either, and it didn't explicitly negate it
    From a story perspective, it adds a touch of sadness if Peter and Gwen never consummated their relationship. It adds adds to the layers that already exist...i.e. Gwen died without knowing Peter was Spider-Man, without gaining catharsis for her father's death, being unconscious at the moment of her death...so that meant that she died without knowing she was going to die, which is part of the reason why her death is so cruel in its staging. So it's sad on many levels.

When Lee wrote Spider-Man in the '60s, he was still part of industry self-censorship but he was also personally old fashioned himself and wouldn't have been comfortable exploring sexuality in an all-ages comic (it took Chris Claremont in the X-Men titles to really start dealing with that). So for instance Peter's relationship with Gwen is framed in a very stodgy old-fashioned way, i.e. Peter has to prove himself worthy of Gwen's affections to her father Captain George. The first kiss that Peter and Gwen had on page was ASM#59 and in the panel of their first kiss, George Stacy looks on and approves as a cheerleader. That doesn't make sense today of course, and obviously a modern writer if he figures that Peter's college era now happened in say the late 2000s-2010s because comic book time has come forward would assume that Peter and Gwen did get it on. Of course, they would also assume that Peter and Betty Brant got it on, and think that Betty was Peter's first.

More important is the issue of space, if Peter and Gwen got it on, where did they do it? Gwen lived with her father. Peter stayed with Harry Osborn in his loft, and he hardly had much free time to use his bachelor pad...and likewise Harry was a pretty terrible roommate all things considered, so I wonder if Peter and Gwen would feel comfortable using his room. It makes less sense with Betty, because while she had an apartment and a place to stay, Peter stayed at Forest Hills during the entire time in the L-D era. One of things about Conway's run is that it was the first time Peter finally got an apartment all to himself at a place down in Chelsea (at the time code for cheap rat-infested apartments...today gentrified as all-get-out). So that meant he had a place to bring girls home at last, which he did at the end of ASM#149 and later on with Felicia.

Astonishing Member

Didn't Peter have sex with Betty when she and Ned were going through marital problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    From a story perspective, it adds a touch of sadness if Peter and Gwen never consummated their relationship. It adds adds to the layers that already exist...i.e. Gwen died without knowing Peter was Spider-Man, without gaining catharsis for her father's death, being unconscious at the moment of her death...so that meant that she died without knowing she was going to die, which is part of the reason why her death is so cruel in its staging. So it's sad on many levels.

When Lee wrote Spider-Man in the '60s, he was still part of industry self-censorship but he was also personally old fashioned himself and wouldn't have been comfortable exploring sexuality in an all-ages comic (it took Chris Claremont in the X-Men titles to really start dealing with that). So for instance Peter's relationship with Gwen is framed in a very stodgy old-fashioned way, i.e. Peter has to prove himself worthy of Gwen's affections to her father Captain George. The first kiss that Peter and Gwen had on page was ASM#59 and in the panel of their first kiss, George Stacy looks on and approves as a cheerleader. That doesn't make sense today of course, and obviously a modern writer if he figures that Peter's college era now happened in say the late 2000s-2010s because comic book time has come forward would assume that Peter and Gwen did get it on. Of course, they would also assume that Peter and Betty Brant got it on, and think that Betty was Peter's first.

More important is the issue of space, if Peter and Gwen got it on, where did they do it? Gwen lived with her father. Peter stayed with Harry Osborn in his loft, and he hardly had much free time to use his bachelor pad...and likewise Harry was a pretty terrible roommate all things considered, so I wonder if Peter and Gwen would feel comfortable using his room. It makes less sense with Betty, because while she had an apartment and a place to stay, Peter stayed at Forest Hills during the entire time in the L-D era. One of things about Conway's run is that it was the first time Peter finally got an apartment all to himself at a place down in Chelsea (at the time code for cheap rat-infested apartments...today gentrified as all-get-out). So that meant he had a place to bring girls home at last, which he did at the end of ASM#149 and later on with Felicia.
    We need a sequel to Trouble, bringing back Mark Millar and Terry Dodson, but this time exploring Peter's sexual life. I can see Mark Millar showing how Peter's first time was at his 21, with Anna Watson! And a third part could deal with Peter's inner incest desires, how else could you explain that he married MJ,the living image of a young aunt May? ... I really need a sci-fi machine to forget Trouble forever
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Didn't Peter have sex with Betty when she and Ned were going through marital problems?
    That was in Wolfman's run and it seems accidental on his part. But officially, editorially, it did not happen.

Peter-MJ and Peter-Felicia though did.

DiTkO
    bEtTy
    DeSk
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Not that it matters or Peter cares anyway, and rightly so. But I'd say no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I doubt that Peter was MJ's first.
    I know MJ was very flirty and popular, but considering her commitment issues I honestly don't know if she'd commit to that extent for a little fooling around (not that I'd judge her for it).
    I think it's plausible that Peter and Gwen did have sex back then, from a modern perspective. I doubt Stan Lee clouded his head with this type of questions, but a present writer could definitely say it happened ... but there is also Sins Past, where canon gets shady. As far as I know this is the only story that confirms Peter and Gwen didn't have sex, but most people would like this story to be forgotten, and it could've been, but it was brought back again many years after OMD, in the Heroic Age IIRC, which means it's always there for a writer that could want to use it back. It was ignored in Clone Conspiracy, but that wasn't exactly a good story either, and it didn't explicitly negate it
    Peter and Gwen had that kind of pure first love relationship, and on-top of their emotional hangups at the time, I'm not surprised that they never had sex.

Fantastic Member

Did they ever show Betty and Peter even kissing in the 60s? It was like the most platonic relationship of all time, if memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by jebsib View Post
    Did they ever show Betty and Peter even kissing in the 60s? It was like the most platonic relationship of all time, if memory serves.
    It really was; I think he walked her home and they hung out on some "dates", but it was barely a relationship.

Incredible Member

No, Pete and Gwen did not "do it" back then, no Silver Age Marvel comic book character, aside from Nick Fury and Contessa Allegra De Fontaine "did it" back then....alright, Reed and Susan Richards , Franklin had to be made somehow....but for the most part, at least on the mainstream companies' comic book, I don't know about magazine, format...NO Comicbook Character DID IT.

Anyhow, could always be plausible, but only through retro-retcons, like that Gwen Stacy mini, or any recollection of Peter that was or would be told later in recent comic years, but back in the sixties - early seventies, they did not "do it", because the general prudence of comics, under the Comics Code, did not write or drew them to.
    Last edited by ngroove; 08-16-2020 at 09:44 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chubistian View Post
    we need a sequel to trouble, bringing back mark millar and terry dodson, but this time exploring peter's sexual life. I can see mark millar showing how peter's first time was at his 21, with anna watson! And a third part could deal with peter's inner incest desires, how else could you explain that he married mj,the living image of a young aunt may? ... I really need a sci-fi machine to forget trouble forever
    eeeeeew! Disgusting filthiness!!!

Astonishing Member

That was in Wolfman's run and it seems accidental on his part. But officially, editorially, it did not happen.

Peter-MJ and Peter-Felicia though did.
    It was no accident. Otherwise, it would not had been published. Jim Shooter didn't catch the mistake. Anyway, I wished that during the BND era that the writers used the opportunity to further develop Peter Parker and Betty Brant's relationship towards being a loving couple once again instead of all the other forgettable relationships that was given to him. Thus, there could had been a true love triangle for Peter that would comprised of Betty Brant, Mary Jane, and Felicia Hardy. Makes for a good story respectively.

I heard that back in high school Coma Girl was easy....

Wrought from the page of a comic years old
    Jonah's heart is black and his hands are cold
    C-C-Cold are his hands looking for Peter Parker's throat
    'Fore he needs his Spidey pictures sold
    Peter with Betty in an office before
    Ditko phoned in plotting more and more
    In a nearby desk is my declaration
    That Uncle Ben's favorite nephew first got some

BOW DOWN BETTY HATERS (UNDER THE DESK!)
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

I'm going to go with Betty Brant.

I really doubt Peter and Betty ever had sex in the early comics. My impression from the Lee/Ditko comics was it wasn't really a deep, committed relationship. Peter was in high school for the whole time and it felt like a more innocent thing. It's not a more serious thing like Ultimate Peter and Mary Jane going through hell and back together, knowing Peter's identity, and actually talking about if they should do the deed. Besides, isn't Betty a few years older?