Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    I really doubt Peter and Betty ever had sex in the early comics. My impression from the Lee/Ditko comics was it wasn't really a deep, committed relationship. Peter was in high school for the whole time and it felt like a more innocent thing. It's not a more serious thing like Ultimate Peter and Mary Jane going through hell and back together, knowing Peter's identity, and actually talking about if they should do the deed. Besides, isn't Betty a few years older?
    Back in those days she was presented as around his age (is actually likely that he was older than her to be honest), so not really. The Spec cartoon (and maybe some modern comics) had presented her as older than him thougth.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    I really doubt Peter and Betty ever had sex in the early comics. My impression from the Lee/Ditko comics was it wasn't really a deep, committed relationship. Peter was in high school for the whole time and it felt like a more innocent thing. It's not a more serious thing like Ultimate Peter and Mary Jane going through hell and back together, knowing Peter's identity, and actually talking about if they should do the deed. Besides, isn't Betty a few years older?
    I wonder if Ultimate Peter and MJ finally did it after he came back to life.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Back in those days she was presented as around his age (is actually likely that he was older than her to be honest), so not really. The Spec cartoon (and maybe some modern comics) had presented her as older than him thougth.
    I think an Untold Tale of Spider-Man showed her dropping out of high school to work for Jonah.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I think an Untold Tale of Spider-Man showed her dropping out of high school to work for Jonah.
    Well they had a week before the world explode so..
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, it's pretty definitive that MJ was Peter's First Time.

I think a more interesting question would be if Peter was MJ's First.
    Is it definitive that MJ was actually Peter's first time or is it just that MJ was the first person we saw Peter have a sexual relationship with? Remember, the original concept that JMS had for Sins Past was that Gwen's twins were actually Peter's kids. And even though that was changed because TPTB didn't want Peter to be a father, it still might be a sign that Gwen and Peter did actually have a sexual relationship.

In the sixties we are told in a letter's column that Betty was a little younger than Peter but had to drop out of school to work.
    Sins Past definitely says Peter and Gwen never had intercourse. Blue definitely implies they were about to get sexual. My compromise there is that Peter and Gwen did "things" but did not go "all the way".
    MJ was the first person we know he has sex with. Then Betty, then Felicia.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Is it definitive that MJ was actually Peter's first time or is it just that MJ was the first person we saw Peter have a sexual relationship with? Remember, the original concept that JMS had for Sins Past was that Gwen's twins were actually Peter's kids. And even though that was changed because TPTB didn't want Peter to be a father, it still might be a sign that Gwen and Peter did actually have a sexual relationship.
    Sins Past pretty much has Peter flat out say he didn't have sex with Gwen. Whatever was considered for the story, that's what made it to print.

BANNED

Considering that they basically ran away into the sunset on Anna Watson's SUV, I'd say the two of them found a lot of time together taking a well deserved vacation, and since it was a road trip, I'd say they found a lot of rest-stops and motels along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Is it definitive that MJ was actually Peter's first time or is it just that MJ was the first person we saw Peter have a sexual relationship with?
    That scene at the end of ASM#149 is the first time readers got a clear hint that Peter was a growing boy. The former though will probably be left and kept ambiguous by editors and writers.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Sins Past definitely says Peter and Gwen never had intercourse. Blue definitely implies they were about to get sexual. My compromise there is that Peter and Gwen did "things" but did not go "all the way".
    Tom Brevoort said that the extramarital affair with Betty never went that far. As editor that's what he has to say, i.e. Peter was never party to adultery. So I'd say it's MJ and Felicia before marriage.

It's interesting to think of stories where Peter's sex life was a major story element. The major ones that leap out is Sins' Past where Peter's entire "it can't be mine" rests on his claim that he and Gwen never got it on. The other one is in Spider-Island where the reason given for Mary Jane's longer immunity to the virus is because she and Peter "shared a toothbrush" for years (which felt like a putdown of Spider-Man Reign and its ludicrous premise). The fact that Peter and MJ are respectively the person both of them have sexed the most is the more crucial takeaway than whether either is each other's first.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    In the sixties we are told in a letter's column that Betty was a little younger than Peter but had to drop out of school to work.
    Blue pretty much says Gwen and he had sex. But I don't think that is canon, is it?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Blue pretty much says Gwen and he had sex. But I don't think that is canon, is it?
    I don't think Blue was saying they had sex; I always took it as, "Oh, she caught him unaware and just made out." Maybe that's naive of me, but I never got the overt impression that Gwen would have done that with Peter. And whether it's in canon...yes? And no? Obviously, the events are jumbled in Peter's memory, so it could go either way.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I don't think Blue was saying they had sex; I always took it as, "Oh, she caught him unaware and just made out." Maybe that's naive of me, but I never got the overt impression that Gwen would have done that with Peter. And whether it's in canon...yes? And no? Obviously, the events are jumbled in Peter's memory, so it could go either way.
    The way that last kiss with Gwen was framed seemed to kind of indicate something more intimate happened after, but I've never held Blue as being strictly canon.

BANNED

Spider-Man Blue was written before Sins' Past. It came out in 2002, so when Loeb wrote that, he may have wanted that to be when Peter and Gwen got it on...and yet the entire thing was framed as a kind of chiffon-light nostalgia piece, through a haze of memories and fantasies. It's very much a nostalgia mood piece.

Astonishing Member

Trivial questions such as who Peter lost his virginity to are much harder to get a concrete answer for if we are taking the 616 continuity because the 616 continuity changes its trivial facts all the time. For instance, how old was 616 Peter when he got bit? He was 15,16, and 17 according to different writers, while Ultimate Peter was always objectively 15.

Taking this into account, if the next ASM issue states that Betty or Gwen were Peter's first and that it was just never implied in the Silver Age, it wouldn't be a stretch. The only thing that would contradict Gwen being Peter's first is Sins Past, but Sins Past has been mostly ignored since its release (and straight-up retconned since OMD).
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 08-19-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Trivial questions such as who Peter lost his virginity to are much harder to get a concrete answer for if we are taking the 616 continuity because the 616 continuity changes its trivial facts all the time. For instance, how old was 616 Peter when he got bit? He was 15,16, and 17 according to different writers, while Ultimate Peter was always objectively 15.

Taking this into account, if the next ASM issue states that Betty or Gwen were Peter's first and that it was just never implied in the Silver Age, it wouldn't be a stretch. The only thing that would contradict Gwen being Peter's first is Sins Past, but Sins Past has been mostly ignored since its release (and straight-up retconned since OMD).
    Not to try to bring up Sins Past, but how did it get retconned? There was a miniseries called ASM Presents: American Son starring Peter, Harry, and Gabriel Osborn, straight from Sins Past

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Not to try to bring up Sins Past, but how did it get retconned? There was a miniseries called ASM Presents: American Son starring Peter, Harry, and Gabriel Osborn, straight from Sins Past
    It didn't. The twins still exist, so Marvel is just doing what it did for a long while with One More Day --- refuse to acknowledge it in hopes the fans will eventually forget about it.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Didn't know about that. I was under the impression it got retconned after OMD and was practically treated as uncanon prior to that (only reference to it I can think of is in Ellis' Thunderbolts).