Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    That I have no idea why so many comic fans seem to hero worship a psychopathic serial killer.
    I know, right? Guess the same reason why fans hero worship Freddy Krueger.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcady59 View Post
    My controversial opinion is that Two-face is a better, far more interesting character
    I think so too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I like him better when he was less horror movie villain and a little bit lighter in tone. Still a dangerous villain, not camp, but I'm over him being like the antagonist of a slasher film.
    Totally agree.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

The Joker being a physical threat to Batman makes him a lot less interesting and only makes sense if you think of him like a video game character who needs to balance his physical frailty with speed or something. The second Bruce is on him, The Joker should wilt. He's an ideological and intellectual threat.

He's not as interesting a foil to Bruce as Harvey Dent is. The Joker works against Bruce thematically, but because he exists almost as a plot device he doesn't really conceptually actually attack Bruce on a personal level. He's deceptively flat because he's a character with no real motivation, actually requires writers don't show their work for how he gets **** done, and his reputation as Bruce's biggest bad means he takes people down and invents skills like Bruce just because he has to be kingdaddy of the Bat villains.

Ever since Morrison's run, The Joker has become subsequently less interesting because he keeps getting turned into some metaphysical cypher for evil and he isn't really a character. More importantly, he's gotten so out of hand that everyone in Gotham is impotent because they can't contain or kill this goddamn clown who kills hundreds all the time. At some point, some cop or citizen is just going to shoot him in the head while he's at Arkham, death penalty be damned. He's gotten so big that there really is no excuse for the GCPD/Bat Family anymore. He's practically a pandemic. Morrison, Snyder, etc. They've all turned the guy into a walking plague who is so stupid his heart is a toxic time bomb. It's just stupid.

Above all else, the fascination (Snyder is most guilty of this) of having him and Batman team up is really goddamn annoying and has to stop. Every time it just gets worse. It ruins every story it occurs in. Metal. Last Knight. Europa. It's a terrible idea. Bruce would just wring his neck and call one of his billion of allies to help. Stop. Just stop. It undermines everything Bruce stands for as a character, concept and hero.

It's a shame. When done correctly, The Joker can be very compelling but like his opposite number, popularity has taken away all his weaknesses and edges and turned him into some generic villain who can just do whatever he wants because it'll sell. It's sad.
    Last edited by Robanker; 09-27-2020 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    That I have no idea why so many comic fans seem to hero worship a psychopathic serial killer.
    It's extremely weird to me, I get villains' have a fans we all have our favorites but he has real worshipers.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

1. I don't like Joker having a sympathetic background in any version. He should just be a psychophatic serial killer for no reason at all.

2. I really like Harley and Joker parting ways after she realizes it was a toxic relationship.

3. Joker shouldn't be obsessed and "in love" with Batman. He should just be chaotic, and a criminal with a clown thematic.

4. Joker never loved Harley. He just loves himself, and even then, in a very twisted way.

5. The thing with him becoming a boogey man or something was absurd.

6. Actually, no other big criminal should be afraid of him... Even his unpredictability should have limits.

Joker was only with Harley because he founds it funny that any woman would be in an obvious toxic/abusive relationship and would stay with that person

I really don't like the idea that Joker can't remember his own origin. I think the only purpose that serves is to make him less of a character and more some vague symbolic thing. Frankly, the vague symbolic thing is played out and was never that interesting to begin with.

I'd prefer Joker know who he is and where he came from and just doesn't want anybody else to know. You could actually get a lot of mileage out of the occassional character who knew him when he was "Jack" (or whatever they decide his name is.)

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    2. I really like Harley and Joker parting ways after she realizes it was a toxic relationship.

3. Joker shouldn't be obsessed and "in love" with Batman. He should just be chaotic, and a criminal with a clown thematic.

4. Joker never loved Harley. He just loves himself, and even then, in a very twisted way.

6. Actually, no other big criminal should be afraid of him... Even his unpredictability should have limits.
    Yes on all counts.