Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Or, in some cases when they try to write German and botch it hard. In a Wolverine issue, I guess it was called the long winter (or something similar) a nazi soldier shouted "Scheissen" instead of "schiessen". The soldier said in German "Shitting" where he should have said "shoot". I couldn't believe my eyes...
    It’s harder to justify nowadays with automatic translators… although it’s not very important for readers who don’t know German.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    You notice they used a insert, not to provide a translation, but to report what is this language you cannot read…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I hate this too. Do they expect us to retype it into Google just to read an effing comic. What is wrong with Italicized and a "translated from" note. Someti es I think the writer just wants to show how clever they are.
    And worse is when there is an Alien language like kryptonian or Klingon. Sorry you are just wasting your time and mine, it doesn't add to the story.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Dav85 View Post
    It says (in a very grammatically broken and wrong Italian) from left to right bottom pannels: "Who the hell are you? Put down my baby" reply "not your baby Francesco... next panel:" Mine".
    You're a lifesaver, Dav85! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    You notice they used a insert, not to provide a translation, but to report what is this language you cannot read…
    Dav85 already translated for me the page into English. But thanks for your concern, Zelena. It is greatly appreciated.

Dav85 already translated for me the page into English. But thanks for your concern, Zelena. It is greatly appreciated.
    Maybe, I should had added: “It shows how perfidious they are”… Usually, the text stays in English and in the insert, it is written: translation from x provided by…

All-New Member

You're a lifesaver, Dav85! Thanks.

My pleasure. Probably even trying Google Translate wouldn't have given much of a contest, the way they
    wrote the dialogues doesn't make much of a sense at all. I wish writers would stop writing in languages they don't know thinking you can just look up to the words on a dictionary

Didn’t feel like this warranted it’s own thread, and it bugs me I can’t find a good answer so...

Are there female heroes w. male sidekicks?
    Only one that comes to my mind are Stargirl and STRIPE (which is also an example of younger hero/older sidekick, but that’s a whole other thing) from DC.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Didn’t feel like this warranted it’s own thread, and it bugs me I can’t find a good answer so...

Only one that comes to my mind are Stargirl and STRIPE (which is also an example of younger hero/older sidekick, but that’s a whole other thing) from DC.
    Batgirl and Robin shared a feature in The Batman Family comics in the mid-1970s, although that was a more a partner thing than a sidekick gig. To a degree, Nemesis was Wonder Woman's sidekick for a while. It's outside of superheroes, but Modesty Blaise had Willie Garvin, her platonic friend, bodyguard and skullcracker.

Sydney Fox and Nigel Bailey (Relic Hunter)

In comics, I would say… “Cat’s eye”. Three burglar sisters and their unintended sidekick, the policeman (who is the boyfriend of one of them)…

Boisterously Confused

As I think about it, could we consider Steve Trevor a sidekick?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    As I think about it, could we consider Steve Trevor a sidekick?
    Yes, we can.

LOL, thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Batgirl and Robin shared a feature in The Batman Family comics in the mid-1970s, although that was a more a partner thing than a sidekick gig. To a degree, Nemesis was Wonder Woman's sidekick for a while. It's outside of superheroes, but Modesty Blaise had Willie Garvin, her platonic friend, bodyguard and skullcracker.
    If it counts, there was also...

Thrillkiller: Batgirl & Robin (1997)

And the sequel...

Thrillkiller '62 (1998)

Last edited by K7P5V; 03-15-2021 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Boisterously Confused

Code names deliberately misspelled as a "kewl indicator." I give Dr. Midnite a pass on this as he was the first, but the 1990s seemed just full of Stryfes and Blackwulfs, etc.

Now, I get it. It's meant to convey tone through written text, but if you imagine it in conversation, it just doesn't work.

Retired

Sheena, Queen of the Jungle, created by Will Eisner and Jerry Iger in 1938, had a sidekick named Bob. Later on her sidekick was retconned as Rick. Not much good for anything. I think this was a tradition with other jungle girls in comics, where she would have some male side piece who just stood there while she did all the work. But I'm too lazy to research it and come up with other examples.