Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 78
  1. #1
    Astonishing Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    2,731

    Default Meaningless things in comics that kind of bug you.

    So we all have our issues at times with comics. Artists, storylines, or whatever. But I wanted to know what are some meaningless things in commics that big you. Things that are very goofy to be bothered by yet you can not get over.

    I have one. In Amazing Spiderman 1. When spider-man was breaking into the Baxter building. Sue asks why he didn't make an appointment. The Thing answers it is because he is a cornball teenage showoff. How in the world would The Thing know that Spiderman is a teenager? Just always irked me.

    So what are yours?
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  2. #2
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,072

    Default

    In Captain America Civil War, everybody kind of knew Spidey was really young, so...
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  3. #3
    Mighty Member TriggerWarning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1,023

    Default

    Powers getting nerfed all the time in order for drama or splash pages. Realistic fights using many powers would be boring or over instantly so the powers get nerfed. For instance, any fight where one party has telekinesis. The TK character always gets nerfed and ends up fighting by throwing objects with TK at the person they are fighting. This makes a cool splash page or panel and allows the other character to dodge and close distance. Here is how a real fight should go down if TK wasn't nerfed: 1) if the opponent has no long distance power then just lift them off the ground, the fight is over. You can shred them at leisure or just deposit them on top of a nearby building etc, 2) if the opponent has a long distance power but needs to see you aka Cylcops or any projectile type attack then lift them and turn them around, now go back to #1, 3) if #1 and #2 won't work because they have a long distance attack and don't have to see you to use it aka telepathy, magic, etc simply use TK to stop their heart briefly or temporarily cut off blood flow to the brain - Jean Grey has used this once or twice to instantly knock someone out. Any TK character would win a majority of fights almost instantly this way but that would lead to boring fights and claims of them being overpowered so they get nerfed.

    Interestingly I've seen some novelized superhero stuff, like Worm, actually address this issue by introducing some sort of weird quirk of superpowers where a person cannot directly affect the mass of another, aka they are nerfing TK's and people with similar powers for the very reasons I mention. But at least they address it unlike comics.

  4. #4
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Powers getting nerfed all the time in order for drama or splash pages. Realistic fights using many powers would be boring or over instantly so the powers get nerfed. For instance, any fight where one party has telekinesis. The TK character always gets nerfed and ends up fighting by throwing objects with TK at the person they are fighting. This makes a cool splash page or panel and allows the other character to dodge and close distance. Here is how a real fight should go down if TK wasn't nerfed: 1) if the opponent has no long distance power then just lift them off the ground, the fight is over. You can shred them at leisure or just deposit them on top of a nearby building etc, 2) if the opponent has a long distance power but needs to see you aka Cylcops or any projectile type attack then lift them and turn them around, now go back to #1, 3) if #1 and #2 won't work because they have a long distance attack and don't have to see you to use it aka telepathy, magic, etc simply use TK to stop their heart briefly or temporarily cut off blood flow to the brain - Jean Grey has used this once or twice to instantly knock someone out. Any TK character would win a majority of fights almost instantly this way but that would lead to boring fights and claims of them being overpowered so they get nerfed.

    Interestingly I've seen some novelized superhero stuff, like Worm, actually address this issue by introducing some sort of weird quirk of superpowers where a person cannot directly affect the mass of another, aka they are nerfing TK's and people with similar powers for the very reasons I mention. But at least they address it unlike comics.
    If you want to humiliate the opponent, have the Teke force their lips and nostrils shut.

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,654

    Default

    Superspeed: everything about it.

    Telepathy: real thoughts are often nonsensical. Very rarely are theY 100% coherent.

    Physical appearance: why does every look like a model?

  6. #6
    MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,968

    Default

    The biggest thing is powers not being used well/logically which leads to characters jobbing. I really don't care if powers would ruin a story. I'd rather the story not be told than to see established powers squandered.

    Also, destruction happens too easily and too often. Instead of characters being thrown through walls and stuff, I'd rather they hit the wall, stop, and slide down it without much damage to the wall. One of the most irksome things I've seen was a Wolverine-Domino love scene where he was knocking her into walls, causing them to crack. Poor Dom. She doesn't have any sort of superhuman durability. I never, EVER want to see Cap's shield damaged unless its a major plot point of a story. I don't want a cracked shield used to sell a story that isn't about Cap's shield being destroyed. And I don't really want anything bigger than a building destroyed (no cities, planets, galaxies, universes).

    On the other hand, when a character like Superman holds up an airplane or ship (or something else like that), I'd prefer to see the object break in half or a hole get formed than the plane magically being able to support its own weight while being held like that.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

  7. #7
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    When one of the big two put out a one shot that leads directly into the upcoming storyline. Like the Sin Eater story right now in Amazing Spider-Man. One shot to explain the character of the Sin Eater and then start the story in AMS 44. Why don't they put it directly in the book...oh I know....money....

  8. #8
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,632

    Default

    Reality Manipulation powers. Writers have plenty of tools for deus ex machina effects without trying to make an ability of it.

  9. #9
    All-New Member emoelmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    So we all have our issues at times with comics. Artists, storylines, or whatever. But I wanted to know what are some meaningless things in commics that big you. Things that are very goofy to be bothered by yet you can not get over.

    I have one. In Amazing Spiderman 1. When spider-man was breaking into the Baxter building. Sue asks why he didn't make an appointment. The Thing answers it is because he is a cornball teenage showoff. How in the world would The Thing know that Spiderman is a teenager? Just always irked me.

    So what are yours?
    Early Marvel comics were pretty wink and nod about their fictional meta-awareness. Doctor Doom literally met Stan and Jack too.

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    3,615

    Default

    Captain America not knowing about Myspace being something that made him out of touch.


  11. #11
    Courage looks like this Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,956

    Default

    I don't consider it meaningless but, along with a lot of other people, powers being ignored to force a story in the direction the writer wants instead of the story flowing with the abilities of the characters.

    I thought Spider-Man versus Wolverine was going great until Wolverine suddenly was on a speed level to even be remotely close to Spider-Man despite all previous showings being that he wasn't. Even that would have been okay if they kept Wolverine on that level but he went right back to being ploddingly slow compared to Spider-Man in all stories for years after. It wasn't necessary for Wolverine to be a match for Spider-Man in a fight and it took me right out of an otherwise great story.

    I know such things are common but it's annoying every time especially when easily correctible but writer ego gets in the way and he's got to tell exactly what he wants to tell instead of a story that could still be told with a little adjustment.

    One common thread of most stories, especially action stories, is the character that instantly or almost instantly masters a skill that he has never tried before. People becoming masters in a fight in a week or a month or even a few months is annoying. I guess it's supposed to be a vicarious fantasy to put yourself in the character's place but when you know how long such things really take, it's just annoying and you try to ignore it to enjoy the rest of the story.
    This is what courage looks like.

  12. #12
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,426

    Default

    Jonah Hex's overall melted face doesn't bother me, but that one gloop that connects from top to bottom of his mouth, why doesn't he snip that?
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-17-2020 at 03:44 PM.

  13. #13
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Jonah Hex's overall melted face doesn't bother me, but that one gloop that connects from top to bottom of his mouth, why doesn't he snip that?
    Cause it'd hurt?

  14. #14
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Jonah Hex's overall melted face doesn't bother me, but that one gloop that connects from top to bottom of his mouth, why doesn't he snip that?
    Thats the reason I can't read Jionah Hex. I can't stand looking at it all the time...

  15. #15
    Mighty Member TriggerWarning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1,023

    Default

    Here is another: the ridiculous depictions of super strength in comics.

    1) Someone lifts a car by the bumper or a building by the corner. What would really happen is the bumper would rip off and the building would just crumble around the super strong person's hands. Grab the car by the axle and and then you can lift the car. But you'll never be able to lift a building without the building falling apart around where you lifting.

    2) Someone stops a speeding car, train, plane, etc using their super strength. Um no. Doesn't matter how strong you are because the kinetic energy of that object is going to be so much greater than you are that it will knock you aside with ease. This was mostly ridiculously depicted in an issue of the X-men long ago when Rogue stopped a speeding train and stopped it by using her strength against it with her feet on the ground. It would have knocked her aside with ease.

    3) Someone with super strength but without invulnerability lifting heavy objects. Ever see a gym video where someones legs snap during squats or other extreme heavy loads? Yeah this is whats going to happen 100% of the time when a non invulnerable character tries to lift a car (by the axle, see point #1) or something heavier. Looking at you Spiderman.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •