Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Captain America not knowing about Myspace being something that made him out of touch.
    Yeah. The idea of Cap being a "man out of time" and uncomfortable in the present pisses me off.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Jonah Hex's overall melted face doesn't bother me, but that one gloop that connects from top to bottom of his mouth, why doesn't he snip that?
    Must be a challenge every time he brushes his teeth too, eh?

^LOL!
    And how do Hex and Two-Face keep that eyeball moist and dust free without the ability to blink.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Here is another: the ridiculous depictions of super strength in comics.

1) Someone lifts a car by the bumper or a building by the corner. What would really happen is the bumper would rip off and the building would just crumble around the super strong person's hands. Grab the car by the axle and and then you can lift the car. But you'll never be able to lift a building without the building falling apart around where you lifting.

2) Someone stops a speeding car, train, plane, etc using their super strength. Um no. Doesn't matter how strong you are because the kinetic energy of that object is going to be so much greater than you are that it will knock you aside with ease. This was mostly ridiculously depicted in an issue of the X-men long ago when Rogue stopped a speeding train and stopped it by using her strength against it with her feet on the ground. It would have knocked her aside with ease.

3) Someone with super strength but without invulnerability lifting heavy objects. Ever see a gym video where someones legs snap during squats or other extreme heavy loads? Yeah this is whats going to happen 100% of the time when a non invulnerable character tries to lift a car (by the axle, see point #1) or something heavier. Looking at you Spiderman.
    This is why I like Byrne's Gladiator/Superman approach that high-end super-strongsters are psychokinetic. In my head-canon, they find focusing their PK thru gestures easier than wishing hard. It explains things like Hulk slapping up a hurricane, or stomping up an earthquake, as well as Wonder Woman lifting a 70-ton tank without it ripping her tendons, or driving her into the ground like a tent-peg.

Clearly, there are some characters outside that constraint. Giants, like Atom-Smasher or Atlas, and mechanically enhanced beings like Commander Steel or Iron Man. You can even give an explanation to somebody like Wonder Man, who's made of energy. But Flesh-And-Blooders need another answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    Must be a challenge every time he brushes his teeth too, eh?
    Was dental hygiene considered an essential way of life in those days?

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    ^LOL!
    And how do Hex and Two-Face keep that eyeball moist and dust free without the ability to blink.
    LOL! Don't forget...

Snake-Eyes

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Yeah. The idea of Cap being a "man out of time" and uncomfortable in the present pisses me off.
    Why? It adds to his humanity. Makes him not all inspiring and perfect and I like him even more for it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Captain America not knowing about Myspace being something that made him out of touch.

I mean in real time Cap got thawed out in the 60's, right? how much time has passed in the Marvel Universe, who can say but this is why I've never found Captain America anything interesting in the slight. People complain that Superman is hard to relate to because he's the ultimate boy scout but at least he's up to date on current events as Clark Kent obviously working for a newspaper.

To me Cap as just dull as bricks, seriously even the current MCU movies can't make him interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I like Captain America. One of my favorite heroes. But this whole man out of time thing got old. I got it in the 60s like in the Tales Of Suspense Issues, or even in his early solo. But man still bitching about it 200 issues in. Man shut up. He is suposed to have this great will power and is a soldier who can think of intense battle plans, has been on the same team as Mutants, Gods, and being made of pure energy. Has fought aliens, and a warlord from the furture, yet he falls to pieces at the idea of flat screen tvs, rap music, and the internet.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

One thing that gets on my nerves as I read some of these comics. How is every scientist a master at judo or other hand to hand fighting forms? In an issue of Fantastic Four Sue says she was taught judo by Reed Richards who is a master. In the golden age of DC Hourman, Star man, both talk about learning fighting skills before they became heroes. When kind of flies in the face of the fact that they were meek and in Star man's case ill all the time. Sandman a rich playboy is well skilled. Hank Pym in his first appearance of Tales To Astonish uses Judo skills to fight off an ant.
    Yet every bad scientist the ones who want to take over the world the ones who need to know how to fight have glass jaws and are knocked out in one punch.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    One thing that gets on my nerves as I read some of these comics. How is every scientist a master at judo or other hand to hand fighting forms? In an issue of Fantastic Four Sue says she was taught judo by Reed Richards who is a master. In the golden age of DC Hourman, Star man, both talk about learning fighting skills before they became heroes. When kind of flies in the face of the fact that they were meek and in Star man's case ill all the time. Sandman a rich playboy is well skilled. Hank Pym in his first appearance of Tales To Astonish uses Judo skills to fight off an ant.
    Yet every bad scientist the ones who want to take over the world the ones who need to know how to fight have glass jaws and are knocked out in one punch.
    If I remember right, you were reading classic comics (cool stuff, BTW). Most of those characters had a lot of Doc Savage in their conceptual DNA. Especially in the early Golden Age, the superhero genre had not yet become a thing of its own. Moreover, they were written as power fantasies for a much younger crowd than today's median comic reader. So that Uber-Renaissance Man schtick is not all that surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    If I remember right, you were reading classic comics (cool stuff, BTW). Most of those characters had a lot of Doc Savage in their conceptual DNA. Especially in the early Golden Age, the superhero genre had not yet become a thing of its own. Moreover, they were written as power fantasies for a much younger crowd than today's median comic reader. So that Uber-Renaissance Man schtick is not all that surprising.
    Yea I kind of forget what age they were written in and what their target audience was.

Oh man, the perfect meaningless thing: notice the way Spider-Man shoots the web in this pic?:

Now look at the way he shoots it in this pic:

See the difference? Spider-Man's web-shooting palm is down in the first pic while in the second his palm is up. Seriously, having that palm face up bugged the hell out of me as a kid. I was SOOOO used to seeing Spider-Man shoot that web with the palm down in the comics that I got triggered watching the first commercials for Spider-Man: TAS. Little details like that got to me. Fortunately though, I outgrew it. I can appreciate both styles of web shooting. Sometimes .
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Speaking of Spider-Man, it bugged me that in the Raimi Spider-Man movies, Spider-Man was able to conveniently shoot the organic webbing out of his HANDS rather than, you know, the other place where spiders shoot their webbing from. And I think the organic webbing was also carried over into the comics at one point.

I didn't like the organic webbing coming out of his hands because why would it biologically and conveniently come out of his hands? Because that took away the cool aspect of Spider-Man coming up with a clever and convenient way of making his artificial webbing come from his man-made web shooters/spinnerets attached to his hands.

Another thing that bothers me (not Spider-Man related) is when so many comic book covers show an entire team of superheroes passed out to show how powerful another character is.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 08-22-2020 at 05:04 AM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Not just comics, but the whole history of the depiction of winged humanoids, from Greek Gods to Angels all the way to comics. Wings evolved from front legs and forearms in animals. There is no reason for a whole new bone and muscle structure to grow out of shoulder blades. I think Kirby did depict some Inhumans with wings instead of arms.

This goes for dragons too. The dragons of Dragonslayer and Reign of Fire got it right.

Last edited by Kirby101; 08-22-2020 at 06:58 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Censoring of swear word. If you know you aren't allowed to have your characters swear don't bother.

Constant talking during fights.