Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Another thing that bothers me (not Spider-Man related) is when so many comic book covers show an entire team of superheroes passed out to show how powerful another character is.
    LOL! A personal favorite would be the one with Fred Hembeck...

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Constant talking during fights.
    LOL! Reminds me of the time when several readers complained about this scene...

How fast is Ripclaw talking while launching himself towards Velocity.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 08-23-2020 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    This is why I like Byrne's Gladiator/Superman approach that high-end super-strongsters are psychokinetic. In my head-canon, they find focusing their PK thru gestures easier than wishing hard. It explains things like Hulk slapping up a hurricane, or stomping up an earthquake, as well as Wonder Woman lifting a 70-ton tank without it ripping her tendons, or driving her into the ground like a tent-peg.

Clearly, there are some characters outside that constraint. Giants, like Atom-Smasher or Atlas, and mechanically enhanced beings like Commander Steel or Iron Man. You can even give an explanation to somebody like Wonder Man, who's made of energy. But Flesh-And-Blooders need another answer.
    I've been writing a superhero novel in my head for a while now (I absolutely lack skill when it comes to putting it on paper so it will never go anywhere). I've been trying to keep the powers somewhat realistic in that I address the real physics limitations of the powers with the caveat that the mere fact of powers is obviously unreal. My workaround for superstrength was to to make the character a telekinetic who has to physically be touching things to affect them and when he does so his power actually envelops the whole object. So when he lifts a car he is lifting all across the car which is why the bumper doesn't rip off even though thats where he's grabbing it. Likewise he isn't crushed under the weight because its actually TK and thus he's not physically holding any of the weight with his body.

Costumes elements that were obviously intended to be black, but because of the blue as highlight technique in comics, the black bits came to be interpreted as mostly blue.

Main culprits, obviously being Batman and Spider-Man.

In this case beast started off gray, then slowly transitioned to all blue, till the next gen just assumed he was blue.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-25-2020 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Costumes elements that were obviously intended to be black, but because of the blue as highlight technique in comics, the black bits came to be interpreted as mostly blue.

Main culprits, obviously being Batman and Spider-Man.

In this case beast started off Gray, then slowly transitioned to all blue, till the next gen just assumed he was blue.
    I've always wished that Spider-Man's costume was red and black instead of red and blue.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Boisterously Confused

The disguise power of the domino mask. It particularly grates when fans who completely buy into Green Lantern or Robin's ability to hide their identity rip into the plausibility of Clark Kent's glasses as a disguise.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The disguise power of the domino mask. It particularly grates when fans who completely buy into Green Lantern or Robin's ability to hide their identity rip into the plausibility of Clark Kent's glasses as a disguise.
    It wouldn't be a problem to reveal almost any superhero that hasn't a full mask on. Look at Batman. One picture of his mask or face and you could discover its Bruce Wayne.

The Prinz Adam and He-Man identity thing bugs me the most....

Okay so reading Golden age comics and some 60's Marvel I am very amazed at the number of Midevil style castles in America, More so in New York City. It seems that just about every bad guy has a castle. I read 18 stories that had these castles. Where the hell do they all come from?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Okay so reading Golden age comics and some 60's Marvel I am very amazed at the number of Midevil style castles in America, More so in New York City. It seems that just about every bad guy has a castle. I read 18 stories that had these castles. Where the hell do they all come from?
    There was a castle store in NY in the 60´s, where you could buy used castles...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

But the thing is these are mostly estates open to the public. Not isolated, secret lairs a villain can hide out in.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    There was a castle store in NY in the 60´s, where you could buy used castles...
    LOL!

There is the Cloisters in Manhattan, which was in fact "buying a used castle" or several, dismantled from Europe, and then re-pieced together stone by stone in Washington Heights Manhattan.
    And that little faux castle you see sitting across from the De la Corte theater in Central Park.

FYI totally round about connection, but that theater was financed and named after G.T. Delacorte, who owned the Dell Comics.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-26-2020 at 07:23 AM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    There is the Cloisters in Manhattan, which was in fact "buying a used castle" or several, dismantled from Europe, and then re-pieced together stone by stone in Washington Heights Manhattan.
    And that little faux castle you see sitting across from the De la Corte theater in Central Park.
    David Xanatos did the dismantling/re-piecing in Gargoyles. That's awesome

I was reading Golden Age Marvel. I have to say I did not really enjoy the issues. I am glad I read them because of the history aspect but as for the stories go I didnt get into them. I did not enjoy Sub Mariner at all. he was a killer that they turned into a hero. What bugs me the most is the character of Betty Dean the female pilice officer in New York. Subby has killed over half a dozen pilice men in the ealry issues, attacked New York killing hundreds of people. Yet whenever the police or Human Torch went after him Betty was like please do not hurt him, please be gentle. What kind of police officer worries over the safety of a cop killer. What kind of human worries of the safety of a man who has killed so many people in the city she lives in?
    And then there was the issue that the Nazis attack Sub mariner and his people. The Emperor is killed and Subs said "Why would they do this we are a peaceful people." Never mind that the Emperor encourged you to attack new York and kill hundreds of people, never mind his own mother told him to kidnap a woman (A woman he terrorized in many issues) to force her to be his bride and bear his children. I mean i get making the Nazi's bad guys but forgetting everything that happened to that point? Come on.

And in the Captain America comics. You had Bucky who was the regiment mascot. Yet he was often allowed to carry a gun and go on vital missions with the army. Despite being under age. And everyone knew him as Bucky. Yet when an underage side kick showed up in costume on base also named Buckyy no one could put it together that it was the saem kid? Come on.
    Last edited by babyblob; 08-28-2020 at 06:10 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Retired

Not something that bugs me anymore, but it used to bug me back in the day, was when you could sometimes see the character's eyes through the mask but then other times it would be white. And this in the same story. If an artist has decided that okay my version of Robin will always have his eyes showing or another artist has decided my version of Green Arrow will always have his eyes whited out--that's fine. But when the same artist would flip between these two options within a single story--it was confusing. And Neal Adams--the great god Neal Adams, who we all respected for his realism--would do this all the time in his Green Lantern/Green Arrow stories. What's the deal, Neal?

I think the only character that consistently got the whited out eyes from all artists was Batman. But there are probably examples with even him where an artist decided to fill in the whites of his eyes for dramatic effect.

You would think I hate comics the way I have gone on in this thread but I promise I love them.

One thing that I never understood is why criminals vreat high tech weapons and suits just so they can rob a bank. Like ok The Shocker. How much money did it take him to come up with his weapon and the suit that protects him from that weapon. or The Eel who had a special helicopter that had a hydraulic ram smoke screen jet boosters and a special built helipad that retracts. how much did they spend on this just so they could rob banks and get money, Why not keep the money these things cost and live a really good life. Paste Pot Pete (Greatest name in comics BTW) creates a glue that can weld the doors of a police car shut and stop a missle at full thrust in mid air. Sell that crap. Dont you think the army would pay hand over first for something like that? Yet he robs banks. The motivation seems very weak in these cases.
    Last edited by babyblob; 08-28-2020 at 08:33 AM.

Boisterously Confused

You would think I hate comics the way I have gone on in this thread but I promise I love them.

One thing that I never understood is why criminals vreat high tech weapons and suits just so they can rob a bank. Like ok The Shocker. How much money did it take him to come up with his weapon and the suit that protects him from that weapon. or The Eel who had a special helicopter that had a hydraulic ram smoke screen jet boosters and a special built helipad that retracts. how much did they spend on this just so they could rob banks and get money, Why not keep the money these things cost and live a really good life. Paste Pot Pete (Greatest name in comics BTW) creates a glue that can weld the doors of a police car shut and stop a missle at full thrust in mid air. Sell that crap. Dont you think the army would pay hand over first for something like that? Yet he robs banks. The motivation seems very weak in these cases.
    That one doesn't bug me all that much. Most of those guys were eaten alive by an "I'll show you ALL" mania.

As for Bucky, yeah that was Robin logic. At the same time, while not as blatantly acknowledged as in the comics, there were A Lot of underaged soldiers in the US Services once. Recruiters tended to ask minimal questions if it wasn't too obvious, even before the war. Simon & Kirby may not have known about it, but they hit upon a truth.