Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Retired

Simon & Kirby (together and separately) put a lot of kids in a lot of danger. That should be the thing they're best known for. And yet they're not.

In the early issues of Tales to Astonish when Giant Man was hanging out with his fan club. he has his mask off and Jan calls him Hank several times. There is also a scene in another issue where Hank destroys his house when he first turns to Giant Man and yet no one knows that Giant Mna and Hank are the same.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Simon & Kirby (together and separately) put a lot of kids in a lot of danger. That should be the thing they're best known for. And yet they're not.
    Simon and Kirby's Boy Commandos justified the use of child soldiers fighting the Nazis. I am surprised the Boy Commandos didn't get PTSD from killing human beings or being wounded by real bullets tearing your flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I like Captain America. One of my favorite heroes. But this whole man out of time thing got old. I got it in the 60s like in the Tales Of Suspense Issues, or even in his early solo. But man still bitching about it 200 issues in. Man shut up. He is suposed to have this great will power and is a soldier who can think of intense battle plans, has been on the same team as Mutants, Gods, and being made of pure energy. Has fought aliens, and a warlord from the furture, yet he falls to pieces at the idea of flat screen tvs, rap music, and the internet.
    I thought Captain America would have adapted to the 21st century society, attitudes and technology. Will Cap eat raw fish sushi and gluten-free vegan wraps? Will he get used to reading news about 12th graders shooting and killing people with guns? Will he be surprised to learn that it takes 20 years to execute a convicted serial murderer? Abortion, illegal immigration and civil injustice were not a big deal in the 1940's.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Simon and Kirby's Boy Commandos justified the use of child soldiers fighting the Nazis. I am surprised the Boy Commandos didn't get PTSD from killing human beings or being wounded by real bullets tearing your flesh.
    No Superhero or villain suffers from PTSD, despite of their fights.

All-New Member

First of all, HI everyone this is my first post on the forum.

Personally I can't stand when alien characters are depicted just as humans with different skin colors or antennas. It bothers me when people can interbreed with totally different alien races without any scientific explanation, and when aliens can magically speak and understand English. One portray of alien creatures I really liked was the one in the latter Prophet's Image series, with actual alien bodies, societies, ways of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    No Superhero or villain suffers from PTSD, despite of their fights.
    Tony Stark had it in Iron Man 3.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Dav85 View Post
    First of all, HI everyone this is my first post on the forum...It bothers me when people can interbreed with totally different alien races without any scientific explanation, and when aliens can magically speak and understand English...
    Welcome Dav85! Yeah, the language thing always bugged me a bit too. The interbreeding thing, however, goes back at least as far as Rice Burrough's first John Carter novel, A Princess of Mars. Still weird, but not a comics invention.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    ...Abortion, illegal immigration and civil injustice were not a big deal in the 1940's.
    Abortion, illegal immigration and civil injustice were socially unacknowledged big deals in the 1940's.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 09-09-2020 at 06:50 AM.

Immigration has always been an issue in this country. Superman addressed it in the 40s.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Someone lifts a car by the bumper or a building by the corner. What would really happen is the bumper would rip off and the building would just crumble around the super strong person's hands. Grab the car by the axle and and then you can lift the car.
    Yeah, every time I see that I cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Another thing that bothers me is when so many comic book covers show an entire team of superheroes passed out to show how powerful another character is.
    Yeah, I hate that too.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post

How fast is Ripclaw talking while launching himself towards Velocity. [/center]
    YES! THIS!! Every time I go back and read stuff from back in the day I'm more amazed by how fast folks can spit words than I am the action on the page. Everyone was a rapper in the 90s I guess.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-18-2021 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Blue text became too cumbersome.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The interbreeding thing, however, goes back at least as far as Rice Burrough's first John Carter novel, A Princess of Mars.
    Since, Barsoomians are all born (externally) from eggs, Edgar Rice Burroughs must have thought about this, I suppose. But maybe he didn't want to get into the details and left it to the reader to surmise how John fertilized Dejah's eggs to produce Carthoris and Tara. But then, how Carter got to Mars was unconventional. Maybe he's not your usual human being--he is seemingly immortal, never ageing. Someone doubtless has written their Ph.D. thesis on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Jim Rhodes aka War Machine had PTSD after being almost killed by Thanos

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Bad week for Mr. Stark. *eyeroll* And when PTSD is mentioned, there tends to be a miraculous recovery. Mental illness, in general, is poorly handled in most fiction. Don't get me started on overplayed Dissociative Identities...

Anyway... the way most artists (even the greats) depict children irritates me. They're too often drawn way too small to contrast with the adults around them.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Spectacular Member Kuro no Shinigami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Bad week for Mr. Stark. *eyeroll* And when PTSD is mentioned, there tends to be a miraculous recovery. Mental illness, in general, is poorly handled in most fiction. Don't get me started on overplayed Dissociative Identities...

I think Superman got PTSD from killing General Zod and his two minions who destroyed Earth and wiped the human race in a pocket universe. John Byrne wrote the story. It caused a nervous breakdown that led him to have a multiple personality disorder and create the gangbuster persona.

I don't think any of us have ever killed a man. When you have killed a man for the first time even in self-defense, how do you feel? guilt? fear?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro no Shinigami View Post
    I think Superman got PTSD from killing General Zod and his two minions who destroyed Earth and wiped the human race in a pocket universe. John Byrne wrote the story. It caused a nervous breakdown that led him to have a multiple personality disorder and create the gangbuster persona.

I don't think any of us have ever killed a man. When you have killed a man for the first time even in self-defense, how do you feel? guilt? fear?
    It depends on what kind of human being you are. Some may even feel satisfaction, or nothing at all. It says, the first kill is hard, after that it gets easier up to the point where you don't care anymore.