Extraordinary Member

Default The Awesomely Ridiculous/Ridiculously Awesome Batman Action Figure Thread

Remember all those weird Batman action figures from the 90’s? When the BTAS as movie toys sought to drown young kids in the most weird/cool/wth costume designs for Batman?

I thought it might be fun to post some pictures of them and have some fun talking about them.

No rules. No expectations. Just find a weird or awesome Batman action figure, and have a ball.

I’ll start us off.

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present to you the most ostentatiously costumed and ‘roided up Batman toy I ever owned - Knight Force Ninjas “Fist Fury Batman.”
    6754172A-2800-4142-8AF6-5D8AD66CC95A.jpg
    0DA59814-37DE-4E92-AFAF-8DEE5F0BD12E.jpg
    This feels like a Batman who is both obsessed with rave parties yet also is overcompensating for losing to Bane once...
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I Google Image searched “nineties Batman action figures” and got this...:

Holy cow you have got a LOT to work w. here!

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post

Holy cow you have got a LOT to work w. here!
    I still have Knightquest Batman and Future Batman from when I was younger. My kids play with them from time to time.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/bWv1gQn/F8-EC3-D60-6114-4-D7-B-AEFF-5870-AA7-CCCB7.jpg[/img

Holy cow you have got a LOT to work w. here! : eek:
    That is the definitive Ridiculous Batman Action Figure line.
    Although Legends of the Dark Knight and Animated Series figures had several contenders
    And both might have been out done by what followed
    the day-glow NINJA line. Cause nothing says stealthy Night and Ninja like the addition of outfits, accessories, and weapons in DAY-GLOW!

Several posted here keep scrolling - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4877683

Although I marvel at the absolute Wonderful Ridiculous/Awesome that is the setting and time displaced Legends of Batman line:

Egyptian
    Midievel Knight
    Gladiator
    Pirate
    Samurai
    Viking
    Longbow
    and the ultimate Dark Rider wanabe Zorro with Sword, Whip and Battle Stallion ....Batman!

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    While those ^ off-color and over-done tech. gimmicks didn't work for me at all.
    Almost as outrageous was The completley anachronistic period-themed Batman variations of the Legends Line
    Which somehow made perfect sense and did work for me.

I'll proudly fessup to being a Legends of Batman mark, and getting this one after the fact: they had several wonderfully outrageous themed figures :

Egyptian
    Midievel Knight
    Gladiator
    Pirate
    Samurai
    Viking
    Longbow etc ....

"-battling crime throughout time!-"

And my favorite Dark Rider Batman with whip and sword!
    Batman wants to be Zorro so bad here, it's embarrassing!

Also can't help but think this line (minus Bat-Caveman) influenced Morrison's Batman Lost through time (the Return of Bruce Wayne) story arc, about a decade later.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-17-2020 at 06:39 AM.

I was reading your post, Güicho, and thought to myself, “i would kill for a Bat-Caveman action figure”. On a lark I Googled it and...

...i am so going to order one tonight!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I never own this because I only buy the vanilla, main continuity or tv/ movie canon version, but that Dark Rider and Caveman Batman are sexy

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicainery View Post
    I still have Knightquest Batman and Future Batman from when I was younger. My kids play with them from time to time.
    I remember buying Future Batman and being an embarrassed I'm too old (teen) for this but it sure looks nice guy.

Nowadays I see the problem with that... why Longbow Batman and not Green Arrow? Why Viking Batman and not Hawkman?

I was reading your post, Güicho, and thought to myself, “i would kill for a Bat-Caveman action figure”. On a lark I Googled it and...

...i am so going to order one tonight! : D
    Yeah Morrison's whole "Return of Bruce Wayen" arc seems like he wanted to have his Batman play through an expansion of the Legends of Batman toy line, then found the approximate narrative way to pull it off, and with his own figures too! LOL!
    That he took the "Legend" all the way back to Bat-Caveman is just Bonkers- Brilliant!

Last edited by Güicho; 08-17-2020 at 07:39 AM.

8-Ideal-Captain-Action-Batman-768x1051.jpg

You young people are spoiled. When I was a kid, you basically had one possible Batman figure (at least until Mego came along).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    8-Ideal-Captain-Action-Batman-768x1051.jpg

You young people are spoiled. When I was a kid, you basically had one possible Batman figure (at least until Mego came along).
    Yeah but besides one main figure in the line, how many Batmen do you need? All those other Batmen variants are mostly superfluous nonsense.
    When you could have one good figure with some decent accessories, which that Captain Action figure seems to at least had some; Removable mask, Removable Utility-Belt, loaded with hooks for; Baterang, grappling hook, line and reel, laser torch, flashlight....?
    Mego came with nothing, as did several later versions, and then the outrageous gimmicks started.

And at least your figure could then also become Superman, the Phantom, Green Hornet, Lone Ranger, Zorro, Spider-Man, Captain America, etc...!

Hey, I have a question about Captain Action here - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post5102122
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-24-2020 at 11:59 AM.