Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Default Dawn of X- how is it to you so far?

Dawn of X is now busy for quite some time.

How do you feel about the current status of the X-books?

I must admit I love the Krakoa idea, that all mutants live on a nation of their own (I always loved the Utopia era as well), the downside is that most of the big villains, like Apocalypse, Sinister, Selene, Exodus, Mystique and so on, are no longer a threat.

Loving that they brought back the Children of the Vault, though that story seems to lay still now (sadkly) do not really like a lot of the new villains. Not caring much about most of the new villains. The Russions and Xeno seem barely a serious threat to me and are barely developed.

The fact that old time mutants are back in action, like Empath, Cece Reyes, Sage and Rictor, I really really love.

I do not like the open sex relation ships between Logan-Jean-Scott and Emma,not at all and it seems so out of character. Speaking of which, many X-Men seem to be written out of character. No one seems to doubt the current status and it seems like some are just not themselves.

I love that some deceades heroes and villains, like Synch, original Hellions, Tempo and so on are brought back and adore that there is finally a way for depowered mutants to get their powers back, even loving the fact to how to do that I love. But,... the death means nothing anymore status, I do not like. Killing of at least one character per issue (X-Force) is not appealing at all.

Like the idea of the X of Swords crossover. Looking forward to it and I am still hoping for the X-Corps series of course.
    Last edited by Master of Sound; 08-17-2020 at 01:52 AM.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Personally I'm loving all aspects of it. It feels so fresh and different to me. Not just in regards to X-Men, but in regards to superhero comics in general. The idea of mutants being one team (both villains and heroes) is fascinating to me and I can't wait for further exploration. Although I agree that some new villains should be explored more I think that will come with time. However Orchid and hordeculture are already quite good additions imo. Both the polyamory of Jean/logan/Scott and the resurrection protocols really have fixed two boring tropes for myself. For years we had love triangles and deaths being too central to X-Men soap opera mythos. The deletion of death as a permanence has been more interesting to me (and in X-Force I love Quentin Quite getting killed in each mission lol). I think the X-Men believing in krakoa can be explained by the 6 month time gap unless there is something to explain it in hickman's plan.

Overall digging it and super excited to see where it goes Next!

I love it, this is what I always hoped Genosha would be! I wanted the mutants to be based out of there and moving toward international relations for mutants! I love the aspects of governance, freedom, and mutant independence that permeat the line now! They have enemies, but they also have a homeland and we get more moments of happiness on Krakoa then we have at the mansion in years! I wouldn't mind a few baseball games, but you know what I am happy that the Tiki Bar shows up in all the books at some point! It's the new social gathering place for all the mutants!

I always wanted the Hellfire Club lore to be explored more, and now we have a book where the Hellfire Club is a core part of the X-Men's new nation by providing shipping to and from the island and all of their manufacturing facilities!

I love the fresh start for so many relationships like Kate, Emma, and Storm! Bobby and Christian, Betsy and Brian, Jean, Scott, Logan! I love that Illyana is a damn War Captain and she is a badass! I love that Rachel and Lorna are finally regulars on books again!

It feels like the X-Men are exciting again and some of the books are a lot of fun! I love that Apocalypse has become the Blue Dad of the X-men, it's completely silly and I know it won't last, I just think it's funny!
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

I love the premise of it all so far. Can't wait for X of Swords, and see where it goes from there.

Totally enjoying all the books I'm reading, and maybe add a couple more titles to my list.

I love the idea and overall concept TREMENDOUSLY, but the books themselves aren’t delivering the quality I expected from HoXPoX.

NM, Excal, X-Force, Giant Sized X-Men, and even Marauders lack epic energy. I think they can all take it up a notch—NM could be funnier, Excalibur quirkier, X-Force more exhilirating, GSXM more intimate, Marauders more inspiring.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

It's something new, but given my own personal taste, there's nothing for me to really get into thus far. I just keep up by lurking the threads.

Incredible Member

I'm lovin' it overall, but Excalibur, New Mutants and X-Force need improvement.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Loving the idea in general, the setup, and the renewed focus on the X-Men from Marvel. Not every book is solid gold and the line is quickly becoming overbloated: I think a tighter focus and a limited number of writers would result in a stronger overall line-up.

Loving the overall concept of it and the revamping of the X-Men but in all honesty, I’m getting a bit bored. There’s a bit too many comics and most of them aren’t that good anymore or are just useless. I understand the main X-Men line is meant to set things up but it’s been months now and there’s way too many unresolved plot issues. I wish the pace was picked up a little bit.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

hickman did the impossible and that was revive a franchise that has become very stale and repetitive. I love dawn of x and hope we keep getting good stories moving forward.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

I loved HoX PoX and really like where the X-Men are right now, but haven't been crazy about the actual books themselves. I liked NM for a while as well as Marauders but dropped them. Excalibur has been disappointing. I have liked Hellions so far, though
    Make Good Art

Mixed bag for me. Not the worst, not the best, and a hope that the quality will improve overall.
    Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

I love the use of former , lesser used characters. This is what Utopia should have remained as but Krakoa is cooler. Hopefully it will remain permanent because the constant mutant home exploding is beyond tired.

I don't love Hickman's created characters nor the future stories. I did not read Powers of X for that reason.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Dawn of X came off a very strong and interesting premise set up from HOX/POX. I think the books mostly started out strong but have mostly settled now and are actually fairly uninteresting. Even though it's different and not the status quo, that doesn't automatically make it interesting.

The resurrection process, I felt, was a premise set up to fail eventually, and even though it hasn't yet, the entire line can't keep clear how important a death is. For me, taking permanent death out of the equation takes a lot of the suspense off the table. The mystery of Kate's death and her inability to be resurrected injected some suspense into Marauders, but it was solved too quickly IMO. Hellions is interesting but it's also new. X-Force started out so strong but with its reliance on death, to the point of making it a joke in some cases, it's losing some of its necessary grittiness. New Mutants was the weakest of the books to me, and nothing has changed that. X-Men is a mixed bag, but I feel that the (mostly) issue to issue plots work against it. World building is fine but there's not enough plot cohesion and nothing seems that important since it's passed on again by the next issue. Excalibur has a great line up, but it's just very middle of the road to me.

I love the idea of a mutant nation, the gateways, the whole secret with Moria and the Quiet Council, but I don't love the fact that so many villains came over and as stated before the resurrection process being overused.

As a whole I would say this is just average. Not bad by any means (maybe new Mutants is though), but not great either, even if it's a complete 180 from the status quo of 55 years. I will hang in there at least through Sword of X.

I love it. I love the fact that the Mutants have come together. Even if some have their own agendas. I think they realize their own species must survive. The killing of some mutants then reviving is a bit much. I like that Hickman has made the X-men prominent once again. also the villains they have shown in future books Horde culture, Phalanx, Mystique etc will be impactful as well.