Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Lovecraft Country on HBO

I thought the first episode was good. Well done introduction to the characters with a great portrayal of real life and fantasy horrors. It kept my interest and then those last ten minutes...Wow!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I thought the first episode was good. Well done introduction to the characters with a great portrayal of real life and fantasy horrors. It kept my interest and then those last ten minutes...Wow!
    Agreed. I enjoyed the book as well and might have to reread it, but will probably wait a bit to avoid any plot spoilers that i've forgotten. Great start to the show, for sure.

I didn't recognize Jurnee Smollett from BOP until i looked at the cast credits. Same with Courney B Vance, sigh. Think i'm getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    Agreed. I enjoyed the book as well and might have to reread it, but will probably wait a bit to avoid any plot spoilers that i've forgotten. Great start to the show, for sure.

I didn't recognize Jurnee Smollett from BOP until i looked at the cast credits. Same with Courney B Vance, sigh. Think i'm getting old.
    That's where I know her from! Thanks.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Great pilot, hope the show keeps the quality on this level. I've been thinking of start reading the book, but maybe I will wait.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Great pilot, hope the show keeps the quality on this level. I've been thinking of start reading the book, but maybe I will wait.
    I was surprised how good it was...i hope it doesn't devolve into a campy mess but so far so good.

Definitely a great start and I echo the hope that it maintains the same quality.

One thing I noticed was that the racist cops were more scary than the actual monsters for me. I think it was the feeling of helplessness that would come with being black in the Jim Crow era. As a black man, knowing they were able to do pretty much anything, at any time and there'd be nothing I could do about it is frightening. That was a nice touch, if intentional. Or maybe I'm projecting lol

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Definitely a great start and I echo the hope that it maintains the same quality.

One thing I noticed was that the racist cops were more scary than the actual monsters for me. I think it was the feeling of helplessness that would come with being black in the Jim Crow era. As a black man, knowing they were able to do pretty much anything, at any time and there'd be nothing I could do about it is frightening. That was a nice touch, if intentional. Or maybe I'm projecting lol
    NO that definitely was more scary for me than the actual monsters..i thought was expertly done. The Travel Guide of Negro Hotels and Guest Houses system was real though...that there was a whole mapping system developed to travel with minimum risk to your life as a black American while traveling.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Didn't realize this was out already.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-17-2020 at 04:39 PM.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post

Same.

I've often felt that that Sundown towns sound horrific and like something from a horror movie. Some crazy person crazy person in a mask stabbing dumb teenagers in a slasher film doesn't scare me. A town full of homicidal racists that would brutally murder you if you had the misfortune of being there after sunset truly is scary and the fact that they are real makes it even more insane.

Quote Originally Posted by obatalla View Post
    NO that definitely was more scary for me than the actual monsters..i thought was expertly done. The Travel Guide of Negro Hotels and Guest Houses system was real though...that there was a whole mapping system developed to travel with minimum risk to your life as a black American while traveling.
    Yes, too bad we never got that from the very movie that was supposed to be about it, Green Book! I'm also hoping that this will develop larger following. Anything that doesn't frame black people in contemporary crime or period slave crap, America as a whole never seem to know how to respond to.

I was surprised this particular part of the story ended after 2 episodes. It gets points for moving the plot along.

I was surprised this particular part of the story ended after 2 episodes. It gets points for moving the plot along.
    The book was the same way. It's more of a collection of interconnected short stories (This weekend's episode was my favorite story) that they seem to be following pretty closely

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    The book was the same way. It's more of a collection of interconnected short stories (This weekend's episode was my favorite story) that they seem to be following pretty closely
    I think that's a great idea. Getting worn out by plots that drag on and on.

I think that's a great idea. Getting worn out by plots that drag on and on.
    I was kind of hoping to see at least a few more episodes of that setting. I was intrigued by a lot of the characters.......Oh, well. Here's to hoping future episodes are equally as interesting.

Really enjoyed ep 3 with its mixture of the reality of 'pioneering' in the 50s (along with medical experiments on black people) and haunted house tropes. I didn't enjoy ep 2 as much - felt rushed with plot developments coming a bit too fast and furious with not much time for viewers to absorb them. But it was still good.

Been re-reading the portions of the book that correspond with the show after I've watched each episode. So far it is mostly faithful, and i would say most of the changes are for the better. For example, Christine is a guy, Caleb, in the book. and in the book Caleb's main motivation is just 'the old generation sucks', whereas Christine is the victim of sexism and thus has a more compelling reason to take down her Dad.

I'd say Jurnee Smollett is the mvp of the series so far. Maybe if her star rises enough she'll get another crack at that Black Canary role. Definitely feels like she could headline a super-hero movie, assuming hollywood can get back to making them at some point.