Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Amazons

Default The Amazons

One thing that some writers have a problem with is I feel they never flesh out the Amazons culture. We see Marston flesh out them, Perez and many others. What would you guess want? I want them to be advance. I mean if they have to worry about Ares or the Doom gate that should be the reason why they have made advance tech. We never get a grasp of how strong they are

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    One thing that some writers have a problem with is I feel they never flesh out the Amazons culture. We see Marston flesh out them, Perez and many others. What would you guess want? I want them to be advance. I mean if they have to worry about Ares or the Doom gate that should be the reason why they have made advance tech. We never get a grasp of how strong they are
    I like advanced technology--some weapons, devices and buildings but mixed with some primativeness in perhaps clothing, having caves, carrying water in large urns, etc.

I think we need to see that Amazons are indeed very strong, fast, nimble and many are great warriors. They are skilled with bows and arrows, throwing things like spears, rocks, etc but also have some advanced weaponry, if only a few, for that special-special threat!

I would have gone with superior magic.

To use Wonder woman movie and DnD reference.
    Nazis invade Paradise Island and start shooting. Some shields spells immediately happen. But they have limits so eventually those shield spells collapse. Smart spears or arrows which hit the heart of their target.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Why should "advanced" be just about some highly visible pieces of high technology, especially weapons or transportation? Why all this focus on weapons, and on the Amazons as warriors?

I want them to be advanced in civilisation. In social sciences, biology, medicine, psychology, organisation. I get that that's trickier than showing off some whizband antigrav air scooters or futuristic rayguns, but the Amazons as envisioned by Marston and Pérez were intended as leaders and teachers of humanity.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I guess how Jimenez envisioned it near the end of his run is how I'd like Themyscira's default look to be.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Why should "advanced" be just about some highly visible pieces of high technology, especially weapons or transportation? Why all this focus on weapons, and on the Amazons as warriors?

I want them to be advanced in civilisation. In social sciences, biology, medicine, psychology, organisation. I get that that's trickier than showing off some whizband antigrav air scooters or futuristic rayguns, but the Amazons as envisioned by Marston and Pérez were intended as leaders and teachers of humanity.
    Yeah, how the Amazons themselves are portrayed as individuals to me is more important then they're technology.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Question, how are they supposed to teach anything to anyone if they're isolated for thousands of years?
    I guess that mirror need to be on the island for a start
    However the presence of that mirror also means Amazons shouldn't have that man prejudice that they often showcase. At least the people who has access to the mirror, Hypolitta and the teachers, shouldn't. The students and the average Amazons can be whatever since they're taught second-hand.

Using Azz's of some Amazons leaving the Island. I was thinking that maybe some Amazons left the Island to see if Man's world was ready for the Amazons. That yes they have the mirror but some wanted to see and feel the real thing.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

So no Rebirth Ares prison barrier

Extraordinary Member

- Advanced technology, with a focus on medical and other compassionate technologies. Their first priority is helping one another, not fighting each other.

- The Amazons don't have an army or a warrior tradition, but they do have a prominent culture of martial arts, both for spiritual purposes and for sport.

- The Amazonians superhuman abilities can be taught, and a normal human woman could become like an amazon if they trained on the island.

- Amazons are longer lived than regular humans, but they are not immortal, and no one on the island was alive when they originally came to paradise island. Newborn Amazons are sculpted from clay and brought to life.

- Amazons are very ethnically diverse, due to centuries of bringing outside women to live on the island and join them.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Question, how are they supposed to teach anything to anyone if they're isolated for thousands of years?
    They can't, which really should be something they regret in their isolation. And also why Diana leaving the island should be cause for both sorrow (in case access to Themyscira is blocked) and celebration (they are returning to their old purpose).
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

That detail means that Ares is a non-player - among his fellow gods, in the world, and with respect to Wonder Woman - for roughly 3000 years, including up to the point where the Wonder Woman story where he breaks free takes place (so he can't battle her earlier in her career, influence or empower her other enemies from behind the scenes, etc.). This sidelines a character who shouldn't be sidelined, so I don't think ti's a great idea.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Amazing Member

Personally I liked the division into the Themiscyran amazons, using magic and bronze age weapons, and the Bana-Mighdall amazons, using advanced technology. (but get rid of the harem-type costumes they were wearing in the Perez and Jimenez runs. If they have assault rifles, I expect them to dress sensibly.)

I have some difficulties imagining a single society that has advanced tech and still carries water in large urns, as another reader proposed. However, there remains the question how two societies with such a different setup can co-exist on that single island...

Yeah, there is a reason why I consider the Amazons one of the most complex and tricky world-building projects you can take on. There are a lot of moving parts and often conflicting requirements, and then you run right into homophobic and misogynistic biases and prejudices, both overt and internalised.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    why should "advanced" be just about some highly visible pieces of high technology, especially weapons or transportation? Why all this focus on weapons, and on the amazons as warriors?

I want them to be advanced in civilisation. In social sciences, biology, medicine, psychology, organisation. I get that that's trickier than showing off some whizband antigrav air scooters or futuristic rayguns, but the amazons as envisioned by marston and pérez were intended as leaders and teachers of humanity.
    That part.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

I like it as a theoretical end goal of for him, a mad war god embracing a version of "loving submission", but I think he should be an active threat in WW's career for a few years before reaching that point.