Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Default Who is Superman's Kobe Bryant?

In the NBA arguably the greatest player to ever play the game -- Michael "Air" Jordan -- has often been gifted with the sobriquet of "Superman." To this day many who watched Jordan on the court speak in awe and deeply abiding reverence of his game. Superman indeed. As great as his star shined, however, Jordan's greatness is only assailable by his understudy, Kobe Bryant, The Black Mamba. For many of the younger players, Kobe was their Michael Jordan, and as far as their concerned, their G.O.A.T. (Greatest of All Time). As I sit here with mocha frappuccino in hand one week away from Kobe Day 8/24, I begin to wonder who is the one DC character that inspired a generation the way that Superman did. Not just because of his character, but his unparalleled skillset, power and prowess. Who would the new generation of heroes proclaim to be their generation's Superman? Does Superman have a Kobe?
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

As someone who avidly loves NBA basketball and DC superheroes, I both love and hate this question.

I love it because it's like a weird intersection of hobbies of mine.

I hate it because it's the wrong question for a couple of reasons.

1. In terms of greatness and popularity, Superman is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (the previous GOAT), Batman (the current GOAT) is Michael Jordan, and (to use your setup) Harley Quinn is Kobe Bryant.

2. Michael Jordan's legacy as the current Basketball GOAT is not threatened by Kobe Bryant at all.

It's far more threatened by LeBron James, who to use your setup, isn't a DC hero, but is Marvel's Spider-Man.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Captain Marvel/Shazam or the Martian Manhunter

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Fantastic Member

Batman is the literally the only possible answer to this question.

Doctor Light, i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    Doctor Light, i guess.
    I was thinking of Bueno Excellente, but good call, good call. Maybe Deathstroke or Max Lord.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    As someone who avidly loves NBA basketball and DC superheroes, I both love and hate this question.

1. In terms of greatness and popularity, Superman is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (the previous GOAT), Batman (the current GOAT) is Michael Jordan, and (to use your setup) Harley Quinn is Kobe Bryant.

2. Michael Jordan's legacy as the current Basketball GOAT is not threatened by Kobe Bryant at all.

It's far more threatened by LeBron James, who to use your setup, isn't a DC hero, but is Marvel's Spider-Man.
    This is the correct answer.

Extraordinary Member

Haha

I loved Kobe. He was the great player of my youth....

Kareem, Magic, Bird, Wilt, Russell, Lebron, and Shaq are all ahead of Kobe on the the all time list.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Haha

I loved Kobe. He was the great player of my youth....

Kareem, Magic, Bird, Wilt, Russell, Lebron, and Shaq are all ahead of Kobe on the the all time list.
    I think the point of the question is the new generation's greatest. Most of the players you mentioned are pre-Jordan and quite frankly, Wilt's hundred point game should make him the Superman position over Jordan.

But it is a good question which when someone says that, it usually means they don't have an answer. But in terms of fame and being well known, Harley Quinn is probably the character I'd say.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I think the point of the question is the new generation's greatest. Most of the players you mentioned are pre-Jordan and quite frankly, Wilt's hundred point game should make him the Superman position over Jordan.

But it is a good question which when someone says that, it usually means they don't have an answer. But in terms of fame and being well known, Harley Quinn is probably the character I'd say.
    If we look at Pre-Flashpoint then the answer its really simple:

CONNER KENT

During the Johns TT Run Conner became the GOAT of the "younger than JL" generations.

I would even say that during this Run he became Nr. 4 of DC Heroes (behind Superman,Batman and Wonder Woman).

The fights with Gog and Superboy Prime and his role in IC and also Cult of Conner, the statue next to Superman etc. etc. showed that he became the GOAT of the "younger than JL" generations.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

Got it in one. Wrap it up, boys. We're done here.