Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Default X-men Monday 71 - The O5... Were Not That Dynamic of a Team!

Check out this edition of Xmen Monday where the wonderful Chris Hassan interviews Jordan White on the upcoming tribute special to the Giant Size Xmen.

https://aiptcomics.com/2020/08/17/x-...x-men-tribute/
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

I love how he hyped up the 05 last week and then this week he was like “yeah... they were pretty bland.”

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I love how he hyped up the 05 last week and then this week he was like “yeah... they were pretty bland.”
    right lolol that statement really stuck out to me but if we are looking at it from the perspective of sales and interest the xmen were close to being a dead franchise that is until chris claremont unveiled the all new all different gisnt sized team.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Yup. The O5 are painfully boring.

Then stop repeatedly giving them more books.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    They keep getting books bc there is interest for them and they sell. This isnt the 60s. We know how to make the X-men work now. The incarnation from the 60s was not dynamic but what we got in X-Factor most definitely was

I love the 05 but I would agree they aren't as dynamic as the All-new-all-different team. You can't really have the X-men without Storm and Wolverine. The 05 days with Stan and company were fun imo but they weren't the best comics. I did love the Roy Thomas/Neal Adams 05 days and that was a good time, but nothing matches the feel of the ANAD X-men.

Ahh yes, that's where that Logan/Banshee panel is from. I like!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    rIIIIIIIght but I think the main reason this keeps happening above ehstever nostalgic interest there is about them...it's mainly cause its a lazy write

For a team like the ANAD to b in an actual GOOD book the writer had a buncha different personalities, Peccadillos, Dynamics to bounce off of, which is yeah more entertaining but harder to juggle.
    With the 05 you got...
    BEAST: tinkering and/or committing another genocide in the name of science
    ANGEL: Brooding and/or being a Playboy
    ICEMAN: Joking and/or Camping it up
    JEAN: Dead and/or Dying
    CYCLOPS: Anxiety and/or Father Issues
    GrindrStone(D)

They should just retcon storm into the Original x-men

Fantastic Member

The O5 (or any other team) are as dynamic as the story let them be. 60s X-men are bland because of the writing, not the characters and any O5 book after that proves it.

X-Men Gold was basically the ANAD team plus Kitty and it sucked so...
    Last edited by SerCo; 08-17-2020 at 05:33 PM.

Extraordinary Member

One thing that interests me is that even though the All-New/All-Different team was much more successful and popular than the O5, there are a lot more "putting the band back together" comics about the O5 than the original ANAD team. Like ever since X-Factor defeated death itself to reunite the original X-Men, there have been lots of comics whose selling point is that they have the original X-Men team, and lots of references in-story to the fact that these five characters were the first, but I don't think (or maybe I've missed them) that there have been as many attempts to reunite the ANAD team or that being a founding ANAD member is some kind of huge thing for a character.

Of course ANAD killed off one of their founding members immediately and wound up having some confusion about whether Jean was on the team or not. (Len Wein plotted the second issue and had all the other O5 members leave except Scott, but then Claremont took over and immediately brought Jean back.) Plus the O5 just have the distinction of being the first, and teams/characters often snap back to their very first incarnation even if later incarnations were more popular.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Please note that he said the O5 were boring as a team, not boring characters per se, especially compared to the drama the Giant Size crew instantly created... which I think is hard to disagree with.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    Please note that he said the O5 were boring as a team, not boring characters per se, especially compared to the drama the Giant Size crew instantly created... which I think is hard to disagree with.
    I actually disagree with it. If we are talking about drama, then Simonson's X-Factor was full of it. It was basically superhero soap opera, and it was an O5 book.
    Again it not about characters, it's about writing.

Man...if only Cyclops has worn a mask against the inhumans fart cloud.