Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Then stop repeatedly giving them more books.
    That's the industry you nostalgia push until something becomes the new nostalgia push basically Hank Pym and Wasp were core to Avengers until movies wipe that. You are more likely to get movie line up than original line up. We already had that move in the X-world Blue/Gold or animated series line became the default line up. The problem with X-men is that Blue/Gold has the original line up in it and it is easier to slip backwards. But as someone mention Wolverine and Storm are key now so the X-men will rarely slip back to just the O5.

Quote Originally Posted by SerCo View Post
    The O5 (or any other team) are as dynamic as the story let them be. 60s X-men are bland because of the writing, not the characters and any O5 book after that proves it.

X-Men Gold was basically the ANAD team plus Kitty and it sucked so...
    Nah X-men Gold was more Excalibur thing with Storm, Colossus and Old Man Logan than ANAD imo.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-17-2020 at 10:22 PM.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I actually disagree with it. If we are talking about drama, then Simonson's X-Factor was full of it. It was basically superhero soap opera, and it was an O5 book.
    Again it not about characters, it's about writing.
    I agree with you that it's more about the writing than the characters, although I never enjoyed Simonson's X-Factor. But I guess Jordan's point was that the O5, as originally written by Stan Lee, Roy Thomas & Co, were a lot more boring and provided less opportunity for drama than the team that followed them. I think the O5 have quite different backgrounds from one another although that has come to light more in subsequent stories than in the original run - and certainly on the surface, they can't beat an African goddess, a circus freak, a secret agent, an ex-cop, an Apache, etc in terms of background diversity.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    I agree with you that it's more about the writing than the characters, although I never enjoyed Simonson's X-Factor. But I guess Jordan's point was that the O5, as originally written by Stan Lee, Roy Thomas & Co, were a lot more boring and provided less opportunity for drama than the team that followed them. I think the O5 have quite different backgrounds from one another although that has come to light more in subsequent stories than in the original run - and certainly on the surface, they can't beat an African goddess, a circus freak, a secret agent, an ex-cop, an Apache, etc in terms of background diversity.
    Olympic class acrobat, if you don’t mind.

Personally, I’d never des the O5 as dull, but I can see that if you look at the 1960s stories, they were products of their time.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Nah X-men Gold was more Excalibur thing with Storm, Colossus and Old Man Logan than ANAD imo.
    Not really. The Gold team was literally the Xmen team from circa UXM 200 minus Rogue (whom herself even was a guest character)

Can't say I've found any 05 incarnation compelling. I agree writing plays a part, but the personality combinations are not interesting IMHO.

Extraordinary Member

That's the industry you nostalgia push until something becomes the new nostalgia push basically Hank Pym and Wasp were core to Avengers until movies wipe that. You are more likely to get movie line up than original line up. We already had that move in the X-world Blue/Gold or animated series line became the default line up. The problem with X-men is that Blue/Gold has the original line up in it and it is easier to slip backwards. But as someone mention Wolverine and Storm are key now so the X-men will rarely slip back to just the O5.
    Agreed. I’d also add Rogue to that.

Fantastic Member

But they're what makes it ANAD.... but ok.

O5 don't work.

X-Factor: Am I a joke to you?

By the way, Bendis' All-New X-Men was outselling the main Uncanny title at one point, and those were the fucking time-displaced versions.

Fucking Tyke solo outsold Storm. The solo that was starring one of the most disliked versions of Scott, had writer change, and was plagued with a shoehorned crossover.
    Last edited by SpiderClops; 08-18-2020 at 08:51 PM.

I think the O5 were absolutely incredible - for their time. And I have a fondness for stories that take place before massive power inflation and enormous superhero overcrowding.

But that's just me.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Fucking Tyke solo outsold Storm. The solo that was starring one of the most disliked version of Scott, had writer change, and was plagued with a shoehorned crossover.
    Teen Cyclops book was lovely. Didn't know it outsold Storm.... ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    O5 don't work.

X-Factor: Am I a joke to you?

By the way, Bendis' All-New X-Men was outselling the main Uncanny title at one point, and those were the fucking time-displaced versions.

Fucking Tyke solo outsold Storm. The solo that was starring one of the most disliked version of Scott, had writer change, and was plagued with a shoehorned crossover.
    Uhhh even as a Cyke fan, I cant see this.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

To be honest, i'm pretty sure that X-Factor is more known for PAD lengthy run, than Simonson's work on it, sucessfull as it was, it most likely doesn't hold a candle to it (but i don't have the sales figures so..).
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

But they're what makes it ANAD.... but ok.

It felt more like they were trying to recapture this in the book than ANAD. I could take it way to seriously try to over analyze and say it didn't feel like ANAD reunion even with Storm,Nightcrawler and Colossus because Wolverine wasn't Wolverine all that back history was associated with the dead younger Wolverine who everyone knew wasn't that one. Either way Gold was clearly experiment in reshashing the past that didn't work and it was most interesting when they had Rogue,Iceman, Magik, Armor and Ink as the team.

It felt more like they were trying to recapture this in the book than ANAD. I could take it way to seriously try to over analyze and say it didn't feel like ANAD reunion even with Storm,Nightcrawler and Colossus because Wolverine wasn't Wolverine all that back history was associated with the dead younger Wolverine who everyone knew wasn't that one. Either way Gold was clearly experiment in reshashing the past that didn't work and it was most interesting when they had Rogue,Iceman, Magik, Armor and Ink as the team.
    That annual was a oneshot and was specifically meant to be an Excalibur reunion. That was not the vibe that X-men Gold as a whole had. That annual only used 3 of the regular cast members and had to bring in 2 guests to make that Excalibur reunion work

Gold was literally this same lineup minus Magneto (and Rogue, whom did appear as a reserve member). Gold by and large served as a failed homage to mid 80s Claremont
    Last edited by Havok83; 08-18-2020 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post

Gold was literally this same lineup minus Magneto (and Rogue, whom did appear as a reserve member). Gold by and large served as a failed homage to mid 80s Claremont
    You know I am not really disagreeing with you right? I mean I felt to me it was more Excalibur like with Kitty out in front as story focus but I know for sure it wasn't trying to recapture ANAD. I see what you are saying and see the fail homage to mid 80s Claremont. Now back to trying wipe X-men Gold from my mind