Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Suicide Squad bites the dust again???

Seriously, does this group have the most volumes since the New 52?? Its not even making it 12 issues before getting ax AGAIN?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I knew TT's run was gonna be short/self-contained. The pacing was incredibly fast and its only following one singular story for more than 6 issues now. Plus all those new characters who were heavily advertised were getting killed way too fast. I know that SS members get killed off but getting killed off every issue especially since they're new was questionable.

Extraordinary Member

Tom Taylor confirmed on Twitter that it wasn't cancelled. The series was apparently always planned as a maxiseries.

Incredible Member

I have read every volume of SS, I feel like every version has just been slapped together and a mess since Ostrander. It feels like violence is all it is about now with Very little character Driven bits. Ostrander was all character driven with action as an aside.

I'm very disappointed with this cancellation. I haven't enjoyed a SS series this much since Ostrander's, although I do agree with bretmaverick2 that the concept has become more about violence and generally less character driven.

Extraordinary Member

Again, guys, Tom Taylor said that the series wasn’t cancelled. It was always supposed to be a limited series.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Tom Taylor confirmed on Twitter that it wasn't cancelled. The series was apparently always planned as a maxiseries.
    That is the spin. Most titles are "secretly limited series" but all that means is that publishers basically ask the team to come up with 11 to 12 issues of story, or 2 trades, and if sales are great they will extend it. If sales suck, then it "was only a limited". No, sorry, if it was always a maxi it would have been advertised as that. Sales sucked. Not the worst, but pretty bad. Could be lots of reasons to blame, but I can believe they want to salvage the story and maybe a fresh start next year will be help.

Again, guys, Tom Taylor said that the series wasn’t cancelled. It was always supposed to be a limited series.
    An 11 issue miniseries? Riiiight. I’m with cranger, the series got cancelled for the same reason Spurrier’s Hellblazer got cancelled despite reviewing well: it sold like crap. Taylor’s SS was already below 20k by issue 3 if I remember the sales right. It’s gone because it’s part of that bottom percentage DC is culling.

Ultimate Member

11 issue mini???? 12 I can believe. Not 11.

If it was that-it would have been announced as one.

This gets greenlighted to kill off a Batman villain in Magpie and waste new folks like Jog?

This is the crap that gets folks mad. This was a waste of time and talent.

If they were looking to do "11" issue mini series- I can name some better choices for Tom Taylor.

Booster Gold, Vixen, Kyle, Blue Devil, Cyborg, Black Lightning (without Batman) or JSA.

They just need to admit this alienation of NONBatman fans has finally got them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    That is the spin. Most titles are "secretly limited series" but all that means is that publishers basically ask the team to come up with 11 to 12 issues of story, or 2 trades, and if sales are great they will extend it. If sales suck, then it "was only a limited". No, sorry, if it was always a maxi it would have been advertised as that. Sales sucked. Not the worst, but pretty bad. Could be lots of reasons to blame, but I can believe they want to salvage the story and maybe a fresh start next year will be help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    An 11 issue miniseries? Riiiight. I’m with cranger, the series got cancelled for the same reason Spurrier’s Hellblazer got cancelled despite reviewing well: it sold like crap. Taylor’s SS was already below 20k by issue 3 if I remember the sales right. It’s gone because it’s part of that bottom percentage DC is culling.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    11 issue mini???? 12 I can believe. Not 11.

If it was that-it would have been announced as one.

This gets greenlighted to kill off a Batman villain in Magpie and waste new folks like Jog?

This is the crap that gets folks mad. This was a waste of time and talent.

If they were looking to do "11" issue mini series- I can name some better choices for Tom Taylor.

Booster Gold, Vixen, Kyle, Blue Devil, Cyborg, Black Lightning (without Batman) or JSA.

They just need to admit this alienation of NONBatman fans has finally got them.
    Here's the thing: I would buy into that if Si Spurrier was also saying "oh yeah, I forgot to say, Constantine was just a miniseries too." But, he's not. Si Spurrier flat out said that Constantine was canceled before he was done with it and that he had plans for future storylines. If Suicide Squad was honestly just canceled, that's what Tom Taylor would also be saying. And I don't think he'd be teasing that we're going to be seeing more with those characters unless there were actually plans in the works for those characters to make an appearance elsewhere

BANNED

Stealth mini series exist.

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    I'm very disappointed with this cancellation. I haven't enjoyed a SS series this much since Ostrander's, although I do agree with bretmaverick2 that the concept has become more about violence and generally less character driven.
    Same. This has been one of the better Suicide Squad runs in a long while. It had a similar “anyone can die at any time” vibe (except Harley and Deadshot of course). Such a nice change of pace from the team of well known villains who you knew would survive every mission. Not really a suicide mission.

Look here's the thing. I've always enjoyed SS because typically its a chaotic series. Its the chaos that is so entertaining with the premise and cast of characters, and Waller attempting to show she has a grasp on the chaos. Its usually a fun book, but its not a household name despite a movie being made, but I think DC needs to understand its not going to move 50K issues a month. There really should be a way this book can find ongoing success and be able to justify its existence.

BANNED

Use only B and C list super heroes. Under Lex Luthors control.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Magpie is a really minor villain in he comics, and Jog and a lot of the other new characters were very likely just created to be killed of, I mean it is Suicide Squad team members are supposed to die.

I would also not be surprised if the book gets relaunched after Death Metal.