Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Here's the thing: I would buy into that if Si Spurrier was also saying "oh yeah, I forgot to say, Constantine was just a miniseries too." But, he's not. Si Spurrier flat out said that Constantine was canceled before he was done with it and that he had plans for future storylines. If Suicide Squad was honestly just canceled, that's what Tom Taylor would also be saying. And I don't think he'd be teasing that we're going to be seeing more with those characters unless there were actually plans in the works for those characters to make an appearance elsewhere
    Plenty of people have used the same spin as Taylor, plenty have been been honest about it. Spurrier is being honest. The writer gets a greenlight for a number of issues, and then it keeps getting extended. Taylor is putting a spin on it. After initial sales, maybe they told him early it would only go to 11, but that was not the plan. And that does not mean there is not a plan to continue with these characters somewhere. If this book was selling 50k+ it would not be getting axed. But whatever the plan is, sales were not there. So cancel the book now, and relaunch it somehow down the line.

Taylor has just spent too much time with Marvel people, the publisher who can't even bother to announce final issues in the solicits, and developed this need to deny poor sales exist.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Plenty of people have used the same spin as Taylor, plenty have been been honest about it. Spurrier is being honest. The writer gets a greenlight for a number of issues, and then it keeps getting extended. Taylor is putting a spin on it. After initial sales, maybe they told him early it would only go to 11, but that was not the plan. And that does not mean there is not a plan to continue with these characters somewhere. If this book was selling 50k+ it would not be getting axed. But whatever the plan is, sales were not there. So cancel the book now, and relaunch it somehow down the line.

Taylor has just spent too much time with Marvel people, the publisher who can't even bother to announce final issues in the solicits, and developed this need to deny poor sales exist.
    Cully Hammer wants a word-if someone did not care for the book-50K or not it would be gone. He should know because he was on a book selling 70K and got axed-Green Lantern Mosaic.

Now there have been cases were books were axed before issue 1-Xombi was one of those due to New 52 starting up.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Cully Hammer wants a word-if someone did not care for the book-50K or not it would be gone. He should know because he was on a book selling 70K and got axed-Green Lantern Mosaic.

Now there have been cases were books were axed before issue 1-Xombi was one of those due to New 52 starting up.
    I stand by that statement: if THIS book was selling 50k+ it would not be getting axed.

Besides, again, take whatever you hear from creatives with a grain of salt. There might be something to it, more likely someone up high was betting against it, but that book did not end early:

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...04Diamond.html

There is GL:M at position 200 for the month with an estimated 32K in sales.

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/1992.html

GL:M #1 does not even make the top 300 of they year for 1992.

This is in the midst of Image (Malibu) eating DCs lunch, so the bar for good sales was clearly not what it might be today.

Suicide Squad is just a Harley Quinn promotional vehicle these days anyway. I don't think the book will be anything more than that for a while as long as Harley is the pillar holding it up. Maybe it is best to retire the title for a while, but I get they can't with a new movie and game on the way.
    Last edited by Badou; 08-19-2020 at 08:36 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    I have read every volume of SS, I feel like every version has just been slapped together and a mess since Ostrander. It feels like violence is all it is about now with Very little character Driven bits. Ostrander was all character driven with action as an aside.
    Exactly right. I don't think modern writers get what made that book so amazing. It didn't have the greatest artwork, but the stories were killer (sometimes literally).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post

Dude, your own hypothetical doesn't even make sense. Why would Taylor say that he planned the series as a miniseries if he originally planned it as an ongoing? What you're doing is working back from a conclusion you've made and inventing a scenario to make your conclusion plausible instead of taking in evidence as it comes to inform your conclusion.

I just don't think Tom Taylor has given us any reason to believe that what he says isn't the honest truth. If it had been axed earlier than it was supposed to be, then he would be saying so just like Si Spurrier because there's really no reason to lie about it. Titles get canceled all the time.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-20-2020 at 03:50 AM.

Incredible Member

I was shocked by the rapid pace of change and the rapid resolution of secrets that would normally play out over a much longer period, but took it as a sign that Taylor is such a creative fount with so many new surprises and twists in store, that he could throw into 3 issues what would usually take 12 to 24. I wondered "If he showed us this much so soon, I can't even imagine the even more amazing twists he must have in store."

And maybe that was the whole point of making it a "stealth mini." The extreme pace would have been understood in a completely different way if we'd known it was a mini/maxi. Thinking it's an ongoing made it seem to have a more impressive pace than you'd expect. So maybe Taylor really threw everything into these issues because that's how long he was getting, and it was a pretty good fakeout.

Extraordinary Member

Dude, your own hypothetical doesn't even make sense. Why would Taylor say that he planned the series as a miniseries if he originally planned it as an ongoing? What you're doing is working back from a conclusion you've made and inventing a scenario to make your conclusion plausible instead of taking in evidence as it comes to inform your conclusion.

I just don't think Tom Taylor has given us any reason to believe that what he says isn't the honest truth. If it had been axed earlier than it was supposed to be, then he would be saying so just like Si Spurrier because there's really no reason to lie about it. Titles get canceled all the time.
    When he says the book is not 'cancelled' all he is saying is that the story is not getting cut short. All he is saying is that he knew calling something Suicide Squad while actually swapping in a whole new team who have another team name may not have gone over well enough, so they had an exit planned from the start.

If the book sold well, then I am sure we would have seen it carry on get to find out just what the plans are he mentions here:
    https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/st...17556063596544

We will probably still get to see some of that, but in some sort of relaunch that might better market the book (with less confusion).

I’d lie if I wrote that I’m going to shed tears because of this title being axed. At most, I’ll be sad for the artists, since Redondo and Sampere were a real treat for the eyes and now who knows what their next work will be. Tom Taylor’s writing, on the other hand, made me a fan of the Suicide Squad title written by Rob Williams, which for of all of its shortcomings at least had the merit of not reshuffling the cards on the table at every issue (or sometimes in the very same issue) for no discernible reason.

We saw Lok’s mysterious boss holding the tightest of leashes on his subordinate in the form of an implant which shocks him every time he loses focus and/or steps out of line – and then we’re told that the integration of the Revolutionaries in the Suicide Squad was a personal project of Lok’s which Ted Kord didn’t like but couldn’t stop him from carrying out.

It’s explained that Osita brought together the Revolutionaries by assembling people like herself: people who saw their lives ruined by the Squad. And then there’s Jog, whose life was ruined by the terrible living conditions in many places across sub-Saharan Africa and the fact that many European countries seemingly cannot formulate humane immigration policies. Oh, and then he was found while he was helping save a rainforest, apparently.

Or let’s talk about the strange odyssey of one Zebra-Man, introduced in the first issue as some poor metahuman schmuck with, possibly, an off-screen career as a supervillain mook whom Lok could use as a personal protection service. But then he was shot in the shoulder, was offered and accepted (all rigorously off-screen) to join the attempt to bring down Ted Kord’s organization by the same people who wanted him out of the way so they could kill Lok and in between issues climbed the pecking order to the point that he almost looks like he’s in charge of the whole operation in the last issue (at least Sampere’s artwork gave that impression). Darth Plagueis the Wise doesn’t hold a candle to this guy in the field of stories they won’t tell you!

And then there’s Wink, introduced as a young woman with clear mental issues (there’s being a clingy girlfriend -- and then there’s Wink) before character development… sorry, character modification hit. First came the Flash Annual, where Wink was characterized as the team’s resident fangirl who has eyes exclusively for her idol, Barry Allen (the kind of situation which could happen exclusively in a Flash book, if you know what I mean). Then she stole the Batmobile and everyone went crazy. I’ll do the same thing when the writer explains this character to me, an event which by now I know will never come to pass.

This makes it the 4th volume of Suicide Squad to end since the new 52 started
    Volume 5 is definitely coming though not with a video game and movie about to drop
    Teen Titans and Titans have been cancelled way more than this though that franchise is a dumpster fire that they keep lighting on fire

Here's the thing: I would buy into that if Si Spurrier was also saying "oh yeah, I forgot to say, Constantine was just a miniseries too." But, he's not. Si Spurrier flat out said that Constantine was canceled before he was done with it and that he had plans for future storylines. If Suicide Squad was honestly just canceled, that's what Tom Taylor would also be saying. And I don't think he'd be teasing that we're going to be seeing more with those characters unless there were actually plans in the works for those characters to make an appearance elsewhere
    While I do believe Taylor when he teases more, just because he doesn’t have the same reaction as Spurrier doesn’t mean that his series wasn’t also cancelled. I’m sure DC wants to put a positive spin on things and some people can do that while others can’t.

Extraordinary Member

I wouldn't be surprised if they ended the Title to relaunch it with a team similar to the upcoming movie, they iirc also did that when the last movie came out.