Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Youd be surprised by some of his 80s stuff. Dr and quinch is madcap (and crap) nonsense, halo jones is him under influence of hernandez brothers and its great, skizz is cute, captain britain is very trippy sci fi.

Halo Jones and Captain Britain are well worth checking (imo) as just great story telling without putting you through the mental mangle.
    Somewhat relevant

Theres currently a humble bundle that included all of Halo Jones. as well as loads of 2000ad goodness.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/j...-ad-more-books

also aren't his captain britian stories kind hard to get hold of cause the marvel UK deal meant that he kept ownership of the scripts.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Oh, I forgot about Marvelman/Miracleman. I also read that, but it was also decidedly not fun, and more of the dour and self-serious bent.

If I can track it down for a reasonable price, I'll check out some of Moore's British stuff. His 90s stuff proves that Moore clearly has a sense of humor. Those comics are very funny and warm-hearted, particularly Supreme and Tom Strong.

Thanks for the recommendations. Would Halo Jones be the best place to start?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Oh, I forgot about Marvelman/Miracleman. I also read that, but it was also decidedly not fun, and more of the dour and self-serious bent.

If I can track it down for a reasonable price, I'll check out some of Moore's British stuff. His 90s stuff proves that Moore clearly has a sense of humor. Those comics are very funny and warm-hearted, particularly Supreme and Tom Strong.

Thanks for the recommendations. Would Halo Jones be the best place to start?
    I liked Halo Jones.

But..if you looking for a good laugh I’d go for Time Twisters and/ or Future Shocks. These are short punchy funny stories about time paradoxes (Time Twisters) or strange things happening in the future (Future Shocks). Think they have been collected...if they are available for a reasonable price, I’d say “get them”.

But we all know how subjective these things are....wouldn’t be astonished if you ended up wondering why the dickens I recommended them.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I liked Halo Jones.

But we all know how subjective these things are....wouldn’t be astonished if you ended up wondering why the dickens I recommended them.
    No worries, even if they aren't my thing, I'm sure I will find something interesting about them. It is Alan Moore after all. The guy can write. Even pretentious grumpy Alan Moore is better than most of the comics out there

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I liked Halo Jones.

But..if you looking for a good laugh I’d go for Time Twisters and/ or Future Shocks. These are short punchy funny stories about time paradoxes (Time Twisters) or strange things happening in the future (Future Shocks). Think they have been collected...if they are available for a reasonable price, I’d say “get them”.

I think they have been collected by hachettes in hardback for £10

Halo Jones is in same hardback series for £10

Captain britain has been collected a few times but i think there is a panini print of his whole run in hardback which again was very cheap.

If you like superheroes then captain Britain is a long but fun psychedelic story with alan Davis on fire- and the origins of the marvel 616 i think for nerds. Interesting too given dcs announced regional initiative to see what a regional initiative looked like in uk in the 80s. A great example of marvel cosmic with a uk twist and nothing at all like his other superhero work. Even if you hate it, Alan Davis art is just great and shows how he became such a big name so quick in usa.

Halo jones - i think this was the first female lead character in 2000ad comics. Alans mind blown by the Hernandez brothers follows their lead with a female sci fi protagonist and a galaxy hoping story of friendship, patriarchal society, and womens lib.

Time twisters / future shocks - just got 5 mins here or there to spend then dip in and out of what i think is the hardest of all genres - the 3 to 5 page done in one twilight zone style story. The toughest proving ground of all.

How available they are in usa is another matter but they are all in cheap hardbacks here. Captain britain will be out of print but its common secondhand.

(Skizz is not bad - a nice heartwarming riff on ET but pretty dumb ending - period piece only. Dr and Quinch def didnt need their own series)

Im sure he did some cool dr who stories too - but im not sure they have been collected - marvel uk heads might know about these.

Obvs you might read them and think jesus Brits are just idiots but as a big dc comics head they might give some more context for uk invasion of DC and the endless squabbles in uk over who influenced who and the Americans who influenced them all in the first place.
    Last edited by iron chimp; 08-21-2020 at 03:02 AM.