Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I've started to notice that a lot of recent complaints about Wonder Woman when it comes to the character's feats (can't fly, not bullet proof, doesn't bench press x amount of weight) is simply that she isn't a derivative of Superman... Rather than celebrate things that make her unique (i.e. swinging from strikes of lightning with her lasso), there are complaints that she isn't basically a female version of Superman...When did we start tying the character's worth into having the same strengths Superman has?
    Portraying WW like a generic super human warrior woman that almost never uses her powers in big ways(like she used to) and is all sword and shield, is that a better way to celebrate the character's worth? Why is such a crazy thing to ask, when fans say we want to see WW being a powerhouse again? Using her actual powers in major ways again. Using her iconic classic gear again. Her powers are also a part of what makes her Wonder Woman. Nobody says she has to be superman. She has to be what she has always been meant to be based on the words of her own creator. Wonder Woman is somebody with God like strength and speed. Not a super human xena. So what is wrong with wanting WW and her verse to be treated more seriously as what they are supposed to be?

She flew in the most recent issue, so...crisis averted?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I've started to notice that a lot of recent complaints about Wonder Woman when it comes to the character's feats (can't fly, not bullet proof, doesn't bench press x amount of weight) is simply that she isn't a derivative of Superman... Rather than celebrate things that make her unique (i.e. swinging from strikes of lightning with her lasso), there are complaints that she isn't basically a female version of Superman...When did we start tying the character's worth into having the same strengths Superman has?
    Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Portraying WW like a generic super human warrior woman that almost never uses her powers in big ways(like she used to) and is all sword and shield, is that a better way to celebrate the character's worth? Why is such a crazy thing to ask, when fans say we want to see WW being a powerhouse again? Using her actual powers in major ways again. Using her iconic classic gear again. Her powers are also a part of what makes her Wonder Woman. Nobody says she has to be superman. She has to be what she has always been meant to be based on the words of her own creator. Wonder Woman is somebody with God like strength and speed. Not a super human xena. So what is wrong with wanting WW and her verse to be treated more seriously as what they are supposed to be?
    I think the sword and shield need to be ditched, or at least not make regular appearances. The lasso, bracelets and tiara should get MUCH more usage.

I think a combo of relying on gliding on air currents (with the addition of riding the lightning) plus the mind controlled invisible plane is my preferred power set for her. Like in the movie, it makes some cool and unique visuals that nobody else in the DCU really has. But I'm fine with full blown flight too.

She definitely should not be flightless and not have anything else though.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    So instead of focusing on the stuff that makes Wonder Woman unique (invisible jet, bracelets, tiara, lasso of truth, Kangas, etc) stuff that no one else but Wonder Woman has, our options are either Superwoman or Xena?

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

So instead of focusing on the stuff that makes Wonder Woman unique (invisible jet, bracelets, tiara, lasso of truth, Kangas, etc) stuff that no one else but Wonder Woman has, our options are either Superwoman or Xena?
    She is xena becuase that's how DC portrays her these days. In reality, Wonder Woman should be Wonder Woman. And that means her iconic gear should be used instead of sword and shield. And her super powers also need to be shown in big ways. Or are we forgetting how crazy strong and fast Wonder Woman used to be? Remember when she helped move the earth? Remember when she even moved planets on her own during her debut run writen by Marston? Remember when she blocked trillion of pieces coming from every corner of the universe? Remember when she outran Mercury?. Let's also not forget what her classic intro was. Stronger than Hercules. Faster than Mercury. Wisee as Athena. That's Wonder Woman. So i don't know why you act like what we ask has nothing to do with her character. The Wonder Woman that i remember used to be a very powerful character. What's wrong with that? That doesn't make her a superman clone.

You know, plenty of characters have a few things in common with Superman but WW seems to be the only character whom people think flight and being strong makes her derivative of Superman as if that is all there is to both characters. It's kind of insulting to both of them.

Diana's had flight for three decades and now we're acting like she's just a Superman clone? Especially when her own creator gave her a secret identity that was basically female Clark Kent?

I never got the people who have the idea that Diana flying or being bulletproof means their is nothing unique about her anymore. I don't even like comparing her to Superman, its just easy because they are in the same universe and in the same power league. If she's close to anyone in the comics its Thor, but I digress.

I want to see Kangas. I want to see the lasso/tiara/bracelets to be used 1000 times more than the sword/shield. I want to see amazons in space again. All these golden age things that made Diana cool can and should still exist, they are not suddenly going to go away if she can fly and be bulletproof.

Superman and WW have very few things in common if you actually bother to look at them. Strength, speed, durability, and flight that's it, you could argue super breath but WW hasn't used that since golden age. Oh I forgot, a slightly similar color pattern. Other than that, completely different characters. Martian Manhunter has literally every superpower Sups does and more, no one complains.

As mystical41 has said golden age Diana was a powerhouse, post-crisis Diana was a powerhouse. Current Diana gets treated as mid-tier on the best days. We have/had writers like GWW and Tamaki that don't really seem to put any "omf" in their stories. Diana doesn't feel powerful anymore is my point. So, no, I'm not trying to make her into a superman clone, I'm trying to bring back how powerful she always was.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I mean if we're talking flight Supes stole that from Billy Batson so it's not like he's the originator in that regard.

Mighty Member

I think the guy who started with this was named William Moulton Marston around the year 1942:

“Not even girls want to be girls so long as our feminine archetype lacks force, strength, and power. Not wanting to be girls, they don't want to be tender, submissive, peace-loving as good women are. Women's strong qualities have become despised because of their weakness. The obvious remedy is to create a feminine character with all the strength of Superman plus all the allure of a good and beautiful woman.”

Why do Wonder Woman fans always need to celebrate the slightest things that are usually nothing more than it could be worse excuses, will Flash fans, Green Lantern fans or Doctor Fate fans also celebrate if these characters get portrayed as weak over and over again if DC or WB just throws particles of a bone in other regards?

And what is with Shazam and Martian Manhunter, also know as magical and alien Superman, are that bad characters because they have far more similarities with Superman than Wonder Woman?
    Last edited by Rightoya; 09-03-2020 at 04:42 AM.