Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    I guess some people truly are scared that they even take away her flight. With how bad DC treats her, i understand why some fans would feel scared. By the way, what do you think about my other question regarding editing for WW? Why is it so bad?, i think there is an obvious lack of interest from DC's part. Since they don't seem to put much effort into her verse, but i'd like to know your opinion.
    I think it's definitely a lack of interest or a plan for her as far as DC is concerned. It's been going on for a while, but as of now she's no longer alone in the "what the hell is going on this week" for canon status.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    So even if you get what you wanted in the second movie which would carry over into a third, you're still not gonna be happy about it?

What could they possibly do to please you besides inventing a time machine and having her fly in the first movie?
    It remains to be seen if she will fly in her 2nd solo movie. And if she does, then why the hell didn't she do that when they could have showcased her next to other heroes, like in the Justice League? So...Cyborg gets to overshadow her with flight?!?

What is the explanation that you can give that Shazam flew almost right away in his movie and Wonder Woman still can't?

Personally I would prefer they reboot her and the DCEU and start off the right way. No Zeus father, a contest, no sword and shield, etc... And a disclaimer from the DCEU themselves that everything that we know of in the current DCEU in which Wonder Woman was in was all a dream like the 'Dallas' television series.

And....what can they do to please me? It is so obvious. Be consistent through all mediums about what she can do with respect to her powerset. If they are going to ground her, tell us and then we have to live with that instead of the ambiguous powers that she does or doesn't have. Pretty easy. If they can be consistent with Supermans powers, then the same should be done with Wonder Woman. It's not rocket science, and I don't believe for a minute that any of the DC or DCEU editorial is even close to being a rocket scientist!

Another thing I forgot to mention was that Wonder Woman doesn't fly either in the DC superhero girls show.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    It remains to be seen if she will fly in her 2nd solo movie. And if she does, then why the hell didn't she do that when they could have showcased her next to other heroes, like in the Justice League? So...Cyborg gets to overshadow her with flight?!?

What is the explanation that you can give that Shazam flew almost right away in his movie and Wonder Woman still can't?

Personally I would prefer they reboot her and the DCEU and start off the right way. No Zeus father, a contest, no sword and shield, etc... And a disclaimer from the DCEU themselves that everything that we know of in the current DCEU in which Wonder Woman was in was all a dream like the 'Dallas' television series.

And....what can they do to please me? It is so obvious. Be consistent through all mediums about what she can do with respect to her powerset. If they are going to ground her, tell us and then we have to live with that instead of the ambiguous powers that she does or doesn't have. Pretty easy. If they can be consistent with Supermans powers, then the same should be done with Wonder Woman. It's not rocket science, and I don't believe for a minute that any of the DC or DCEU editorial is even close to being a rocket scientist!

Another thing I forgot to mention was that Wonder Woman doesn't fly either in the DC superhero girls show.
    Because chucking the DCEU when it has gone over very well with the majority of both fans the most importantly the general audience because they didn't do things that you deem "the right way" just comes across as fandom entitlement. Yeah her solo films are not perfect and there are certainly things I wish they did differently, but it's also the first attempt and I don't think WW fans should be pooping in the only sandbox we have to play in (cinematic wise) right now. Especially as it is overall a good attempt so let's not be ungrateful. And you're getting what you wanted as far as the sword and shield go at least.

And looking at how inconsistent the comics are in terms of reboots and when Diana gets her powers, the self contained film trilogy doing it's own take on the timeline of events isn't strange for an adaptation. You say you want consistency and I think the overall franchise needs it, but it's unhelpfully vague in the case of the movies as adaptation who are drawing from 80 years of material with just the comics, and those include like 5 different versions of Wonder Woman (including by her own creator, who did not give her flight). I mean, they were consistent with Superman's iconic power set in the DCEU, but it's not like it's helped him too much because Gadot's WW has been embraced more heartily. Because she had a good story.

I'm fine whether Wonder Woman flies or not; I actually think she works better when she DOESN'T fly, and for over 40 years, she DIDN'T (technically) fly, so.........

Aren’t there about 10 other threads about this very subject already? And maybe 10 more about how much DC “hates” Wonder Woman..? Is flying the new “Zeus-daddy” topic everyone’s going to discuss in circles for the next few years?

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post

Fat chance at this actually ever happening. Wonder Woman was a wildly successful movie and is pretty much considered the crown jewel of the DCEU so far. It told a great story and captured Diana’s spirit perfectly. Would I have liked her to fly, sure, but that didn’t happen and it didn’t mitigate my love for the film in the slightest.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    Aren’t there about 10 other threads about this very subject already? And maybe 10 more about how much DC “hates” Wonder Woman..? Is flying the new “Zeus-daddy” topic everyone’s going to discuss in circles for the next few years?
    It's not "everyone"; just one particular Lynda-Carter-loving forum member who continually brings up this yawn-inducing topic.
    We all know who it is.
    Their disdain for the film is transparent; I personally know several fans of the TV show that despise the DCEU Wonder Woman for...reasons. I suppose it is because Gal Gadot is not Lynda Carter.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    It's not "everyone"; just one particular Lynda-Carter-loving forum member who continually brings up this yawn-inducing topic.
    We all know who it is.
    Their disdain for the film is transparent; I personally know several fans of the TV show that despise the DCEU Wonder Woman for...reasons. I suppose it is because Gal Gadot is not Lynda Carter.
    Lynda Carter didn't even fly...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Lynda Carter didn't even fly...
    I know.
    But I think the "she cannot fly" argument is simply yet another excuse to hate on the cinematic Wonder Woman we got.
    By the way, another reason for me to be grateful for the WW film we got is that, they finally made Diana a cinematic commodity. We all know that from now on, the powers that be will make WW films, whether they are continuations of the current Gal-Gadot starrers or reboots down the road, WB finally made Diana a commercially viable movie IP.
    Last edited by FutureWonder; 09-02-2020 at 08:00 AM.

I know.
    But I think the "she cannot fly" argument is simply yet another excuse to hate on the cinematic Wonder Woman we got.
    By the way, another reason for me to be grateful for the WW film we got is that, they finally made Diana a cinematic commodity. We all know that from now on, the powers that be will make WW films, whether they are continuations of the current Gal-Gadot starrers or reboots down the road, WB finally made Diana a commercially viable movie IP.
    Amen to all this! Even before the mass marketing for this sequel began, I would suddenly see more Wonder Woman everywhere! That film (and it’s sequel) will bring Diana and her world to newer, bigger and more inclusive generation and I’m here for that. Especially since I’ve loved this character for the majority of my life.

BANNED

Amen to all this! Even before the mass marketing for this sequel began, I would suddenly see more Wonder Woman everywhere! That film (and it’s sequel) will bring Diana and her world to newer, bigger and more inclusive generation and I’m here for that. Especially since I’ve loved this character for the majority of my life.
    I think we hit the lotto in terms of having the very first Wonder Woman live-action film being an actually decent movie that garnered great reviews from critics and connected with audiences at large, which led to a great box office run and a memorable pop culture-zeitgest-capturing moment (and gave us an instantly iconic film scene in the "No Man's Land" sequence). Imagine if the first film for the best known superheroine in the world had been a critical flop and a commercial disaster? Unfortunately, WB would probably have used the same ole same ole traditional "wisdom"-slash-excuse that claimed that audiences were not interested in big splashy superhero films starring women, and hence justified their not making any more solo superheroine films ("If movie audiences are not interested in Wonder Woman, what's the point of making ANY solo film starring any superheroine?").

Thank Hera for Patty Jenkins, Gal Gadot, Chris Pine, Allen Heinberg and everyone involved in the making of the first movie; it was certainly the spark that led to Captain Marvel, Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn, Black Widow, and hopefully, a whole lot more superheroine movies in the future (a Vixen film better be part of that eventually!!!)
    Last edited by FutureWonder; 09-02-2020 at 12:47 PM.

I think we hit the lotto in terms of having the very first Wonder Woman live-action film being an actually decent movie that garnered great reviews from critics and connected with audiences at large, which led to a great box office run and a memorable pop culture-zeitgest-capturing moment (and gave us an instantly iconic film scene in the "No Man's Land" sequence). Imagine if the first film for the best known superheroine in the world had been a critical flop and a commercial disaster? Unfortunately, WB would probably have used the same ole same ole traditional "wisdom"-slash-excuse that claimed that audiences were not interested in big splashy superhero films starring women, and hence justified their not making any more solo superheroine films ("If movie audiences are not interested in Wonder Woman, what's the point of making ANY solo film starring any superheroine?").

Thank Hera for Patty Jenkins, Gal Gadot, Chris Pine, Allen Heinberg and everyone involved in the making of the first movie; it was certainly the spark that led to Captain Marvel, Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn, Black Widow, and hopefully, a whole lot more superheroine movies in the future (a Vixen film better be part of that eventually!!!)
    Exactly.

The first film doesn't really line up with what I would prefer across the board. Neither does the second from what we know. But adaptations toy around with stuff, and the overall effort has been overall well received. We had to wait SO long for a Wonder Woman movie and when it finally arrived, it was very good with perfect casting. And we'll likely get more takes in the future now that the most difficult part is over. So we shouldn't be ungrateful.

At the very least enjoyable the character critiqued as difficult to write had a better outing than Bats, Supes, and SS.

Mighty Member

I've started to notice that a lot of recent complaints about Wonder Woman when it comes to the character's feats (can't fly, not bullet proof, doesn't bench press x amount of weight) is simply that she isn't a derivative of Superman... Rather than celebrate things that make her unique (i.e. swinging from strikes of lightning with her lasso), there are complaints that she isn't basically a female version of Superman...When did we start tying the character's worth into having the same strengths Superman has?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    At the very least enjoyable the character critiqued as difficult to write had a better outing than Bats, Supes, and SS.
    I know, right? Remember how many times we heard the tired-ass "she is too difficult to write/her story cannot be cracked to make it audience-friendly/her origin won't be easy for audiences to *get*/mythical gods are just too hard for audiences to accept" excuses?