Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Loved The Sixth Sense (and got to see it unspoiled, so cool). Liked Unbreakable quite a bit. Thought Signs was .... OK. Then it was like he totally forgot how to tell a story.
    I meant all the ones from Lady in the Water to Split. The earlier ones were good.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

~ Ghostbusters 2016 because of LOLZ!

~ Birds of Prey

~ Disney Star Wars (Except for the Mandalorian)

~ Last Hellboy

Some of these are so bad that I'm turned off to the entire franchise at this point (SW, Star Trek, Terminator, Predator most of DC) Some rubbish is never going to get my attention like Charlies Angels or non Wolverine X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    A lot of people hated that movie but I loved it. I thought it was a unique twist and the film still had enough suspense and scares that I genuinely enjoyed it.

But I realize I'm in the minority.
    Not once while watching the Village did I ever consider that it might not have taken place in the modern day, so I was really confused that it was portrayed as a twist instead of the fact that spoilers:
    the monsters weren't real
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Not once while watching the Village did I ever consider that it might not have taken place in the modern day, so I was really confused that it was portrayed as a twist instead of the fact that spoilers:
    the monsters weren't real
    end of spoilers
    Yeah, same with me and The Sixth Sense. I figured the twist out but didn't realize it was supposed to be a twist. I just assumed everyone knew it. Then friends who saw it after me were freaking out because they didn't realize spoilers:
    that Bruce Willis was dead the whole time
    end of spoilers.

That movie is pretty dull if you aren't surprised by the ending so I understand where you're coming from.

I never liked the M. Night Shyamalan. my friends went nuts over the twists at the end like holy crap how smart is this man? A bad twist at the end of a bad movie does not equal a good movie.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I like that you guys are using spoiler tags on 20 year old movies.

spoilers:
    Darth Vader is Luke’s father.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I never liked the M. Night Shyamalan. my friends went nuts over the twists at the end like holy crap how smart is this man? A bad twist at the end of a bad movie does not equal a good movie.
    Lol, this is true. Its like he sets out to make his movies as dull and boring as possible. I mean, its kind of impressive just how little emotion is there. But generally I think Bruce Willis has done some of his best work with Shyamalan. Loved Unbreakable and I'm still pretty fond of Sixth Sense, mainly because of Willis - and Jackson, of course.

Also

spoilers:
    Rosebud is the sled
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 08-21-2020 at 10:14 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

The thing about The Sixth Sense is the trailers spoiled it.
    spoilers:
    Yeah, Willis being dead was a good twist ending IMO. But the real big reveal was that for the first hour you didn't really know what was happening with Osment. Then he tells his mom he sees dead people. Using that scene in the trailer removes all the suspense leading up to it.
    end of spoilers
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The thing about The Sixth Sense is the trailers spoiled it.
    spoilers:
    Yeah, Willis being dead was a good twist ending IMO. But the real big reveal was that for the first hour you didn't really know what was happening with Osment. Then he tells his mom he sees dead people. Using that scene in the trailer removes all the suspense leading up to it.
    end of spoilers
    I guess I just dont see it as a good twist. I mean when you watch the movie you can kind of figure it out. Like the kid he hangs with sees dead people. And throughout the movie people always seem to ignore Willis, but not the kid. So yea wasnt a huge twist.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I guess I just dont see it as a good twist. I mean when you watch the movie you can kind of figure it out. Like the kid he hangs with sees dead people. And throughout the movie people always seem to ignore Willis, but not the kid. So yea wasnt a huge twist.
    I get that. For some it was, for some it wasn't. My point was the earlier revelation, which to me was more significant, was ruined by the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Yeah, same with me and The Sixth Sense. I figured the twist out but didn't realize it was supposed to be a twist. I just assumed everyone knew it. Then friends who saw it after me were freaking out because they didn't realize spoilers:
    that Bruce Willis was dead the whole time
    end of spoilers.

That movie is pretty dull if you aren't surprised by the ending so I understand where you're coming from.
    The great thing about that twist is that it's set up perfectly. It's the sort of twist that re-contextualizes everything you've seen before -- and the re-contextualizing works. It explains a whole bunch of weird things about the movie.

spoilers:
    When the big reveal happens, you then realize that throughout the movie, Bruce Willis' character only has substantial interactions with the kid who can see dead people, and that everyone else is basically ignoring him. Granted, you DO see it coming after the prologue, but the movie makes one forget about the prologue and think his relations with the important people in his life are strained and they're ignoring him because they're mad at him or something. When in fact they're ignoring him because they can't see dead people, unlike the kid.
    end of spoilers

It's the sort of twist that makes one go "Oh, that makes sense! It explains everything!" Which is why, in the end, it's a good twist.

The Village's twist, on the other hand, raises more questions than it answers. One of the biggest is how the Elders of the village have been getting away with deceiving the rest of the village for as long as they have, and how they've kept the outside world from coming and finding it.

I pretty much gave up on M. Night Shyamalan after The Village. The Village had an interesting idea and concept, but extremely flawed execution. Signs also doesn't really hold up very well to repeat viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I get that. For some it was, for some it wasn't. My point was the earlier revelation, which to me was more significant, was ruined by the trailer.
    Yea I understand what you mean. I hate when the trailers show too much. Like in comedy movies when the best jokes are in the previews.
    Last edited by babyblob; 08-21-2020 at 10:53 AM.

Retired

Well, if the movie is set in a post-apocalyptic future, then I have to pretend to not exist in that future, because that's the premise. I don't have any choice, that's the only option I've been given. I must pretend to not exist.

Any movie I haven't seen is in a Schrödinger's Cat state. Its existence is only potential, not yet realized. Perhaps NEW MUTANTS will never actually exist, so long as we never see it. It's a good reason not to see movies, as seeing them brings them out of a state of quantum possibility and into a defined state of being.

BANNED

There are so many...

The Dark Knight
    Captain Marvel
    Avataar
    The Matrix
    Captain America
    Star Wars: Rogue One
    Charlie's Angels

I could go on and on....

I was just late enough to The Sixth Sense that the ending hadn't been spoiled, but I'd heard "you'll never guess" enough times that I watched it knowing a twist was coming.

I figured out that Willis had been dead the whole movie, right around the middle. I still found it enjoyable.

Bruce Willis dies in the opening scene. You can stop using spoiler tags now.