Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

No matter how unlikable the guy becomes, the main guy is still the guy with most depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrestler View Post
    I'm in this rare group of people here too.
    That makes three of us, I don’t dislike any of the robins or other Batfamily members but with the exception of Dick there all kind of just there.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    the Robins more than Batman? I love Bruce/Bats but the addition of Dick Grayson in 1940 made him more interesting. Plus, in 80 years, look where Dick has ended up, as Nightwing, a hero in his own right. Same with Tim, Jason and Damian. They've all gotten great development. Bruce has just remained static and could be in danger of being a boring character if it weren't for the fact that he has kick ass gadgets, cars and fights well. I guess the inspiration initially and continues to be Sherlock Holmes. Holmes ended up static, Watson ended up married.
    I wouldn’t go that far Bruce most certainly has development it’s just not as in your face as other characters, hell I’d argue the characters you mentioned are just as static as you say Bruce is. With the exception of a Jason(and even that’s debatable) they either haven’t developed that much in decades or are constantly regressing.
    Last edited by Jcady59; 08-19-2020 at 08:14 PM.

Unpopular, but I think Damian should have been the first and only Batman sidekick.

Mighty Member

Yes, very much so. I read Batman on occasion. Tried Snyder's run, it wasn't for me. Liked, but didn't love King's run. Can't get into Tynion. But I loved Hush, Under the Hood. Some of the Knightfall stuff is great. And I'm trying to get through No Man's Land right now.

But I absolutely prefer the Robins. Tim Drake was my gateway to DC comics, first in Young Justice, then later Teen Titans. He is still my favorite DC hero of all time. I like Grayson, but his book is often of dubious quality. I loved the Jason Todd tease in Hush, read the hell out of Under the Hood when they finally brought him back, and have absolutely been enjoying his book since the Rebirth era started. Red Hood is such a wonderful character with so many ways to approach him.

Damian I'm of two minds on. Morrison's Damian is amazing. But I don't think any other writer has really nailed the same voice since. He's a great idea, but the execution isn't always there.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    What Red Hood is awsome. Super Sons is really fun. Sure Nightwing could be better and the Titans/Teen Titans have been more fun.

I recently read "Batman: Universe", this is what fun and passionate really means.
    I really liked the first quarter of Nightwing and Red Hood Rebirth, but NW post-shooting has been unreadable and Red Hood has been largely mediocre after Artemis and Bizarro left. Super Sons was a ton of fun, and if DC liked money and creating what fans wanted to read they'd have kept it going and not aged up Jon, but unfortunately it's been over for a while now.

Teen Titans has been basically nonstop character assassination for Damian, really not a fan of the whole "young suicide squad" tonal approach to the book, and Young Justice feels very stale and lacks what made the original comic so much fun. I just don't think Bendis writes young characters particularly well, and giving Tim a new superhero moniker was a mistake.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Here's my problem with absolutely everything

Batman's the only one driving the plot, so no matter what happened in the Bat family titles, they can't affect the larger plot in a significant way. On the other hand if something happens in Batman, the Bat family titles have to follow.

This means while the Bat family titles can run on their own on most of the time, they have to drop their own plot to be affected by a Batman event. This either resulted in a janky reading at least or a change of direction, including setting and supporting cast at worst.

On the other hand, when they do show up in Batman or having something that should affect Batman title, they don't.

Like Red Hood shooting Penguin, Penguin's up and running in Batman the next issue.

Batman called Bat family to help rescue Alfred from Thomas Wayne, but the bulk of the story has Batman fighting the whole of Gotham while Bat family is curb stomped by Thomas.

So if I read Batman only, it's annoying because why is this extraneous characters are there if they're not affecting anything

But if I read certain Bat Family title only, every few months I have to yell at Batman event because he keeps bothering the story I read

and if I read all of them, I get angry at everything I mentioned

Meaning I don't enjoy any of them

Well, they don't happen that often so while they don't happen, I can enjoy all of them, but when they do, I'm reminded that the system is broken
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-20-2020 at 06:26 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Here's my problem with absolutely everything

Batman's the only one driving the plot, so no matter what happened in the Bat family titles, they can't affect the larger plot in a significant way. On the other hand if something happens in Batman, the Bat family titles have to follow.

This means while the Bat family titles can run on their own on most of the time, they have to drop their own plot to be affected by a Batman event. This either resulted in a janky reading at least or a change of direction, including setting and supporting cast at worst.

On the other hand, when they do show up in Batman or having something that should affect Batman title, they don't.
    Because they are spin offs. Until they become big names, they will be treated as spin offs.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    Because they are spin-offs. Until they become big names, they will be treated as spin-offs.
    Well, that doesn't make for an enjoyable reading experience, which is the problem.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-20-2020 at 04:52 AM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Nah, it's Batman all the way.

Dick Grayson is an easy number 2, as the Dr. Watson to Batman's Sherlock Holmes.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-20-2020 at 10:35 AM.