Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default anyone enjoy reading and following...

the Robins more than Batman? I love Bruce/Bats but the addition of Dick Grayson in 1940 made him more interesting. Plus, in 80 years, look where Dick has ended up, as Nightwing, a hero in his own right. Same with Tim, Jason and Damian. They've all gotten great development. Bruce has just remained static and could be in danger of being a boring character if it weren't for the fact that he has kick ass gadgets, cars and fights well. I guess the inspiration initially and continues to be Sherlock Holmes. Holmes ended up static, Watson ended up married.

Started with Batman, knew about Dick, and became a big fan of Jason and Damian while growing fed up with the direction most people write Bruce. Tim, I'm neutral on. I don't hate him or anything, and acknowledge his place in the lore, but I'm just not a fan of his either.

Bruce... In Super Sons, well, that's about the only time in recent years I know I've enjoyed main Batman. If he were at least less of an a-hole, I might grow to like him again.

The Batgirls. Babs is good, though I wouldn't mind her being Oracle without being fridged again. And reading Cass and Steph as Batgirl in their own runs was awesome. Each brought something different to the role, but in a different way. And Babs looking out for them all the while.

Dick I was following along until the whole "Ric" thing. Which I promptly dropped. Just no. Jason, depends on the writer. Some writers do not do him justice (be it pre-Flashpoint or post), while others actually do a great job. And Damian is either hit or miss. When guest starring in the Super books recently, Bendis cannot write him at all. When under Tomasi or Tom Taylor, nailed it.

Spectacular Member

Right now, the "Robins" aren't in such a great place in terms of the stories they're receiving, but overall I would agree. I like all of the Robins quite a bit, and I think that characters aging over time allows the reader to experience them at different stages of life.

That said, any character can become static if the writer has nothing new to say. I think we have been and will continue to get great Batman stories so long as there are passionate people wanting to tell them.

Yeah, I've always been in it for the Robins and Batgirls. Even back before I read comics, I always found Batman and Superman to be heroes with supporting casts that were way more interesting than them.

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

I probably will get burned alive to post it on one of Batman forum, but before I am huge Marvel and Iron Man lover, so I....uh....sometimes bash Batman when there's comparison between Iron Man and Batman.
    "Symbol of Darkness and Fear to villain my ass, only dumb villain who will fear someone that wear panty outside his pants"
    "He's so show off with his tech, even though unlike Iron Man his tech were made by Lucius Fox, not by himself"
    "Why is he still CEO, even though he never contribute anything to WE, he just entered galas, using his money for secret superhero stuff, JL, and donation. Which I think is good thing, don't get me wrong, but how can WE are not bankrupted after all those expenses?"
    "Why does he always talk about his parents death, I get it he loves his parents so much but must he talk about that on his date? It's annoying."
    .....something like that *ducked from multiple batarangs*

So yeah let alone enjoy Robins more than Batman, I've never been fans of Batman but now HUGE fans of Robins. My first DC comic I've read is Damian comic (which is pantyless, thank God, I have great distaste for outside panty), then I get attracted to all Robins. For me their stories are more interesting when they're away from Bruce (like RSOB, Red Robin, Nightwing and Red Hood solo). BUT I understand that they can exist at all because of Batman, so as Robins fan, I can't hate Batman, only his writing when he hurts one of the Robins. Unlike Robins, I've never been excited for Batman's future because just like you said, Batman is static character.

BANNED

How about the times when Iron Man was in his underwear and wearing the armor? That doesn't work out for you or you go with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Wingin' It View Post
    Right now, the "Robins" aren't in such a great place in terms of the stories they're receiving, but overall I would agree. I like all of the Robins quite a bit, and I think that characters aging over time allows the reader to experience them at different stages of life.

That said, any character can become static if the writer has nothing new to say. I think we have been and will continue to get great Batman stories so long as there are passionate people wanting to tell them.
    What Red Hood is awsome. Super Sons is really fun. Sure Nightwing could be better and the Titans/Teen Titans have been more fun.

I recently read "Batman: Universe", this is what fun and passionate really means.

Oh most definitely, not to say I hate Batman because I do enjoy his comics, movies, and games, it’s just that I like the Batfamily a whole lot more. I started reading comics with Tim Drake in Young Justice/Teen Titans, I’ve been following Damian since his creation, and Jason Todd’s story and relationship with the Batfamily I find very compelling. Then there is Dick Grayson.

Nightwing is without a doubt my favorite superhero and DC Character, the only reason I’m not reading him right now is because I hate the Ric thing. But when he’s done right in past comics and in Young Justice he is my favorite thing to see. There have been times I’ve dropped the Batman title but still followed Nightwing. So yeah, I’d pick him over Batman any day of the week.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Nope. Batman still has far more fun stuff to read than any of the robins.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    What Red Hood is awsome. Super Sons is really fun. Sure Nightwing could be better and the Titans/Teen Titans have been more fun.

I recently read "Batman: Universe", this is what fun and passionate really means.
    I really liked the first quarter of Nightwing and Red Hood Rebirth, but NW post-shooting has been unreadable and Red Hood has been largely mediocre after Artemis and Bizarro left. Super Sons was a ton of fun, and if DC liked money and creating what fans wanted to read they'd have kept it going and not aged up Jon, but unfortunately it's been over for a while now.

Teen Titans has been basically nonstop character assassination for Damian, really not a fan of the whole "young suicide squad" tonal approach to the book, and Young Justice feels very stale and lacks what made the original comic so much fun. I just don't think Bendis writes young characters particularly well, and giving Tim a new superhero moniker was a mistake.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Here's my problem with absolutely everything

Batman's the only one driving the plot, so no matter what happened in the Bat family titles, they can't affect the larger plot in a significant way. On the other hand if something happens in Batman, the Bat family titles have to follow.

This means while the Bat family titles can run on their own on most of the time, they have to drop their own plot to be affected by a Batman event. This either resulted in a janky reading at least or a change of direction, including setting and supporting cast at worst.

On the other hand, when they do show up in Batman or having something that should affect Batman title, they don't.

Like Red Hood shooting Penguin, Penguin's up and running in Batman the next issue.

Batman called Bat family to help rescue Alfred from Thomas Wayne, but the bulk of the story has Batman fighting the whole of Gotham while Bat family is curb stomped by Thomas.

So if I read Batman only, it's annoying because why is this extraneous characters are there if they're not affecting anything

But if I read certain Bat Family title only, every few months I have to yell at Batman event because he keeps bothering the story I read

and if I read all of them, I get angry at everything I mentioned

Meaning I don't enjoy any of them

Well, they don't happen that often so while they don't happen, I can enjoy all of them, but when they do, I'm reminded that the system is broken
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-20-2020 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    the Robins more than Batman? I love Bruce/Bats but the addition of Dick Grayson in 1940 made him more interesting. Plus, in 80 years, look where Dick has ended up, as Nightwing, a hero in his own right. Same with Tim, Jason and Damian. They've all gotten great development. Bruce has just remained static and could be in danger of being a boring character if it weren't for the fact that he has kick ass gadgets, cars and fights well. I guess the inspiration initially and continues to be Sherlock Holmes. Holmes ended up static, Watson ended up married.
    I wouldn’t go that far Bruce most certainly has development it’s just not as in your face as other characters, hell I’d argue the characters you mentioned are just as static as you say Bruce is. With the exception of a Jason(and even that’s debatable) they either haven’t developed that much in decades or are constantly regressing.
    Last edited by Jcady59; 08-19-2020 at 08:14 PM.

Unpopular, but I think Damian should have been the first and only Batman sidekick.

Mighty Member

Yes, very much so. I read Batman on occasion. Tried Snyder's run, it wasn't for me. Liked, but didn't love King's run. Can't get into Tynion. But I loved Hush, Under the Hood. Some of the Knightfall stuff is great. And I'm trying to get through No Man's Land right now.

But I absolutely prefer the Robins. Tim Drake was my gateway to DC comics, first in Young Justice, then later Teen Titans. He is still my favorite DC hero of all time. I like Grayson, but his book is often of dubious quality. I loved the Jason Todd tease in Hush, read the hell out of Under the Hood when they finally brought him back, and have absolutely been enjoying his book since the Rebirth era started. Red Hood is such a wonderful character with so many ways to approach him.

Damian I'm of two minds on. Morrison's Damian is amazing. But I don't think any other writer has really nailed the same voice since. He's a great idea, but the execution isn't always there.