Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default anyone enjoy reading and following...

the Robins more than Batman? I love Bruce/Bats but the addition of Dick Grayson in 1940 made him more interesting. Plus, in 80 years, look where Dick has ended up, as Nightwing, a hero in his own right. Same with Tim, Jason and Damian. They've all gotten great development. Bruce has just remained static and could be in danger of being a boring character if it weren't for the fact that he has kick ass gadgets, cars and fights well. I guess the inspiration initially and continues to be Sherlock Holmes. Holmes ended up static, Watson ended up married.

Started with Batman, knew about Dick, and became a big fan of Jason and Damian while growing fed up with the direction most people write Bruce. Tim, I'm neutral on. I don't hate him or anything, and acknowledge his place in the lore, but I'm just not a fan of his either.

Bruce... In Super Sons, well, that's about the only time in recent years I know I've enjoyed main Batman. If he were at least less of an a-hole, I might grow to like him again.

The Batgirls. Babs is good, though I wouldn't mind her being Oracle without being fridged again. And reading Cass and Steph as Batgirl in their own runs was awesome. Each brought something different to the role, but in a different way. And Babs looking out for them all the while.

Dick I was following along until the whole "Ric" thing. Which I promptly dropped. Just no. Jason, depends on the writer. Some writers do not do him justice (be it pre-Flashpoint or post), while others actually do a great job. And Damian is either hit or miss. When guest starring in the Super books recently, Bendis cannot write him at all. When under Tomasi or Tom Taylor, nailed it.

Spectacular Member

Right now, the "Robins" aren't in such a great place in terms of the stories they're receiving, but overall I would agree. I like all of the Robins quite a bit, and I think that characters aging over time allows the reader to experience them at different stages of life.

That said, any character can become static if the writer has nothing new to say. I think we have been and will continue to get great Batman stories so long as there are passionate people wanting to tell them.

Yeah, I've always been in it for the Robins and Batgirls. Even back before I read comics, I always found Batman and Superman to be heroes with supporting casts that were way more interesting than them.

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

I probably will get burned alive to post it on one of Batman forum, but before I am huge Marvel and Iron Man lover, so I....uh....sometimes bash Batman when there's comparison between Iron Man and Batman.
    "Symbol of Darkness and Fear to villain my ass, only dumb villain who will fear someone that wear panty outside his pants"
    "He's so show off with his tech, even though unlike Iron Man his tech were made by Lucius Fox, not by himself"
    "Why is he still CEO, even though he never contribute anything to WE, he just entered galas, using his money for secret superhero stuff, JL, and donation. Which I think is good thing, don't get me wrong, but how can WE are not bankrupted after all those expenses?"
    "Why does he always talk about his parents death, I get it he loves his parents so much but must he talk about that on his date? It's annoying."
    .....something like that *ducked from multiple batarangs*

So yeah let alone enjoy Robins more than Batman, I've never been fans of Batman but now HUGE fans of Robins. My first DC comic I've read is Damian comic (which is pantyless, thank God, I have great distaste for outside panty), then I get attracted to all Robins. For me their stories are more interesting when they're away from Bruce (like RSOB, Red Robin, Nightwing and Red Hood solo). BUT I understand that they can exist at all because of Batman, so as Robins fan, I can't hate Batman, only his writing when he hurts one of the Robins. Unlike Robins, I've never been excited for Batman's future because just like you said, Batman is static character.

BANNED

How about the times when Iron Man was in his underwear and wearing the armor? That doesn't work out for you or you go with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Denkota View Post
    How about the times when Iron Man was in his underwear and wearing the armor? That doesn't work out for you or you go with it?
    Wearing underwear is fine, but wearing it outside for people to see is my problem. Also Tony is supposed to be eccentric and kinda shameless, I even laughed when reading an issue that have Tony parading across the town naked. What baffled me is someone who monologued "I am the Night, I am Dark Knight etc, I strikes fear yadda yadda" while wearing underwear outside his pants. I remember when my cousin cosplayed as Batman, but he didn't have black underwear, so he borrowed his mother's "underwear". Or one of my childhood painted her underwear with red paint, much for her mother's panic XD XD
    That's why I'm sorry but I can't take someone who wear outside panty as serious character, let alone rooted for them
    Last edited by Light of Justice; 08-18-2020 at 11:53 PM.

Moved on from Batman years ago, not into Batgod. I read Batwoman when she makes appearances, she's competent but not the best at anything, she's flawed but does the right thing from her POV, which I like. Also not a sidekick, I like that.
    She messes stuff up but stays a hero, none of that Mary Sue garbage, nor is she an anti-hero (though I do like anti-heroes as well).

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Light of Justice View Post
    Wearing underwear is fine, but wearing it outside for people to see is my problem. Also Tony is supposed to be eccentric and kinda shameless, I even laughed when reading an issue that have Tony parading across the town naked. What baffled me is someone who monologued "I am the Night, I am Dark Knight etc, I strikes fear yadda yadda" while wearing underwear outside his pants. I remember when my cousin cosplayed as Batman, but he didn't have black underwear, so he borrowed his mother's "underwear". Or one of my childhood painted her underwear with red paint, much for her mother's panic XD XD
    That's why I'm sorry but I can't take someone who wear outside panty as serious character, let alone rooted for them
    There was a lot of underwear in your childhood. You are truly blessed.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    There was a lot of underwear in your childhood. You are truly blessed.
    My hometown is a village away from central city, and almost all of my relatives live near me so, yeah. Basic human decency like underwear are flaunted freely on my childhood. Don't know if I'm blessed or cursed. Still love 'em though.

No, in this forum I'm the rarity in that I still prefer Batman over any of the Robins and sidekicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingin' It View Post
    Right now, the "Robins" aren't in such a great place in terms of the stories they're receiving, but overall I would agree. I like all of the Robins quite a bit, and I think that characters aging over time allows the reader to experience them at different stages of life.

That said, any character can become static if the writer has nothing new to say. I think we have been and will continue to get great Batman stories so long as there are passionate people wanting to tell them.
    What Red Hood is awsome. Super Sons is really fun. Sure Nightwing could be better and the Titans/Teen Titans have been more fun.

I recently read "Batman: Universe", this is what fun and passionate really means.

Oh most definitely, not to say I hate Batman because I do enjoy his comics, movies, and games, it’s just that I like the Batfamily a whole lot more. I started reading comics with Tim Drake in Young Justice/Teen Titans, I’ve been following Damian since his creation, and Jason Todd’s story and relationship with the Batfamily I find very compelling. Then there is Dick Grayson.

Nightwing is without a doubt my favorite superhero and DC Character, the only reason I’m not reading him right now is because I hate the Ric thing. But when he’s done right in past comics and in Young Justice he is my favorite thing to see. There have been times I’ve dropped the Batman title but still followed Nightwing. So yeah, I’d pick him over Batman any day of the week.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Nope. Batman still has far more fun stuff to read than any of the robins.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    No, in this forum I'm the rarity in that I still prefer Batman over any of the Robins and sidekicks.
    I'm in this rare group of people here too.