Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    I don't know, I loved his New Avengers and Avengers runs. But I agree his solo stuff is much better.
    Bendis is great super-hero teams. What I've read of his New Avengers was exciting and made sense, despite the fact I picked it up in the middle of everything with Veranke. Some characters get the short thrift, like Iron Fist, but no team title is immune to that.

I was perfectly happy with Young Justice and found it enjoyable. It wasn't New Avengers level of shock and awe, but it was pretty cool. I'll miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
    Too much navel-gazing about continuity...
    I am suffering from Multiverse Exhaustion. Multiverse, Characters Lost From History, Memories Erased, Crossing Parallel Dimensions, Character Backstories That Happened Somewhere Else, Multiple Versions Of Every Character (Mixed With Batman), Destruction Of All Realities Everywhere Exhaustion.

Mind you, I love continuity. I am a big fan of clever, carefully thought-out, well-used world building. This (and I'm not just talking about YJ, but the whole DCU these days) isn't that. This is spaghetti thrown against the wall to see what sticks. This is chaos with an ever-delayed promise that it'll all make sense someday (if the plan isn't overthrown by Didio leaving, or massive lay-offs, or interference by corporate overlords, or movie box office and TV ratings, or...). I think it's extremely, extremely hard to do character development or character relationships - or, really, just meaningful ongoing stories - in such a context, and I don't think DC's doing a good job of it.

To the point where I just find it hard to read it all. When the characters in Young Justice started cross-talking about if they knew each other, and if so, from where, and what they remembered, and if everybody remembered the same things, and if people outside YJ remembered any of this stuff, I just lost interest. (We went through something similar with the Titans in Rebirth. At least there were fewer of them!) And I like some of these characters!

The pandemic lockdown has been a useful, albeit somewhat sad, excuse for me to set aside a nearly life-long habit of buying comics to keep up with the DC Universe. To the extent I want to keep up at all - that I think there's anything really interesting to keep up with - I read articles and I see what people are saying here.

Increasingly my attitude is, "Show me that you can handle one universe in an interesting and narratively cohesive manner, and we'll just see about giving you one or two more!"

Bu that's just me. And, of course, I'm not in charge. (I'm not sure who is, these days.)
    Last edited by Doctor Bifrost; 08-21-2020 at 10:21 PM.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

I was late on my YJ reading, so I read 15-18 in one sitting.
    God, I'm disappointed with this book.
    Its entire existence seems to be about explaining DC's crappy continuity and it wasn't even done in a satisfying way.
    Why not just have the team's history restored from the start and tell new stories to show why these characters and their connections matter?
    Now we have some continuity refugees, some half remembered past adventures and absolutely no idea why we should care about these shallow copies.
    Just ignore the New 52 Teen Titans and move on already, DC.
    Superboy doesn't need to be from a dead continuity and there's no reason why the team can't remember their history if so much of Pre-FP is supposedly being restored anyway.

All in all, this books ends up feeling inconsequential. Almost 20 issues to badly establish where these characters fit into continuity, only to have the next event probably make the whole effort moot.
    The whole "Drake" mess is just another symptom of poorly thought out ideas in this book.

I do hope the characters can return in a truly good new take, but this volume was not it.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Almost 20 issues to badly establish where these characters fit into continuity, only to have the next event probably make the whole effort moot.
    This is why I’m dropping modern DC. I don’t see how people can be invested in the endless reboots when we don’t even get the new status quo established before they move on to the next one.

I wouldn’t care if they were ignoring continuity to tell interesting stories. But I’ll no longer spend money on navel-gazing about how DC’s history may or may not fit together this week.

I hope the new management puts a stop to this. It’s one thing to ask new readers to catch up on Superboy’s backstory, but it’s another to make it impossible for them to do so. What a disappointment this book proved to be.
    Last edited by Jadeb; 09-02-2020 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
    This is why I’m dropping modern DC. I don’t see how people can be invested in the endless reboots when we don’t even get the new status quo established before they move on to the next one.

I wouldn’t care if they were ignoring continuity to tell interesting stories. But I’ll no longer spend money on navel-gazing about how DC’s history may or may not fit together this week.

I hope the new management puts a stop to this. It’s one thing to ask new readers to catch up on Superboy’s backstory, but it’s another to make it impossible for them to do so. What a disappointment this book proved to be.

I still get this, and am happy to see these characters again, but this book has been such filler, with hugs and feel good nothings, it made it very vanilla

Ultimate Member

It's been a year and a half already? Wow. I don't even know what Naomi or Amethyst can do yet. (One glows and flies and might be able to do stuff with that glowy golden light like lasers and force fields, or not, the other talks a lot, postures and swings a sword around? Is it a magic sword? Is she a magic girl? Can the magic sword cut Superman and / or 'Boy? I have no idea. I could go look them up on the internet, but I'm old-fashioned, and don't read comics looking forward to having to do homework to know anything at all about the characters. Some mystery about new characters is cool. We didn't find out about Trigon or Tamaran in Raven and Starfire's first appearance, after all, but I kinda knew what they did in the first issue, never mind the first *year.*)

Luckily decent writers over the last decade or so have already told me what Tim, Conner, Cassie and Bart can do (although, to be fair, Bart pretty much shows off his one power every time he's on page).

I feel like I've just read one of those first year Image titles, like WildCATs or Youngblood or Cyberforce, where every issue just throws new characters and situations at us willy-nilly, and none of it is ever explained, or terribly relevant even two issues later. "And then... Robot nuns, with flamethrowers! But first, dinosaurs! Sexy, sexy dinosaurs, in swimwear!"
    Last edited by Sutekh; 09-03-2020 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    It's been a year and a half already? Wow. I don't even know what Naomi or Amethyst can do yet. (One glows and flies and might be able to do stuff with that glowy golden light like lasers and force fields, or not, the other talks a lot, postures and swings a sword around? Is it a magic sword? Is she a magic girl? Can the magic sword cut Superman and / or 'Boy? I have no idea. I could go look them up on the internet, but I'm old-fashioned, and don't read comics looking forward to having to do homework to know anything at all about the characters. Some mystery about new characters is cool. We didn't find out about Trigon or Tamaran in Raven and Starfire's first appearance, after all, but I kinda knew what they did in the first issue, never mind the first *year.*)

Luckily decent writers over the last decade or so have already told me what Tim, Conner, Cassie and Bart can do (although, to be fair, Bart pretty much shows off his one power every time he's on page).
    I mean I can’t speak for Naomi, we kind of have an idea from her introduction mini-series and I’m sure the sequel that Bendis wants will tell us more but we don’t really need to explain Amethyst. Amethyst has actually been around for a while, I think since the early 80’s, but this is just a more recent version of her. In fact she was around in New 52 in her own ongoing (Sword of Sorcery) and the Justice League Dark series.

Other then that she also at the same time as this issue has a mini-series that I think picked up the storyline from the first story arc of this Young Justice run, I’m not reading it so can’t quite be sure I just know she goes back to Gemworld.

Edit: Don’t know what happened to my 8 in 80’s, it’s back now.
    Last edited by sifighter; 09-07-2020 at 06:55 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Amethyst dates all the way back the early 80's, when a preview of her then-upcoming new series was sandwiched literally in the middle of Legion of Super-Heroes #298.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I enjoyed YJ but almost entirely for the character interactions. A bit of plot would have been nice, though.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.