Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I disagree, he has the personality and perfect villain pedigree from a soap opera perspective. The abandoned outcast jealous of their more successful sibling is a standard trope of the genre. And all comics are are drawn soap operas with more violence. Reveal an alternate timeline connection so he's not her real twin, make him Blond Hippolyta's son from the New 52 tribe or Dimension Chi. I see him as Wonder Woman's answer to Donna Troy's Lord Chaos.

Attachment 99903

He's atrocious let him commit a few atrocities.
    Standard tropes in comics is probably the reason they seem to be going the way of the soap opera.

Jason was a bad idea that was then very poorly executed & is probably best left in the past.

While I don't think it's fair to completely diss soap operas, I do agree that Wonder Woman deserves more nuanced storytelling. Suddenly introducing a long lost twin brother after 75 years of not having one is just... absurd in all the worst ways. If they were looking to incorporate more male energy into Wonder Woman (which, as far as I'm concerned, shouldn't be even close to the top priority right now), put more effort into the male characters that already have a history with her.

The "long lost twin" trope is the most tired, uninspiring, and least creative plot you can come up with, and it's insulting that Geoff Johns and DC thought that fans would ever want something like that, especially when Diana's other "sisters" Donna and Nubia are scarcely-seen in the Wonderverse.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Not all soap operas are alike. The trouble is rather that superhero comics has borrowed from the cheapest and least interesting storytelling tropes for too long, and has been in a feedback loop where the lead writers have primarily grown up on superhero comics and similar narratives, and the distribution system has fostered a monoculture of readers and narratives.

Because there are successful and well-crafted soap operas, or soap opera-like shows and stories, that superhero comics would do well to learn from.

A character like Jason comes from an inability to write and understand real drama, an inability to write female characters, and an unspoken desire to ruin the female power fantasy that lies at the core of Wonder Woman and the Amazons.
    That part. Absolutely that part.

Last edited by SonOfBaldwin; 08-20-2020 at 06:39 PM.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

This was not to debate the merits of Jason, he has none. However he popped up 3 or 4 issues ago and it will happen again. There has to be a way to channel the hatred he inspires in a positive direction until he no longer exists.

Incredible Member

I'm not interested in Jason, even as a villain. If they want a "villainous" (or rather, antagonistic) twin, they have Nubia.

I'm not interested in Diana having a "father" in any kind of "traditional" sense of the word (although I don't mind multiple Greek gods, male and female, playing a part in giving life to Hippolyta's child sculpted from clay). I guess at least part of the reluctance to having a male deeply embedded in her immediate, biological family extends to having a brother.

I also don't like the "long lost sibling / parent / child" storytelling trope. Especially when it comes at the expense of existing characters who could potentially serve a similar role in the storytelling.

This was not to debate the merits of Jason, he has none. However he popped up 3 or 4 issues ago and it will happen again. There has to be a way to channel the hatred he inspires in a positive direction until he no longer exists.
    Why do we have to do this? He isn't a very popular character and I am highly doubtful most writers will want to keep using him.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    I'm not interested in Diana having a "father" in any kind of "traditional" sense of the word (although I don't mind multiple Greek gods, male and female, playing a part in giving life to Hippolyta's child sculpted from clay). I guess at least part of the reluctance to having a male deeply embedded in her immediate, biological family extends to having a brother.

I also don't like the "long lost sibling / parent / child" storytelling trope. Especially when it comes at the expense of existing characters who could potentially serve a similar role in the storytelling.
    I worked out a sensible way to give Diana a brother that I think could work, but the key here was not to give Diana a brother, but to give additional depth to the Amazons and their backstory, and the possibility of a brother came out of the desire to give Diana other children around her on Themyscira.

Basically, Hippolyta and several othe Amazons either had children or were pregnant when they arrived at Themyscira. The girls grew up there (and in my outline they were Diana's competitors for going with Steve to Man's World), but what about any boys? If they were given into the care of Artemis and Hermes, what would be their eventual fate? Doing it like that would also give additional depth to the Amazons, by giving them not a dark secret but a shameful and painful secret.

Even a superficial exploration of this would give plenty of hooks into other pieces of Diana's setting. It could add to her exasperation with the Patrons. It could add resonance to Simone's Circle concept and plot. It could open up an exploration on how Amazons (and by extension Diana) views family. It would add to why Hippolyta had so much trouble accepting Diana leaving the island, because she had already given up one child to Man's World, as the cost for sanctuary on Themyscira.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Incredible Member

I disagree, he has the personality and perfect villain pedigree from a soap opera perspective. The abandoned outcast jealous of their more successful sibling is a standard trope of the genre. And all comics are are drawn soap operas with more violence. Reveal an alternate timeline connection so he's not her real twin, make him Blond Hippolyta's son from the New 52 tribe or Dimension Chi. I see him as Wonder Woman's answer to Donna Troy's Lord Chaos.

WW V Lord_Chaos_01.jpg

Gah - my eyes!! If the skirt isn't even going to cover the man berries, what's the point of the skirt in the first place?

I had forgotten that Lord Chaos's costume was even uglier and unnecessarily detailed than Perez's Troia costume.
    Last edited by Frank; 08-21-2020 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Gah - my eyes!! If the skirt isn't even going to cover the man berries, what's the point of the skirt in the first place?

I had forgotten that Lord Chaos's costume was even uglier and unnecessarily detailed than Perez's Troia costume.
    Ha HA! I’m glad someone spoke on the skirt. Love Perez, but yeah...some of his costumes. Whew.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post

That's what I'm talking about, don't you love to hate it? He's Donna's son (but not really) like Jason is Diana's brother (but not really).
    Lord Chaos' costume is also based on Troia's like Jason's is based on Wonder Woman.

WW JASON.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Suddenly introducing a long lost twin brother after 75 years of not having one is just... absurd in all the worst ways.
    Whatever Happened To Cobalt Blue?

(I happen to be in complete agreement with you.)
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

I hate Jason. Hate. Not needed in the mythos. I can't stand this constant need to shoehorn in a guy to her family...

Personally he should be relegated to Earth 52, since that now exists. He's THAT Diana's brother. Keep Zeus daddy over there too, with the man killing Amazons and all.

I could only see him being revealed as such...a universe switched being from E52 who doesn't realize he's on a different Earth, and thinks this Diana is his sister. She can then haveva spiritual brother of sorts, without all the garbage the previous story adds to Diana...

And if i say it enough times it will come true, like the reveal of the proper multiverse and how it's grown, in DDC