Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Dini's run on Detective Comics, I'd like to read your opinions

Dini did some great work on animated Batman back in the 90s and I missed his run during the 2000s; I've had the itch to catch up but before I spend money I'd like to know how folks rate it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt of Rivia View Post
    Dini did some great work on animated Batman back in the 90s and I missed his run during the 2000s; I've had the itch to catch up but before I spend money I'd like to know how folks rate it. Thanks.
    Dini did 3 things concerning Batman Comics:

• Mad Love
    • Detective Comics
    • Streets of Gotham

Mad Love was done with Bruce Timm (the man he co-wrote/co-created Batman: The Animated Series with), and is the introduction of Harley Quinn in the comics. The art is fantastic and the story excellent. Probably the best Harley story ever.

Then his detective work comes right after Jeph Loeb's who just finished Batman: Hush, introducing a new vilain in the name of Hush and making the Batman/Catwoman evolve. Dini will come up with some very well written stories and will expend on Hush and the Bat-Cat relationship brilliantly.

He then pursues his storyline in "Streets of Gotham". In which he will conclude the magestic Hush Saga started by Jeph Loeb.

Art wise, it is managed by Dustin Nguyen, a not so bad artist. But sadly his true talent recides in his watercolors that you'll only see on the issue covers.

It is a run (Detective Comics + Streets of Gotham) that I truly recommand. Much less complicated than Grant Morrison's at the same time (even if Morrison did some great works with Damian Wayne) and has lots and lots of emotions.
    Last edited by jb681131; 08-19-2020 at 10:11 AM.

From what I remember his detective comics was a bunch of fun one and dones. Heart of Hush is a story that I can go back to frequently, because it actually makes Hush an interesting character. I didn’t love his streets of Gotham, though. It started off interesting but fizzled out.
    Books I’m pulling: Justice League Dark, Batman and the, Outsiders, Suicide squad, Daredevil, Tynion’s Batman, X-men, X-force, Marauders, Hellions, X-Factor, Three Jokers, Deceased Dead Planet

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Dr. Phosphorus came back during his run right? I remember that.

BANNED

IMO one of the best detective comic run. Mad Love is awesome, Heart of Hush is amazing and the Street of Gotham is good. Paul Dini's Batman is always interesting and exciting. I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    I think he (probably) is the best "bat-writer" of the last twenty years.
    I would disagree on that, Greg Rucka is far above and behond. Then he could be 2nd best, but it's hard because I have strong likings for other writters such as: Ed Brubaker, Brian Micheal Bendis, Gregg Hurwitz, Peter J. Tomasi, Francis Manapul & Brian Buccellato, and Grant Morrison.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Well I can say our tastes are totally different: Morrison and Bendis are two of the two writers i more dislike (even if I recognize Morrison is one of the most talented writer I never seen) and I consider the Rucka/Brubaker period of Batman is the worst of all time.

Well I can say our tastes are totally different: Morrison and Bendis are two of the two writers i more dislike (even if I recognize Morrison is one of the most talented writer I never seen) and I consider the Rucka/Brubaker period of Batman is the worst of all time.
    What !? Have you read Batman: Universe by Bendis or Batman Inc. by Morrison !? And Rucka/Brubaker did the best batman as a detective stories ever ! There New Gotham era is fantastic. Did you read "Turning Point" and "Gotham Central" ??

The Ancient Romans said: «The tastes aren't matter of discussion.»
    The ancient Romans are wrong. You can learn to appreciate things.

Thanks guys, yeah I own Loeb's Hush in TPB (which in my opinion reads like a popcorn movie aimed towards the general public) and floppies for Heart of Hush which I really enjoyed reading and I thought really improved that villain as a character, which is why I figured I might go back to the rest of Dini's Tec run.

Im also familiar with Morrison's run having read from the initial arc where he introduced Damian and up until Batman RIP - I still have his Batman and Robin, the Return and Batman Inc stints in my to read pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt of Rivia View Post
    Thanks guys, yeah I own Loeb's Hush in TPB (which in my opinion reads like a popcorn movie aimed towards the general public) and floppies for Heart of Hush which I really enjoyed reading and I thought really improved that villain as a character, which is why I figured I might go back to the rest of Dini's Tec run.

Im also familiar with Morrison's run having read from the initial arc where he introduced Damian and up until Batman RIP - I still have his Batman and Robin, the Return and Batman Inc stints in my to read pile.
    You only have Hush and Heart of Hush ! You're missing out Hush Money ad House of Hush to finish the Hush Saga. It even gets better and better as it goes.

His run was the best because he didn't need arcs
    He just told interesting one and done stories that resolved themselves by the end and carried some continuity

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    You only have Hush and Heart of Hush ! You're missing out Hush Money ad House of Hush to finish the Hush Saga. It even gets better and better as it goes.
    Are those for real? I can't find them anywhere.