Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The best story of his Detective run was Slay Ride. A story where Joker kidnapped Tim Drake and took him in a car ride hitting pedestrians during Christmas. Great story that has off Tim's intelligence and mental fortitude

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt of Rivia View Post
    Are those for real? I can't find them anywhere.
    Yes they are real, his run continues in "Streets of Gotham". Streets of Gotham exists in 3 tpb:
    • Hush Money (#1-4 w/ Detective Comics #852 & Batman #685)
    • Leviathan (#5-11)
    • House of Hush (#12-14, 16-21)

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Yes they are real, his run continues in "Streets of Gotham". Streets of Gotham exists in 3 tpb:
    • Hush Money (#1-4 w/ Detective Comics #852 & Batman #685)
    • Leviathan (#5-11)
    • House of Hush (#12-14, 16-21)
    Thanks for that, didn't even know that book existed; I have lots of catching up to do.

Thanks for that, didn't even know that book existed; I have lots of catching up to do.
    Have fun, and don't hesitate to tell us what you thought of the stories.

All of Dini's work on Detective & Streets of Gotham are collected in the upcoming omnibus coming out next week.

As for Dini's entire Detective run, the time when Dini was on Detective and Morrison was on Batman was the best era of Batman's publishing history, in my opinion......As a few others mentioned, Dini did some solid one-and-done issues, and Heart Of Hush was far better than Loeb's original, and overrated, Hush storyline. The two addendum issues for Heart Of Hush (Detective 852 & Batman 685) were solid.

I disagree with jb681131 about Hush Money & House of Hush being better than Heart of Hush.....I thought Dini's Streets of Gotham run was mediocre, nowhere near the caliber of his Detective run.

Regardless, all of those Dini issues are going to be in the omnibus, along with a few of his other Batman-related works.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    IMO one of the best detective comic run. Mad Love is awesome, Heart of Hush is amazing and the Street of Gotham is good. Paul Dini's Batman is always interesting and exciting. I highly recommend it.
    In full agreement. If Paul Dini has written a Batman story, I'll be there to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The best story of his Detective run was Slay Ride. A story where Joker kidnapped Tim Drake and took him in a car ride hitting pedestrians during Christmas. Great story that has off Tim's intelligence and mental fortitude
    That's a great story. Dini is not only one of the best Batman writers, he's one of the best with the Joker as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    All of Dini's work on Detective & Streets of Gotham are collected in the upcoming omnibus coming out next week.

As for Dini's entire Detective run, the time when Dini was on Detective and Morrison was on Batman was the best era of Batman's publishing history, in my opinion......As a few others mentioned, Dini did some solid one-and-done issues, and Heart Of Hush was far better than Loeb's original, and overrated, Hush storyline. The two addendum issues for Heart Of Hush (Detective 852 & Batman 685) were solid.

I disagree with jb681131 about Hush Money & House of Hush being better than Heart of Hush.....I thought Dini's Streets of Gotham run was mediocre, nowhere near the caliber of his Detective run.

Regardless, all of those Dini issues are going to be in the omnibus, along with a few of his other Batman-related works.
    I agree with all of this on Dini and Morrison. Love Grant's Batman run.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Best single issue? Surely.

It's overall a fun run with lots of great moments. I don't think it has any landmark classics (potentially Heart of Hush being the biggest long-form arc it told with any weight), but it was just solid Batman work each month. Think of Batman the Animated Series. It never went full Heart of Ice, but it was BTAS, so to speak.

I'm so glad it's getting collected in an omnibus. Can't wait to pour over it again in a large collection. He also introduced some new characters. Some silly (The Carpenter) and some notsomuch (the new Ventriloquist).

He also never dipped into Batgod that I remember. I recall enjoying his run for being solid, straightforward Batman stories. He's up there on my Batman writer Mount Rushmore for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Best single issue? Surely.

It's overall a fun run with lots of great moments. I don't think it has any landmark classics (potentially Heart of Hush being the biggest long-form arc it told with any weight), but it was just solid Batman work each month. Think of Batman the Animated Series. It never went full Heart of Ice, but it was BTAS, so to speak.

I'm so glad it's getting collected in an omnibus. Can't wait to pour over it again in a large collection. He also introduced some new characters. Some silly (The Carpenter) and some notsomuch (the new Ventriloquist).

He also never dipped into Batgod that I remember. I recall enjoying his run for being solid, straightforward Batman stories. He's up there on my Batman writer Mount Rushmore for sure.
    A thing to note is that Dini's run goes :
    1. Batman: Detective - Detective Comics #821-826
    2. Batman: Death and the City - Detective Comics #827-834
    3. Batman: Private Casebook - Detective Comics #840-845
    4. Batman: Heart of Hush - Detective Comics #846-850
    5. Batman: Streets of Gotham, Vol. 1 – Hush Money - Batman: Streets of Gotham #1-4 + Detective Comics #852 + Batman #685
    6. Batman: Streets of Gotham, Vol. 2 – Leviathan - Batman: Streets of Gotham #5-11
    7. Batman: Streets of Gotham, Vol. 3 – The House of Hush - Batman: Streets of Gotham #12-14 & #16-21

So as you can see, he didn't write:
    • Detective Comics #835-836 - Absolute Terror - by John Rozum
    • Detective Comics #851 - Part of Batman: Last Rite - by Denis O'Neil
    • Streets of Gotham #15 - Two-Face part 2 - by Ivan Brandon

Also not in these collections
    • Detective Comics #837 - Countdown tie-in - by Paul Dini
    • Detective Comics #838, 839 - part 3 and 7 of 7 from The Resurection of Ra's Al Ghul

To note also, he didn't write - not in the upcoming omnibus:
    • Batman: Streets of Gotham #5-6
    • Batman: Streets of Gotham #8-9
    • Detective Comics #825
    • Detective Comics #829-830
    • Detective Comics #832
    • Detective Comics #835-836
    • Detective Comics #842

Paul Dini also wrote:
    • The Not So Silent Night of the Harley Quinn - Batman vol.3 Annual #1
    • ??? - Batman: Black & White vol.3 #3
    • ??? - Batman: Gotham Knights #14
    • Good King Wenceslas - DCU Holiday Special #1
    • The Legend of Knute Brody - Detective Comics #1000
    • The Batman: Adventures (co-writter but not mentionned) #1-36 - not in the upcoming omnibus
    • The Batman Adventures: Mad Love - not in the upcoming omnibus
    • Batman: Arkham City (comic book) - not in the upcoming omnibus
    • Batman: Adventures continue #1-3 - not in the upcoming omnibus
    • Gotham City Sirens #1-2, 4-7, 9-11 - not in the upcoming omnibus
    • Harley & Ivy Meet Betty & Veronica - not in the upcoming omnibus
    Last edited by jb681131; 08-25-2020 at 02:28 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

That's the title! I like that one but I only remember it as Joker takes Tim on a joy ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post

You are correct, i just reread the run first time since publication and SofG was very weak

It was great. Solid one -in-done stories. Strong character work. At the same time there were connective threads that ran from Detective Comics to Streets of Gotham.

Dustin Nguyen and Don Kramer were a good match for him as artists. Simone Bianachi's covers for this era were also underrated.