Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Lightbulb What do (should) all the Marvel scientists specialize in?

One trope that's become really annoying is the "Omnidisciplinary Scientist". Because they're "smart", they're well-versed in pretty much everything. Comics have never been accused of being realistic, and there really are people who seemingly specialize in everything, but it's still pretty jarring. Marvel's a bit better with this now, but it's still bad.

If each genius or scientist in Marvel had one (or two) fields that they specialized in, what would they be?

Reed Richards: Astrophysics

Tony Stark: Robotics

Hank Pym: Particle physics

Hank McCoy: Genetics

Peter Parker: Materials science

T'Challa: Anthropology

Feel free to add anyone else.
    Last edited by PCN24454; 08-19-2020 at 07:06 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    One trope that's become really annoying is the "Omnidisciplinary Scientist". Because they're "smart" they're well-versed in pretty much everything. Comics have never been accused of being realistic, and there really are people who seemingly specialize in everything, but it's still pretty jarring. Marvel's a bit better with this now, but it's still bad.
    Agreed.

If each genius or scientist in Marvel had one (or two) fields that they specialized in, what would they be?
    Reed Richards -- Physics in all its forms. He's the Einstein-Heisenberg-Feynman of the Marvel Universe.

Tony Stark -- Engineering.

Hank Pym -- Quantum Physics and Nanotechnology. Both are related to the technology of his Ant communicator and Ultron.

Peter Parker -- Chemical Engineering, i.e. designing chemical polymers and synthetic fabrics. I'd also add biology.

Hank McCoy: Genetics.
    Good call. I'd also add in Professor Xavier, Moira MacTaggert, Mister Sinister and Magneto there.

T'Challa: Anthropology
    That's a social science where you stand back and watch people without interfering. That's not T'Challa's thing at all. I'd say T'Challa is an Engineer like Tony Stark.

In the Marvel Universe since magic is such a big deal...Doctor Stephen Strange would qualify as one of the best scientists and smartest persons in that Universe. Doctor Doom would run a second to him, just as he runs a second to Reed in physics, though he's evenly matched with Tony and T'Challa as an engineer.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    That's a social science where you stand back and watch people without interfering. That's not T'Challa's thing at all. I'd say T'Challa is an Engineer like Tony Stark.
    Social sciences deserve respect too. I felt that T'Challa's interest in other cultures and position as Ruler of Wakanda would make it a good fit for him. Its broad nature also lets it crossover into Shadow Physics. Otherwise, I'd give him Geochemistry with a focus in Vibranium.

I think Mockingbird is a biologist by specialty and Nadia/Wasp 2 is the same as her father.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Social sciences deserve respect too.
    They do, but they don't usually lend itself well to action genre storytelling for the most part. Stuff like Psychology, Anthropology, Philosophy, Humanities, History don't always work as day jobs for derring do. I think Diana in the DCEU works as a museum curator and art restorer and that's as close as it gets.

But most Marvel heroes don't really have jobs or take jobs that go in that field...that's why it's all super-science or super-spies or super-cops, with the exception of Daredevil (a lawyer).

Astonishing Member

Off the Marvel wiki this is what they have for Maximus "he retains an excellent theoretical and practical knowledge of mechanics, physics, biology. He is particularly gifted at fashioning elaborate machines out of common, simple materials."

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Wouldn't Hank Pym also be an entomologist, since he was studying ants to communicate with them and the technology he developed was in that vein? That said, I agree with Peter Parker as a biochemical engineer, with a sideline in mechanical and electrical engineering if you take the web-shooters and spider-tracers into consideration. T'Challa as a geophysicist with a focus on vibranium works, too.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I'm down for almost anything that stops Reed from pulling mcguffins out of his ass...

Let his field be physics with a little engineering. It would also help explain why he struggled to cure Ben all these years, it simply isn't his field of expertise.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Reed Richards -- Physics in all its forms. He's the Einstein-Heisenberg-Feynman of the Marvel Universe.

Tony Stark -- Engineering.

Hank Pym -- Quantum Physics and Nanotechnology. Both are related to the technology of his Ant communicator and Ultron.

Peter Parker -- Chemical Engineering, i.e. designing chemical polymers and synthetic fabrics. I'd also add biology.

I'd say T'Challa is an Engineer like Tony Stark.

In the Marvel Universe since magic is such a big deal...Doctor Stephen Strange would qualify as one of the best scientists and smartest persons in that Universe. Doctor Doom would run a second to him, just as he runs a second to Reed in physics, though he's evenly matched with Tony and T'Challa as an engineer.
    ^^^This is really good. Especially the take on Doc Strange.

As was mentioned, The Beast, Xavier, Moira...these guys would be leading the pack in genetics.
    And I agree w. Huntsman Spider in that Hank Pym is versed in entomology.

Bruce Banner’s a bit of a dabbler. I’ve read before he has degrees in biology, chemistry, engineering, physiology, and nuclear physics.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Wouldn't Hank Pym also be an entomologist, since he was studying ants to communicate with them and the technology he developed was in that vein?
    While it's easy to see him as an entomologist, his biggest claim to fame are the "Pym Particles". Insects to Particles feels like a really big leap to me. Of course, nanotechnology can fit in with either of them.

Adam Brashear - Physicist & Engineering
    "Without Sin, what Grace has Forgiveness."

Astonishing Member

Unhappy How did I forget about Bruce Banner?

Bruce Banner: Radiobiology, easily.

Leonard Samson: Psychiatry

Kitty Pryde: Information Technology

Dr. Leonard Samson - MD in Psychiatry

Dr. Karla Sofen (Moonstone) - MD in Psychiatry & Phd in Psychology

Dr. Ashley Kafka - Phd in Psychology

Dr. Johann Fennhoff (Dr Faustus) - Phd in Psychiatry
    Last edited by la.forsaken; 08-19-2020 at 10:53 PM.
    "Without Sin, what Grace has Forgiveness."

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by la.forsaken View Post
    Dr. Leonard Samson - MD in Psychiatry

Dr. Karla Sofen (Moonstone) - MD in Psychiatry & Phd in Pscyhology

Dr. Ashley Kafka - Phd in Psychology

Dr. Johann Fennhoff (Dr Faustus) - Phd in Psychiatry
    It's a shame with the exception of Kafka, all the known psychiatrists/psychologists in Marvel are either flat-out evil (Moonstone and Faustus) or have had an evil stint (Samson during Jeph Loeb's Hulk run). Then again, it does fit into superhero comics' longstanding history of demonizing mental illness.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    It's a shame with the exception of Kafka, all the known psychiatrists/psychologists in Marvel are either flat-out evil (Moonstone and Faustus) or have had an evil stint (Samson during Jeph Loeb's Hulk run). Then again, it does fit into superhero comics' longstanding history of demonizing mental illness.
    And Kafka's dead (unless they brought her back? I forget).