Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Reed Richards - Physicist and Engineering (All Form available)
    Tony Stark - Computer Science, Material Engineering and Robotics
    T'Challa - Physicist and Law
    Hank Pym - Physical Chemistry in Applied Engineering (Nanomaterial)
    Peter Parker - Biochemical Engineering
    Adam Brashear - Nuclear Engineering
    Leonard Samson - Psychology
    Henry McCoy - Material Engineering, Genetics, and Bioinformatics

I think that's all I have in my mind for now.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

It really is difficult to categorize many of Marvel's geniuses.

Speaking only of Adam Brashear, I feel his primary specialization should be one of these three: Quantum Mechanics, Quantum Physics or Particle Physics. However, as with other elite intellects, Engineering should be a close second. Good luck pinning him to one specific subdiscipline of engineering. His inventions cover the gamut, whether we're talking about his Kadesh base at the bottom of the sea, or the contraption that he made which gives him analogous Cosmic Awareness.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    One trope that's become really annoying is the "Omnidisciplinary Scientist". Because they're "smart", they're well-versed in pretty much everything. Comics have never been accused of being realistic, and there really are people who seemingly specialize in everything, but it's still pretty jarring. Marvel's a bit better with this now, but it's still bad.

If each genius or scientist in Marvel had one (or two) fields that they specialized in, what would they be?

Reed Richards: Astrophysics

Tony Stark: Robotics

Hank Pym: Particle physics

Hank McCoy: Genetics

Peter Parker: Materials science

T'Challa: Anthropology

Feel free to add anyone else.
    I feel that Doom should have the gold standard for robotics. His Wandabot may have fooled Hawkeye to a frightening degree of authenticy.

He probably is up there with Reed on astrophysics. But along with Nathaniel Richards (which was a later reveal by John Byrne) Doom is the master at time travel devices as we saw in his very first appearance in FF #5. There are some theories out there about time travel in the RW but I am not sure what area in would fall in..Special Relativity?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    It's a shame with the exception of Kafka, all the known psychiatrists/psychologists in Marvel are either flat-out evil (Moonstone and Faustus) or have had an evil stint (Samson during Jeph Loeb's Hulk run). Then again, it does fit into superhero comics' longstanding history of demonizing mental illness.
    Psychologist and Psychiatrist are always go to Villains in most stories. As the field is sometimes treated with mistrust, labeled as a pseudoscience. Because its more subjective than objective.

Faustus was flat-out evil. But Moonstone has had her share of heroics saving the world and saving the day.

fun fact when she was young Moonstone was a student of Doctor Faustus.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And Kafka's dead (unless they brought her back? I forget).
    Kafka is back in Ravencroft. Also Moonstones most recent appearance.
    "Without Sin, what Grace has Forgiveness."

If there was ever a field that blended Magic and Science. I think Doom would have represented that.
    "Without Sin, what Grace has Forgiveness."

Mighty Member

Wouldn't Hank Pym also be an entomologist, since he was studying ants to communicate with them and the technology he developed was in that vein?
    It can be added, but I'd never consider it his primary ambition. He has been portrayed as doing other things at the time too. Furthermore his intention wasn't to do it for the benefit of ants, or learning about ants, or improving the ecosystem. It was more about the tech and communication than the ants. Hank, like most of these scientist, is portrayed as someone who does science without a real motive. He just enjoys the discovery of it, and it is his only means of expressing his inventiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by la.forsaken View Post
    Adam Brashear - Physicist & Engineering
    Given his secret pseudoscientific misadventures I'd definitely add other things, but I just don't know the proper name for the specific niche. Maybe Occultology (this is a real word. You can literally just add ology to anything) or something in that vein where science and the occult meet because it is really one of the things that sets him apart from most other marvel scientists. I mean, yeah, you have Doom, but Doom is an actual magician so it isn't quite the same.

In trying to put a list together I find that having 2 tells a better story of who they are

Wiki hunting
    Reed -Reed earned Ph.D.s in Physics and Electrical Engineering
    Henry McCoy- having earned Ph.D.s in Biophysics and Genetics
    Dr Strange -M.D. in neurosurgery
    Adam Brashear- PhD in Theoretical Physics and a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from Cornell University
    Tony Stark- master's degrees in engineering and physics

non wiki hunting
    Dr Doom- Robotics, Time Travel
    Bruce Banner-Nuclear physic
    Hank Pym- Biochemist & Particle Physics
    Black Panther- Physics(and Shadow Physics) & Engineering
    Shuri-Engineering & Information Technology
    Riri Williams-Engineering & Robotics
    Amadeus Cho Nuclear physics & Particle Physics
    Moon Girl Engineering & Physics
    Alyssa Moy-????
    Faiza Hussain-Trama surgeon-(Biology???)
    Cecilia Reyes - Trauma surgeon( Biology???)
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-20-2020 at 04:14 AM.

Anthropology? what no T'Challa specialized in Biology and Physics. He's more of a renaissance man anyway. If you just want him to follow a more gounded successful world leader trope give him a law degree

Peter Parker is definitely biophysics and/or biochemistry

Xavier also has multiple degrees, but for the purpose of this thread people will probably pick Psychology.
    The J-man

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I feel that Doom should have the gold standard for robotics. His Wandabot may have fooled Hawkeye to a frightening degree of authenticy.

He probably is up there with Reed on astrophysics. But along with Nathaniel Richards (which was a later reveal by John Byrne) Doom is the master at time travel devices as we saw in his very first appearance in FF #5. There are some theories out there about time travel in the RW but I am not sure what area in would fall in..Special Relativity?
    I'd put Victor on par with Tony Stark as an engineer, and below Reed as a physicist, and below Strange as a sorcerer. Doom is probably better than Hank Pym on robotics though. Say what you want about Doom, but he's never had one of his robots go rogue and become a genocide machine (put all the people Doom has killed in one pile, and it wouldn't count a quarter next to the population of Slorenia which Ultron wiped out).

Were "time travel" a real thing, it would fall under physics, since it depends on violating E = mc2 for its existence. So yeah, it would fall under Relativity Physics.

It's a shame with the exception of Kafka, all the known psychiatrists/psychologists in Marvel are either flat-out evil (Moonstone and Faustus) or have had an evil stint (Samson during Jeph Loeb's Hulk run). Then again, it does fit into superhero comics' longstanding history of demonizing mental illness.
    Psychology and social sciences, which fall under and are coeval to the Humanities are strongly tied to realism, to flawed people with imperfect bodies, imperfect social structures and incomplete political and philosophical ideas to really work in the superhero and fantasy genre. The entire serial story depends on these characters being f--kups or f--ked-up for them to work to provide constant never ceasing conflict.

That's why they never get portrayed positively in these stories.

A clone of her returned in the Ravencroft series.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

T'Challa being an anthropologist is an interesting take, but I don't think he's ever been categorised that way. Aside from the fields that make him a scientific genius, he should definitely have something in political science and/or sociology, since he's a world leader as well.

Law doesn't really make much sense for him either since he's never operated as a lawman.

Extraordinary Member

Who does pharmaceuticals?

Ironically, they made Kafka a male villain in ASM 2.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

For a bit in The Clone Conspiracy, as one of the "reanimates" created by Ben Reilly in his guise as the new Jackal, then found and reprogrammed by JANUS, Norman Osborn's mysterious new government backers, to serve as their agent inside Ravencroft.

Quote Originally Posted by la.forsaken View Post
    Psychologist and Psychiatrist are always go to Villains in most stories. As the field is sometimes treated with mistrust, labeled as a pseudoscience. Because its more subjective than objective.

Faustus was flat-out evil. But Moonstone has had her share of heroics saving the world and saving the day.

fun fact when she was young Moonstone was a student of Doctor Faustus.

Kafka is back in Ravencroft. Also Moonstones most recent appearance.
    As of the last issue, turned out she was one of Ben Reilly's surviving "reanimates" from The Clone Conspiracy that got reprogrammed as a sort of Manchurian agent for Osborn's backers. As for Moonstone, point, although she's leaned more villainous as of late, and one could argue that even at her most heroic, she was still primarily motivated by self-serving ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I'd put Victor on par with Tony Stark as an engineer, and below Reed as a physicist, and below Strange as a sorcerer. Doom is probably better than Hank Pym on robotics though. Say what you want about Doom, but he's never had one of his robots go rogue and become a genocide machine (put all the people Doom has killed in one pile, and it wouldn't count a quarter next to the population of Slorenia which Ultron wiped out).

Were "time travel" a real thing, it would fall under physics, since it depends on violating E = mc2 for its existence. So yeah, it would fall under Relativity Physics.

Psychology and social sciences, which fall under and are coeval to the Humanities are strongly tied to realism, to flawed people with imperfect bodies, imperfect social structures and incomplete political and philosophical ideas to really work in the superhero and fantasy genre. The entire serial story depends on these characters being f--kups or f--ked-up for them to work to provide constant never ceasing conflict.

That's why they never get portrayed positively in these stories.

A clone of her returned in the Ravencroft series.
    Yeah, basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Ironically, they made Kafka a male villain in ASM 2.
    And a year after she was killed off in Superior Spider-Man. That was just messed up.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    Given his secret pseudoscientific misadventures I'd definitely add other things, but I just don't know the proper name for the specific niche. Maybe Occultology (this is a real word. You can literally just add ology to anything) or something in that vein where science and the occult meet because it is really one of the things that sets him apart from most other marvel scientists. I mean, yeah, you have Doom, but Doom is an actual magician so it isn't quite the same.
    Are you sure you mean Adam Brashear, the Blue Marvel? He doesn't deal in the occult at all. He, in fact, doesn't believe in magic (even though magic has been used against him on occasion).

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Reed Richards: Advanced Theoretical/Mathematical Physics & and its applications (same with Doom!)

Tony Stark: Advanced Engineering with emphasis on Robotics

Bruce Banner: Advanced Theoretical Nuclear Physics with emphasis on Gamma Rays ad applications.

Hank Pym: Advanced Biochemistry/Biophysics

Henry McCoy: Advanced Genetics/Genetic Engineering

Adam Brasheer: Theoretical Particles Physics with emphasis on anti-matter/anti-particles.

Black Panther: Advanced Physics and applications in technology.