Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Who does pharmaceuticals?
    Thor when he's Donald Blake
    "Cable was right!"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by la.forsaken View Post
    Psychologist and Psychiatrist are always go to Villains in most stories. As the field is sometimes treated with mistrust, labeled as a pseudoscience. Because its more subjective than objective.

Faustus was flat-out evil. But Moonstone has had her share of heroics saving the world and saving the day.

fun fact when she was young Moonstone was a student of Doctor Faustus.

Kafka is back in Ravencroft. Also Moonstones most recent appearance.
    Anti-comics bogeyman Dr. Wertham might also ha e something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    It can be added, but I'd never consider it his primary ambition. He has been portrayed as doing other things at the time too. Furthermore his intention wasn't to do it for the benefit of ants, or learning about ants, or improving the ecosystem. It was more about the tech and communication than the ants. Hank, like most of these scientist, is portrayed as someone who does science without a real motive. He just enjoys the discovery of it, and it is his only means of expressing his inventiveness.

Given his secret pseudoscientific misadventures I'd definitely add other things, but I just don't know the proper name for the specific niche. Maybe Occultology (this is a real word. You can literally just add ology to anything) or something in that vein where science and the occult meet because it is really one of the things that sets him apart from most other marvel scientists. I mean, yeah, you have Doom, but Doom is an actual magician so it isn't quite the same.
    Doom holds three doctorates in Doomology from the University of Doom.

Hank Pym was a Biochemist back in his Tales to Astonish days.
    Wanna make somethin' of it?

Fantastic Member

Toni Ho: Engineering

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Are you sure you mean Adam Brashear, the Blue Marvel? He doesn't deal in the occult at all. He, in fact, doesn't believe in magic (even though magic has been used against him on occasion).
    I do indeed. This was all presented in Mighty Avengers. Not only is the reocurring threat occult related, but they reveal his secret history with the occult in the issue where he teams up with Blade and, IIRC, Luke Cage's dad back in the day. I don't remember how many issues that arc was. Magic, however, is not the same as the occult. The word occult involves a lot more stuff than that. That's why I said he's different from Doom.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    I do indeed. This was all presented in Mighty Avengers. Not only is the reocurring threat occult related, but they reveal his secret history with the occult in the issue where he teams up with Blade and, IIRC, Luke Cage's dad back in the day. I don't remember how many issues that arc was. Magic, however, is not the same as the occult. The word occult involves a lot more stuff than that. That's why I said he's different from Doom.
    Ah, you mean the battle the team had with the Deathwalkers/Elementals? Not lost on me is also the fact that Adam knew who/what Shuma Gorath was and called the creature by name without prompting.

But do supernatural encounters, especially the one-off confrontational variety, equate to the same level of expertise that we'd expect from a PhD in the field? I'm not so sure about that. By that definition it would also make Peter Parker an expert on the occult. Ditto with Matt Murdock. It's worth noting in that Mighty Avengers story Molina didn't ask for Adam's aid on the case because Adam had any specific knowledge of the occult per se. She'd worked with Adam on other superhero-type affairs, so he was someone that she thought to call on a flyer. Adam had no clue. Blade and Kaluu were further along in the investigation, but it was actually "The Bear" who was the expert.

Whether we're talking magic or the occult, Adam likely sees it as a distinction without a difference. He doesn't believe in them, not even as fields of inquiry in furtherance of his own understanding of matter, energy and the universe. Could that change later? Maybe. But I think he's just a Man of Marvels who has seen some things. Like a Watcher has seen some things.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 08-20-2020 at 10:38 PM.

Reading through the thread really shows Marvel's (in fact, DC as well) have short-changed women. All because of institutionalized misogyny that was rampant during the start of the atomic age, let only white men to be super-scientists. Women could only be the supportive wife/girlfriend. It wasn't until Black Panther that a black man was seen as smart as the top intellects like Richards, Stark, Banner, Xavier and Pym. Thankfully there was Moira MacTaggert, but when Marvel needed a geneticist that specialized in mutation more often than not, Marvel would use Hank or Xavier, because they were the "heroes" while she was just a supporting character.
    Even when women like Bobbi who started off as a scientist was created, she hardly ever showed those skills once she became Mockingbird. I can't even remember her doing any super-science stuff in West Coast Avengers, especially with Pym around.

The few female super-scientist Marvel did create never took off, like Monica Rappaccini (MANDOK will always be thought of as the Leader of AIM before her), Maya Hansen (what has she done lately), Doctor Minerva (she could never stand up to villains like Doom, Doc Ock, the Leader, Magneto, the Mad Tinkerer or any of the 60s evil geniuses)

And that's the main problem, the super smart women mainly weren't super heroes or remediable super villains.

Thankfully Marvel now have Valeria Richards, Moon-Girl, Ironheart, and Nadia van Dyne as the next generation of super-scientists (I'm not a fan of Marvel's re-imaging Shuri as her MCU counterpart [making her a younger tech genius] over Coates' griot spiritual powers that set her apart from T'Challa).

Astonishing Member

I'm also not a fan of the trend of Marvel giving "housewives" the same job as their husbands. In many adaptations, Betty Ross is often made a scientist in the same field as Bruce. In Spectacular Spider-Man, Curt Connors wife was also made a scientist.

It felt like it reinforced the idea that they were defined by their male relationships rather than subvert them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    Reading through the thread really shows Marvel's (in fact, DC as well) have short-changed women. All because of institutionalized misogyny that was rampant during the start of the atomic age, let only white men to be super-scientists. Women could only be the supportive wife/girlfriend. It wasn't until Black Panther that a black man was seen as smart as the top intellects like Richards, Stark, Banner, Xavier and Pym. Thankfully there was Moira MacTaggert, but when Marvel needed a geneticist that specialized in mutation more often than not, Marvel would use Hank or Xavier, because they were the "heroes" while she was just a supporting character.
    Even when women like Bobbi who started off as a scientist was created, she hardly ever showed those skills once she became Mockingbird. I can't even remember her doing any super-science stuff in West Coast Avengers, especially with Pym around.
    Agree with this.

Moira X has been given a major shot in the arm (among other things) in Hickman's X-Men run, she's basically the main character of House of X and Powers of X, and she's now elevated as a third figure to rival Xavier and Magneto.

T'Challa was certainly a major step up, the most progressive character created by Kirby-Lee in the classic Marvel era.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Tilda Johnson aka Nightshade and more recently Nighthawk (didn't read the Secret Empire stuff where she took on that mantle) should be mentioned.

Her specialties are given as genetics, cybergenics and physics

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I'd put Victor on par with Tony Stark as an engineer, and below Reed as a physicist, and below Strange as a sorcerer. Doom is probably better than Hank Pym on robotics though. Say what you want about Doom, but he's never had one of his robots go rogue and become a genocide machine (put all the people Doom has killed in one pile, and it wouldn't count a quarter next to the population of Slorenia which Ultron wiped out).

Were "time travel" a real thing, it would fall under physics, since it depends on violating E = mc2 for its existence. So yeah, it would fall under Relativity Physics.
    Doom is pretty good about securing his robotic creations. Many of the Doombots are cannon fodder (say what you will, not many Latverians get killed in the line of service) and don't have as sophisticated programming as those that can act as a sort of surrogate for Doom. But in his presence, they will revert back to their subservient programming. Odd to say but Doom does have some attachment to some of his Doombots, like the one he keeps in a dungeon in Books of Doom. He's too dangerous to let loose but Doom hasn't destroyed him either. There was also an interesting story about a Doombot in the Gwenpool series. He was going to be Doom's most advanced version but there was an attack on Doom's lab and the nearly complete Doombot escaped. He's like Pinocchio in a way in that when he escaped Doom's lab he was taken in by a kindly old man who gave him a suit of clothes. He worked in the shop with the old man and became the protector of his neighborhood.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-21-2020 at 10:27 AM.

Amazing Member

In my opinion...

Reed Richards- He's hard to pin down to just a few things but I think Astrophysics/Cosmology, astronautical engineering, applied mathematics,and theoretical physics are the things that stand out to me.

Tony Stark- Tony is the "universal builder" so this too is hard, so I say mechanical and electric engineering.

Bruce Banner: Nuclear (or theoretical now days I think) Physics and nuclear engineering.

Hank Pym- With him I'd say biophysics, and robotics

Henry McCoy- Beast is often slept on when it comes to super science, but I'd his two would be genetics and biophysics.

Amadeus Cho- I think its pretty clear is specialty is mathematics. Both pure and applied. .

Black Panther- T'challa is my favorite superhero of all time so I been putting a lot of thought into this. I believe his specialties are theoretical physics and applied mathematics. He obviously has an interest in theoretical physics since he has a phd in it, but I think would applied mathematics because it would explain all his other skills(economics, computer science, engineering international relations, strategy). T'challa (in the 616 anyway...) is known for his ability to stay multiple steps ahead of his adversaries. I think an interest/specialty would explain that.

Hank and Reed.jpg

I think Reed sums it up nicely when it comes to on specialties with the super-scientist in the MU
    Last edited by Old Owl; 08-24-2020 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Forgot to narrow it down to one or two areas.

Doctor Strange in medical science.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Doctor Strange in medical science.
    But he's not practicing anymore.

Besides, he was a neurosurgeon. He didn't know everything there was to know about medicine.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    But he's not practicing anymore.
    Actually he is. His current title is Doctor Strange Surgeon Supreme...