Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Default Let the Eternals synergy begin: Eternals #1 coming this November

I hate it when there is synergy between movies and comics.

All-New Member

Gillen and Ribic that's pretty awesome if you ask me! And it seems Makkari is trans yay!!

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

You act like Eternals synergy is a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    You act like Eternals synergy is a bad thing.
    Of course changes to align with an inferior version are bad thing.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ameri View Post
    Gillen and Ribic that's pretty awesome if you ask me! And it seems Makkari is trans yay!!
    That’s a great creative team. I probably would have passed on this book but with those guys involved....

Without the synergy there would be no Eternals book, they'd still be in limbo.
    Sometimes the synergy with the films are good when it comes to the less popular characters like the Eternals and previously the Guardians of the Galaxy.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

So, first of all: KIERON GILLEN IS BACK ON A MARVEL UNIVERSE TITLE!!!!! I'm so happy about this. I was so sure they were gonna give this to Jason Aaron, but I'm glad Gillen got the gig. Really interested to see what he does with the franchise. Esad Ribić on art is also very promising.

So is Makkari really a black woman now? I'm..... not sure how to feel about this. The first thought is obviously SYNERGY and I'm not crazy about it. But then looking at the trailer, it LOOKS like Sprite is back and he's still a boy, unlike the movies. So I don't know. I'm gonna wait to see what the deal is with this.

Quote Originally Posted by ameri View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure about this. Last time we saw Makkari, he was dead. It's possible this is some body swapping/reincarnation sort of thing. Also, being trans doesn't explain how the character's race was suddenly changed. Your skin color doesn't change when you go through gender transition, so there is more to this story. I just hope it's well done and explained, or it can get very messy. Like another Psylocke situation, which I think Marvel shouldn't be stupid enough to do it again.

Guys they replaced one of their first female heroes of silver age, of course they are going to synergize with mcu about eternals too.

Don't presume to think the comicbook division cares for diversity at all. Movie division happened to care for it while writing Eternals but if the movie was just a cast of straight white men then the cast of this comicbook would have been as well.
    Last edited by Captain M; 08-19-2020 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Without the synergy there would be no Eternals book, they'd still be in limbo.
    Sometimes the synergy with the films are good when it comes to the less popular characters like the Eternals and previously the Guardians of the Galaxy.
    Synergy ruined Guardians for years. And they kept solid sales before the book was Bendis-ed. So no. In this case, launching book due to synergy? Great. Making things more like movies? Bad. But Marvel Editorial will Marvel Editorial. Can't wait what convoluted explanation will be given to characters that are changed supposedly to be more accessible for MCU viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure about this. Last time we saw Makkari, he was dead.
    That doesn't stick with Eternals (which trailers even reference).

Astonishing Member

I though it was Titanis not Makkari ?

I guess I can't think of a writer more suited to revamping the Eternals in time for the movie than Gillen.

Sersi in purple looks weird.

Fantastic Member

If you want me buying floppies again Marvel the Kieron Gillen is not the answer, his uncanny x-men and Iron man runs were so dull. Get Dan Abnett (what's he doing now after DC kicked him off Aquaman), he's done great stuff in the marvel cosmic world before.

Quote Originally Posted by Sataniel View Post
    Synergy ruined Guardians for years. And they kept solid sales before the book was Bendis-ed. So no. In this case, launching book due to synergy? Great. Making things more like movies? Bad. But Marvel Editorial will Marvel Editorial. Can't wait what convoluted explanation will be given to characters that are changed supposedly to be more accessible for MCU viewers.

That doesn't stick with Eternals (which trailers even reference).
    Gonna be harsh here, but the Guardians were nobody's before the film and film synergy. They were niche even among comic fans. It's sad for fans who liked and were familiar with the team prior seeing them change, but the fact is the change made them more popular than they ever were. They went from forgettable nobody's to instantly recognizable. It's the sad truth of it all, they less popular the character/team the more likely they are to be changed and the more likely they will be more popular for it.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

I'm ready to stan Gillen's Marvel work again