Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What's this character's name? I'm not very familiar with the Eternals.
    Thena, thanos' cousin

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    I love the fact that Thena is head to toe in armour apart from her ****!

Eternals Sersi cover variant Todd Nauck

The Mad Titan has returned.

In the aftermath of an Eternal's death, Ikaris go up against Thanos in the heart of a city twisted by time. This epic battle will be explored in ETERNALS #2 and will reveal the monumental role Thanos will play in this bold new vision of Jack Kirby’s classic Marvel creation.

On a similar note, what do you think is the Eternals' place or role in the wider Marvel Universe pantheon of heroes?

Talking from the creative side, if there’s been a sticking problem with the Eternals is actually nailing down what that exact role is. They’ve served a lot of purposes, in various places. They’ve excelled at being support actors, and some of their best riffs have been used elsewhere – in fact, promoted so that they tend to be thought about as the Marvel Universe’s rather than specifically the Eternals’. The best case in point is the Celestials themselves. At least part of what I’m trying to do is to tie all these strands together, into a coherent, epic history of the Eternal’s own. When you’ve finished the first issue, you’ll know what the Eternals are for, and why they’re not really like anything else. From that point on, I’m just adding more to it – details, angles, worlds to lose and find yourself in.

I’ll say this – the problem in part comes from that the Eternals weren’t originally in the Marvel Universe. They’re inspired by Chariots of the Gods 1970s thought – as in, gods are aliens and us humans mistook them for them. When they were transplanted in, this doesn’t quite work in the same way. If Athena actually exists, Thena obviously feels like something else than in a world where Athena doesn’t exist. A lot of creators have tried to square this equation. I believe I’ve got an approach, and it’s based on something that is 100% clear in original Kirby issues, but never stated. The Eternals are not gods. They’re something created by Space Gods for a purpose – Eternal, unchanging beings who exist to look after humanity.

Eternals are the Marvel Universe’s angels, in all their warring Paradise Lost excess.

Equally, to give it a different tone, in the spirit of the quasi-scientific inspiration of the Eternals, I’m definitely trying to use a lot of history in the Eternals rather than riffing on mythology. I think that’s going to give Eternals their own tone. Sersi namedrops like Tahani from The Good Place. I’ve just written a short sequence with Druig and Kingo during in the Mongol invasion of Europe, for example.

This is my own answer to the above “What about Athena?” problem. For all the grandeur of their own science-mythology and their culture, I’m treating them in a way which we simply don’t do with the Marvel Gods.

However, if we’re talking from inside the Marvel Universe? They’re the professionals. They’re the oldest hand on the block. They’ve been protecting the planet since before humans had prehensile thumbs. Imagine the Eternals, watching the Avengers of 1,000,000 BC turning up, while tapping their watch and going “Hey, what kept you?”

The solicitation suggests that change is going to be a theme of the book. Can you expand at all about what that theme means to you and what it means to these characters?

This is one of the first things I have in my bible. “Eternal” doesn’t mean immortal. “Eternal” means unchanging. That’s a different thing.

[Neil] Gaiman and [John] Romita Jr. very much brought this aspect out, and we’re pushing it even further. There can be something comforting about the Eternals, but there’s also something fundamentally disturbing to it. The old superhero cliché of “The Never-ending battle against crime” is one of those lines which, if you take it out of context for a second and think about it, seems absolutely Sisyphean in its hopelessness. Yet, to lift a line from Camus, we must imagine Sisyphus happy – the Eternals have been doing this for so long, they must be accepting of it? Right?

Clearly not. The irony of the book, as we show the epic history of the Eternals, this hasn’t been true. The Eternals have been having arguments about what it means to be “unchanging” forever. They must remain, and their cellular programming demand they remain and continue… but it causes all manner of tensions.

This ties in with the present situation in the Marvel Universe, where they’ve just had a huge shock with the reveals of Jason Aaron’s first arc of Avengers, which (er) they took badly. Their purpose is over. Yet they still continue… and it’s increasingly hard to imagine Sisyphus happy.

How important is it to know about the Eternals' past to understand this story

Absolutely not. I’m presenting it as a clean entry into a whole wonderful mythology. Those who know it will hopefully be charmed when they see all the aspects have been integrated, tweaked, and re-imagined, but it’s designed to be accessible.

If you want to read some Eternals, the original Kirby run, the Gaiman/Romita Jr mini and Jason’s most recent Avengers work would be what I’d read, but that’s all extra credit stuff. You don’t need to know it. What you need to know, I’ll introduce.

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/ma...len-interview/
    I think Gilgameshes run on Avengers symbolises their problem fairly well.

They are not allowed to be the characters they meant to be in comparassion to other marvel heroes. Neither are they treated by other heroes as the living gods they are.
    Marvel also has a problem with the word gods. Thor has fluctuated in importance and power over the years. Also the concept of what a god is muddled with different pantheos, super humans, cosmic beings. We pretty much have all so far dreamt up interpretations of what a god is, all stuffed into the same universe. What we don't have is an exploration of what a god could be.

The eternals usually works better when kept to their own isolated corner in self contained stories. Or involved in celestial shenanigans. They don't have though. In general they need to be treated as something different. Something that shifts the tone of a story and affects it. They also need to be treated as the powerful individuals they are and not be downplayed to make the story work.<

Let them be strange to the heroes. Have different morals, technology. Not somethign Iron Man can simply adept too. Something that he doesn't get exposed enough to to understand how it works.

I have a soft spot for Makkari since his part in Quasars comic. That said I don't really have any problem with any changes to the character since not enough beyond him/she/it's powers are defined. Nothing says the character has to be white, male and redhead. For some characters change can work and be good. Why not for Makkari.

Eternals Sersi cover variant Todd Nauck
    Stunning as ever .

BANNED

Didn't they all die off panel in Aaron's Avengers ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Didn't they all die off panel in Aaron's Avengers ?
    As long as the Uni Mind and Celestial are still exist, they will always return to point one. Hence, the tagline Unchanging.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by scouse mouse View Post
    I love the fact that Thena is head to toe in armour apart from her ****!
    That's sci-fi + Heavy Metal influences there. Doesn't make sense, but awesome.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I need to see preview pages of my beloved Sersi already!!!

ETERNALS #3

KIERON GILLEN (W), ESAD RIBIĆ (A/C)

VARIANT BY GEOFF SHAW

Head Shot Variant Cover by TODD NAUCK

Journey to the heart of the DEVIANT CITY!

* Come berserk Lemuria, home of the Deviants, city of a 12 million species.

* An Eternal has been murdered by one of their own.

* And Sersi's number one suspect is...Thena?!

* Plus, why is Ikaris so interested in the fate of a human boy?

I'm down to see detective Sersi .