Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I tried to read different runs of Eternals, but fell asleep all the time. (Not really, but you know, I was bored to hell) I think I will give them one last chance, because I want to see what Marvel has in store for them before the movie hits.

Extraordinary Member

I curious, because Zuras seems to play a role in this book, but isn’t hinted to be in the upcoming movie yet.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Surprised this is coming out before the movie. Is it not a self-contained story?
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Kingo's (assuming that is in fact Kingo) design reminds me of the Persians in Zack Snyder's 300

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Surprised this is coming out before the movie. Is it not a self-contained story?
    It’s so the first trade will be out by the time of the film release.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    The sersi in that trailer looks east asian i think,and does not look like past sersi from the comics.
    That is another change in the comics.
    I guess I can kind of see it but she looks ethnically ambiguous enough to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Kingo's (assuming that is in fact Kingo) design reminds me of the Persians in Zack Snyder's 300
    THAT’S what it is! It reminded me too, but I couldn’t place it; it was bugging the hell out of me!

Amazing Member

I get the movie synergy and all. I really do, but like some people mentioned here I’m super disappointed with the radical changes. Also I’m a big fan of Makkari so this hurts a lot.

I’m mostly curious how they plan on explaining the shift in race and gender tho. I also suspect that the Eternals will be nerfed like their MCU counterparts will be. Having them at full power would be too expensive for them to do (especially with this being the first movie) and we all know that Feige is not gonna let the comics outshine him.

I hope I’m wrong tho.

I’m comforted by the idea that in a parallel universe, Hickman is writing them with the original cast lol.
    Last edited by Old Owl; 08-20-2020 at 09:28 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

If I knew any other Eternal besides Ikaris and Sersi, I would've been mad.
    "Cable was right!"

two new cover

Spectacular Member

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with synergy. A new Marvel comic being release to match with the timing of a movie I have no issue with that, if anything it would be the comics that would benefit the most out of this synergy.

However, its when Marvel Comics tries to copy the stories from the movies that's when you get a more mixed response from me. Things like changing Iron Man and Star Lord's personalities to match their movie counterparts are okay be me because I strongly prefer their movie counterparts, and having some characters match their appearances from the movies I also think is mostly harmless. However, there are also a lot of bad changes that Marvel often times really force onto the readers that I really despised. I hated the whole thing with the Inhumans, and I hated that Marvel were purposely diminishing their X-Men line because they didn't have the movie rights. I hated the cancellation of the Fantastic Four line, I really did not like how Guardians of the Galaxy essentially became their movie counterparts, and I absolutely, with a passion of a thousand suns, hate that they retcon Scarlet Witch's and Quicksilvers parents (again). It was also one thing to have the comics change, yet it was frustrating to see other Marvel media follow suit. No X-Men or FF in Marvel vs Capcom was ridiculous.

So more often or not, Marvel making their comics more like the movies has been not good to say the least.

With that said, the creative team for the new Eternal comic is top tier, a much higher profile creatives I expected Marvel to put on the book. I was never a fan of the Eternals in the first place so any changes they make wont effect me as much as, let's say, when Marvel made Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver not be Magneto's kids anymore. The only real major change fans have notices is the complete overhaul of Makkari, which, yeah sucks because it is obviously done for the synergy. But at least most of the other Eternals look the same, with Ikaris thankfully still having his majestic, golden locks, and not Rob Stark's facial features. I think Jason Aaron killed the Eternals off initially so that Marvel can have option to revive them to match their movie versions at later point, as at the time they probably didn't know who was going to be cast, so they weren't aware if Marvel studios planned to have some major differences.

Ultimately, the comic isn't out yet, so we can't really judge it yet. Maybe Kieron Gillen has something brilliant involving Makkari, which would completely justify the change to match the synergy. Until then, we just have to wait and see.

Forty. Variant. Covers.

C'mon Marvel, if you are going to make FORTY VARIANT COVERS you could at least try a little harder. Toss some hologram and foil covers into the mix, maybe have a few bagged ones that come with a trading card. I guess 2020 is the year when people give up on the lie that today's comic industry is somehow better than the one we had in the 90s.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Synergy or no synergy, Ribic is going to produce some gorgeous comics.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

My knowledge of the Eternals is fleeting. Someone mentioned "Sersi in purple is different", I couldn't have told you she didn't purple.

I'm ready for it, lay it on me Marvel.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime