Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

It's the price for Sony agreeing to integrate Spidey on screen with the other Marvel characters, they gotta have him hanging out with somebody every time to get their money's worth. I like to contrast the MCU Spider-Man with the Ultimate comics Peter. MCU Spidey is super polite to Nick Fury hijacking his vacation and deflating his secret identity in front of others, but Ultimate Peter would yell at Nick Fury all the time and punched him in the face once he was so sick of him being involved in his life. I wish MCU Spidey showed some backbone, instead he's this golly gee kid most of the time.

Big problem I have with these movies is there's no real emotional heft to them at all, like you have a chance to do some real interesting stuff on screen with May finding out his identity at the end of Homecoming but the most they do with it is a joke to leave people on. I voiced my concerns online before Far From Home came out that it felt like they were gonna miss the boat on exploring what that meant (cause it was gonna be taking place after Endgame lol) and people assured me they'd do something with it and lo and behold they joked a little about it and their relationship was pretty much just business as usual. It was an opportunity to take some cues from the conversation issues from JMS' run. Kevin Feige said he wanted to bring May finding out the identity to the big screen for years, but it's like he just wanted to do it just to do it rather than explore any of it in a challenging way for viewers. It's gotta be fun popcorn fun and you can't lose sight of that, no sir!

The Spider-Verse animated movie made me feel more than either MCU Spidey's!
    Last edited by Spidey_62; 10-08-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I do think it's a bit absurd that they keep doing crossovers. I kinda understood the need for them early on when there was a need to associate the new Spidey with the MCU, but it is just so tiring at this point. I say that as someone who loves Cumberbatch in anything.

There may be truth to the idea that Holland's Spider-Man can't carry a film by himself. Maybe when you strip MCU Spidey of all the novelties, there just isn't much there.
    The only reason why they keep doing team ups is cause of the deal with Sony. Sony requires that at least one Mcu character is involved in their movies base on their contract
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    LOL, I've been against MCU Spidey since I first heard about it in 2015 for the very reason some have complained about in this thread. Glad to see people finally not gushing over these movies like they were when they were released. I never go the hype.
    There was literally nothing in 2015 to suggest MCU Spider-Man would turn out the way it did. There was no reason for me or anyone else to assume the worst.

This Spider-Man's team-ups are overkill even by MCU standards.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    As much as I like Holland as Spider-Man, I don't think he adds much newness to the role. Charisma? Maybe. Youthful vibe? Okay. Science/tech/team-ups? Sure. But yeah; he should've gotten a film all to himself to really show why he is a worthy Spider-Man for the big screen. And this is coming from someone who actually loves the MCU movies, so I'm no hater.
    I like a lot of Holland's acting in Homecoming. Particularly the rubble scene and all the stuff with Liz. My first impression watching it was that he was just as good as Garfield but even more age-appropriate for the role.

Outside of that and the iconic scene at the end of Infinity War, I haven't been impressed with him since.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    The only reason why they keep doing team ups is cause of the deal with Sony. Sony requires that at least one Mcu character is involved in their movies base on their contract
    You are right. Still, if anything it shows that all the talk about how Marvel has full creative control wasn't as true as we thought. I'm assuming that by "full creative control", they were talking about the script. But there is more to "creative control" than just control of the script. A lot of story and character elements get mandated or decided on prior to even writing a script.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 10-08-2020 at 02:34 PM.

There was literally nothing in 2015 to suggest MCU Spider-Man would turn out the way it did. There was no reason for me or anyone else to assume the worst.
    True plus this isn't the last version of a live action Spiderman they will be milking out live action spiderman til we die. So whatever the next live action actor who replaces Peter or if they finally move onto Miles it's just going to lead to another cycle of love and hate

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

True plus this isn't the last version of a live action Spiderman they will be milking out live action spiderman til we die. So whatever the next live action actor who replaces Peter or if they finally move onto Miles it's just going to lead to another cycle of love and hate
    It depends. The MCU will likely go on for a while in James Bond style, so this may literally be the "last version" for a while. That is what makes this version so irksome for a lot of fans. (That and the credibility that comes with just being associated with the MCU - other "bad" versions of Spidey don't have that going for it.)
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 10-08-2020 at 02:41 PM.

It depends. The MCU will likely go on for a while in James Bond style, so this may literally be the "last version" for a while. That is what makes this version so irksome for a lot of fans. (That and the credibility that comes with just being associated with the MCU - other "bad" versions of Spidey don't have that going for it.)
    I guess so but there are other versions to choose from now. he isn’t the true spiderman like how Tobey or Andrew isn’t the tru definitive Spiderman it’s all up to a person interpretation at this point.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ange-exclusive

For those who actually like the Mcu (I swear it’s gets smaller each day). Rejoice Looks like Spiderman will team up with the Good Doctor seems like the multiverse angle is a major focus of this phase
    I know people are jumping at the Multiverse but I assume Peter goes to Strange for help fixing his secret identity problem.

People assumed Tony and Fury were going to be more involved in the films than they actually were so I'm not expecting a significant involvement from Strange in this movie. The "mentor" rule could be summed up by some life advice Strange gives Peter, as a peer and not an adult to a young hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know people are jumping at the Multiverse but I assume Peter goes to Strange for help fixing his secret identity problem.

People assumed Tony and Fury were going to be more involved in the films than they actually were so I'm not expecting a significant involvement from Strange in this movie. The "mentor" rule could be summed up by some life advice Strange gives Peter, as a peer and not an adult to a young hero.
    That’s true people are automatically assuming the worst when we have no idea on what’s going on or what’s even the plot of the film

My first thought was One Moment in Time haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    It's the price for Sony agreeing to integrate Spidey on screen with the other Marvel characters, they gotta have him hanging out with somebody every time to get their money's worth. I like to contrast the MCU Spider-Man with the Ultimate comics Peter. MCU Spidey is super polite to Nick Fury hijacking his vacation and deflating his secret identity in front of others, but Ultimate Peter would yell at Nick Fury all the time and punched him in the face once he was so sick of him being involved in his life. I wish MCU Spidey showed some backbone, instead he's this golly gee kid most of the time.

Big problem I have with these movies is there's no real emotional heft to them at all, like you have a chance to do some real interesting stuff on screen with May finding out his identity at the end of Homecoming but the most they do with it is a joke to leave people on. I voiced my concerns online before Far From Home came out that it felt like they were gonna miss the boat on exploring what that meant (cause it was gonna be taking place after Endgame lol) and people assured me they'd do something with it and lo and behold they joked a little about it and their relationship was pretty much just business as usual. It was an opportunity to take some cues from the conversation issues from JMS' run. Kevin Feige said he wanted to bring May finding out the identity to the big screen for years, but it's like he just wanted to do it just to do it rather than explore any of it in a challenging way for viewers. It's gotta be fun popcorn fun and you can't lose sight of that, no sir!

The Spider-Verse animated movie made me feel more than either MCU Spidey's!
    I miss Spider-Man the spitfire. It sometimes feels like Holland is too polite and awkward to even quip, at least when he's not overconfident.

we'll see how this goes. I hope that Feige's crew gets to have more influence than Avi Arad.

we don't need the results of Amazing 2 on our hands. not a good look.

Astonishing Member

That’s true people are automatically assuming the worst when we have no idea on what’s going on or what’s even the plot of the film
    We are five films in at this point. I think it's fair for some to no longer give this version the benefit of the doubt. It doesn't mean people aren't open to things turning out different, just that five films is a pattern and that can't be brushed off as simply fans being pessimists.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 10-08-2020 at 03:11 PM.

We are five films in at this point. I think it's fair for some to no longer give this version the benefit of the doubt. It doesn't mean people aren't open to things turning out different, just that five films is a pattern and that can't be brushed off as simply fans being pessimists.
    Ok that’s fair I didn’t consider the team ups as much. But I was thinking that people were just being pessimistic just cause well from my experience people here generally look for the negatives than the positives. Well I’m not going to try and bother to chance their minds or validate their opinions at this point. Wow this will be his 6th appearance as Spiderman at the very least That’s impressive

I miss Spider-Man the spitfire. It sometimes feels like Holland is too polite and awkward to even quip, at least when he's not overconfident.
    That's because his charactherization leans more to the adokarble trope, wich is not necessarely a bad thing and Peter is not strange to that kind of humor in canon, but he lacks an edge sadly. I guest that is easier to go for that kind of humor than fun quips (you have to give credit to the people in PS4 and Spec Spidey for landing most of the jokes there).
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona