Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    BANNED

So this news came up today and hasn't gotten any discussion:

https://www.ign.com/articles/netflix...ider-man-films

Netflix and Sony Pictures have struck a deal that will keep upcoming Spider-Man films and other selections from Sony Pictures on Netflix after they finish in theaters, the Wall Street Journal reports.

The reportedly multi-year contract will start with Sony's 2022 film slate. Netflix will have first-look rights to movies Sony is producing or licensing for streaming platforms. The number of films Netflix has committed to ordering is currently undisclosed. Notably, the deal doesn't stop Sony from selling streaming rights to other platforms.

Sources speaking to Variety also said that the deal will amount to a record-setting sum for a pay-one window agreement. The deal is reportedly set to last five years and the New York Times reports that Netflix will pay about $1 billion to Sony over four years. Sony can make a pay-one window agreement such as this in part because it doesn't have its own streaming platform like Disney+ or HBO Max.

So what has Netflix definitely earned for its money? WSJ reports that future Spider-Man movies will land on Netflix following their theatrical runs (it's unclear if Tom Holland's Spider-Man: No Way Home is included in the deal), along with other Marvel characters Sony still holds the rights to, like Jared Leto's Morbius and Tom Hardy's Venom. Netflix will also license certain older Sony Pictures films.

Films from studios under Sony's umbrella will also be included, such as the Jumanji franchise. Those studios include Columbia Pictures, Sony Pictures Classics, Screen Gems, and TriStar Pictures.

Sony executives are also reportedly working on an additional theatrical film licensing agreement beyond the Netflix deal, Variety reports.

Sony has previously partnered with Starz for its theatrical streaming agreements since 2006. Starz is currently owned by Lionsgate, who also lost out on Rian Johnson's Knives Out sequel to Netflix for the tune of $450 million.

The Netflix deal only covers the United States. Historically, pay-one window agreements allow for films to hit streaming platforms about nine months after a theatrical run.

Netflix and Sony's relationship has strengthened in recent years, with the studios agreeing on streaming rights for Sony's animated films, including Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Sony's announcement certainly hopes to assuage any fears that it's looking at letting go of theatrical releases in a world complicated by COVID-19. Sony says the deal will be "additive" to its theatrical schedule, "which will continue at its current volume."
    My reactions on reading this deal announcement is
    -- The two things Disney hates the most -- Sony and Netflix -- teaming up against it.
    -- The balls on Sony, lol.
    -- This is the bit in wrestling where your tag-team partner hits you in the back of your head with a steel-chair.

And my big takeaway is that the next Spider-Man movie will be the last we see of Spider-Man in the MCU as long as Sony Pictures continues as a company and that Sony have effectively burned their bridges with Disney:

The only reason we got a third Spider-Man movie is because Disney played nice, but now after the launch and success of Disney Plus with Disney's streaming emporium in full flux there's no way that they'll tolerate any Marvel property dealings with its biggest competitor, Netflix, especially after so recently getting its character rights unmoored from Netflix's shows.

Disney never really seemed interested on hosting the Spider-Man movies anyway. They're not the company who is gonna pay renewable rights just to host 3 movies in their already vast streaming catalogue.

Spider-Man movies have never been on Disney+, so really nothing changed.

The ending of their deal is inevitable, but this news hardly will have anything to do with it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    Disney never really seemed interested on hosting the Spider-Man movies anyway. They're not the company who is gonna pay renewable rights just to host 3 movies in their already vast streaming catalogue.

Spider-Man movies have never been on Disney+, so really nothing changed.

The ending of their deal is inevitable, but this news hardly will have anything to do with it.
    Disney Plus does feature the Fox X-Men movies, so I am sure they don't have any objections to Pre-MCU or Non-MCU movies.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    So this news came up today and hasn't gotten any discussion:

https://www.ign.com/articles/netflix...ider-man-films

My reactions on reading this deal announcement is
    -- The two things Disney hates the most -- Sony and Netflix -- teaming up against it.
    -- The balls on Sony, lol.
    -- This is the bit in wrestling where your tag-team partner hits you in the back of your head with a steel-chair.

And my big takeaway is that the next Spider-Man movie will be the last we see of Spider-Man in the MCU as long as Sony Pictures continues as a company and that Sony have effectively burned their bridges with Disney:

The only reason we got a third Spider-Man movie is because Disney played nice, but now after the launch and success of Disney Plus with Disney's streaming emporium in full flux there's no way that they'll tolerate any Marvel property dealings with its biggest competitor, Netflix, especially after so recently getting its character rights unmoored from Netflix's shows.
    A point of disagreement. There is a company Disney hates more then Netflix
    and Sony. Warner ( which is why Disney has not put their first run films on HBO in decades. Another factor is Warner owns DC ( nuff said). As for the deal, I actually shocked by it. Why? I expected Sony to end up on HBO Max because of the rumors that Universal will put their films on Peacock. Unless Universal decides to go with HBO Max It seems like HBO Max will be limited to Warner Bros ( although they have a 10 year contract to distribute the MGM Library and I suspect one day they will outright buy it ( giving them James Bond).

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Disney Plus does feature the Fox X-Men movies, so I am sure they don't have any objections to Pre-MCU or Non-MCU movies.
    Because Disney fully owns those movies after the Fox buyout.

They're not interested on paying another company to have a handful of movies in their already successful streaming service.

Astonishing Member

Because Disney fully owns those movies after the Fox buyout.

They're not interested on paying another company to have a handful of movies in their already successful streaming service.
    You are exactly right. Besides getting the rights back to FF and X-Men the reason why Disney bought Fox was their film library ( which is one thing they lacked). I could see Disney refusing to cooperate on any further Spider-Man films and trying to force Sony to sell the characters back to Disney.

Looks like MCU Spider-Man is done and No Way Home (and maybe a cameo in something else, IIRC) is the end of the road, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Looks like MCU Spider-Man is done and No Way Home (and maybe a cameo in something else, IIRC) is the end of the road, doesn't it?
    Frankly, I'm surprised it lasted this much.

Between contracts running out, the actors looking to pursue other projects and growing old, and Disney probably not wanting another debacle after the las time, it does seem NWH will be the last of them actually set in the MCU.

Maybe Holland might appear in other 1-2 MCU movies, but I think after NWH they're gonna soft-reboot the franchise to separate it from the MCU.

Astonishing Member

Frankly, I'm surprised it lasted this much.
    Between contracts running out, the actors looking to pursue other projects and growing old, and Disney probably not wanting another debacle after the las time, it does seem NWH will be the last of them actually set in the MCU.

Maybe Holland might appear in other 1-2 MCU movies, but I think after NWH they're gonna soft-reboot the franchise to separate it from the MCU.
    I do not think Disney would go to this extreme, but there is a possibility that Amazing and other Spider books gets the Fantastic Four treatment and gets canceled. I know Disney would take a short term hit ( especially when it comes to merchandise) but if they reach a conclusion that Sony will make Spider character films for decades, maybe they take the short term hit to force them to sell the characters back.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I do not think Disney would go to this extreme, but there is a possibility that Amazing and other Spider books gets the Fantastic Four treatment and gets canceled. I know Disney would take a short term hit ( especially when it comes to merchandise) but if they reach a conclusion that Sony will make Spider character films for decades, maybe they take the short term hit to force them to sell the characters back.
    That will not happen.

(For one thing, Marvel has the merchandising rights.)

I guess we'll probably be getting that Spider-Man/Venom crossover soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I don't think this will dramatically effect the comics.

Holland and the rest are probably out after NWH.

Holland and the rest are probably out after NWH.
    I don't see them rebooting Spider-Man for a fourth time. At the very least I can see them trying to keep Holland unless he wants out already.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't see them rebooting Spider-Man for a fourth time. At the very least I can see them trying to keep Holland unless he wants out already.
    They may not have a choice. Holland's Spider-Man is too engrained into the MCU (and Iron Man in particular).

As long as they don't do the origin again, it should be fine.

They may not have a choice. Holland's Spider-Man is too engrained into the MCU (and Iron Man in particular).

As long as they don't do the origin again, it should be fine.
    I guess we'll see with NWH but I feel like they could probably pivot to whatever Sony stuff they want to push.

I just don't think anyone is interested in yet another live-action Spider-Man.