Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Superior Spider Man 4 Preview

Some textless previews from a new interview with Dan Slott today.
    https://www.cbr.com/superior-spider-...ott-interview/
    Last edited by hoshinocomet; 02-06-2024 at 10:03 PM.

I wish they'd come up with a better design than what's basically Ultimate Electro with boobs.

Text previews up: https://monkeysfightingrobots.co/mar...-spider-man-4/
    Pete really can't catch a break, can he?
    Last edited by hoshinocomet; 02-08-2024 at 07:00 PM.

Well, at least I feel like Peter might actually win this one if only because it would feel repetitive otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, at least I feel like Peter might actually win this one if only because it would feel repetitive otherwise.
    Still wondering what the cover image means of Uncle Ben beating up Superior. Could the old Ock still be in the mindscape somewhere?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by hoshinocomet View Post
    Still wondering what the cover image means of Uncle Ben beating up Superior. Could the old Ock still be in the mindscape somewhere?
    I wonder if Otto will morph himself into looking like Uncle Ben to really jar Peter?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by t-spider View Post
    I wonder if Otto will morph himself into looking like Uncle Ben to really jar Peter?
    I am wondering if Ben is Peter's protector beating up Otto who so desperately needs to get a beat down so bad. Also wondering is Spidey used his friendship with the X-Men to learn some defensive psionic techniques. Either way, I am here for it. The story has been solid so far and Mark Bagley's artwork has been consistently solid.

Octavious does not have the moral center of a Peter. Never has. I don't care what abuse/bullying he suffered through as a child/teen/young adult. He still became a narcissist.
    Turning Octavious into a "hero" like some wrestling heel face-turn was a ghastly mistake. Constantly revisiting it for some warped misguided sympathy for Octavious is also a mistake. So sick of clones, body-swaps, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Octavious does not have the moral center of a Peter. Never has. I don't care what abuse/bullying he suffered through as a child/teen/young adult. He still became a narcissist.
    Turning Octavious into a "hero" like some wrestling heel face-turn was a ghastly mistake. Constantly revisiting it for some warped misguided sympathy for Octavious is also a mistake. So sick of clones, body-swaps, etc.
    I feel you but this is all Marvel has left for 616 Peter because they won't let him progress. They need constant gimmicks and retreads of famous stories to keep things "interesting". The "anyone can be Spider-Man" concept including the Spider-Verse interrations has very much watered down the character of 616 Peter, IMHO. It is the if everyone can be a superhero no one is a superhero catch-22.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-08-2024 at 09:36 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I'm betting Otto doesn't want to mindswap, he's just trying to bring out the older "him" still in Peter's mind so "they" can perform better as the Superior Spider-Man. Then once the mission is complete, Otto absorbs his older mental copy or who knows, downloads it into a new clone body.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Man With No Name View Post
    I'm betting Otto doesn't want to mindswap, he's just trying to bring out the older "him" still in Peter's mind so "they" can perform better as the Superior Spider-Man. Then once the mission is complete, Otto absorbs his older mental copy or who knows, downloads it into a new clone body.
    No doubt, because I seriously do not think Marvel will bring back Spock full-time (even for a few months) if it means giving up Classic Doc Ock.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

That Otto had 'good' in him has been present in his characterization for a long time. Let's not pretend its an innovation of modern authors or Sam Raimi, as seems implied here.

Also, Octavius not having the moral center of Peter is part of what makes all this so much fun.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    That Otto had 'good' in him has been present in his characterization for a long time. Let's not pretend its an innovation of modern authors or Sam Raimi, as seems implied here.

Also, Octavius not having the moral center of Peter is part of what makes all this so much fun.
    Technically, it started in the 1990s with that issue revealing or delving into his backstory, revealing that aside from his brutally abusive father, his mother emotionally blackmailed him as an adult into breaking off his engagement with a woman and fellow scientist he deeply loved, Mary-Alice Anders, out of fear Otto would abandon her, and when Otto found out his mother had a lover of her own that she never saw fit to tell him about, he called her out on her hypocrisy and she died of a heart attack from the ensuing argument, the shock and guilt of which made Otto unable to focus on his experiment, partially leading to the accident that fused his tentacles to his body and nervous system and transformed him into Doctor Octopus. We find out a lot of this in the then-present day when it turns out in that same issue that Otto has been trying desperately to save Mary-Alice's life after she contracted AIDS from a tainted blood transfusion following a car accident, only to fail, much to his grief . . . and then 20 years later, in Superior Spider-Man Team-Up's final issues dovetailing with the end of the main Superior Spider-Man series, we find out Norman was responsible for Mary-Alice contracting and then dying of AIDS, as he saw Otto's lingering attachment to her as a weakness he had to shed if he was going to be the best (or worst) villain he could be.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post

I view it more as "nobility" than straight up good. At least for comic Otto.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Technically, it started in the 1990s with that issue revealing or delving into his backstory, revealing that aside from his brutally abusive father, his mother emotionally blackmailed him as an adult into breaking off his engagement with a woman and fellow scientist he deeply loved, Mary-Alice Anders, out of fear Otto would abandon her, and when Otto found out his mother had a lover of her own that she never saw fit to tell him about, he called her out on her hypocrisy and she died of a heart attack from the ensuing argument, the shock and guilt of which made Otto unable to focus on his experiment, partially leading to the accident that fused his tentacles to his body and nervous system and transformed him into Doctor Octopus. We find out a lot of this in the then-present day when it turns out in that same issue that Otto has been trying desperately to save Mary-Alice's life after she contracted AIDS from a tainted blood transfusion following a car accident, only to fail, much to his grief . . . and then 20 years later, in Superior Spider-Man Team-Up's final issues dovetailing with the end of the main Superior Spider-Man series, we find out Norman was responsible for Mary-Alice contracting and then dying of AIDS, as he saw Otto's lingering attachment to her as a weakness he had to shed if he was going to be the best (or worst) villain he could be.
    It was there before Mary Alice, though, going all the way back to when Reed recruited Otto to help him with the Sue's pregnancy. Heck, you can argue it goes all the way back to how he treated Aunt May. Point is: this has been a strain of characterization for him for *decades*, and to act like exploring it is some affront against comics-dom is goofy, comics grognard !@#$.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 02-09-2024 at 08:28 PM.