Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I didn't say that they needed to fall in love right away. I'm actually amused by the fact that Peter didn't like her for the longest time. (Yeah, he thought she was attractive, but it took a long time for him to actually like her.)

Aunt May not setting them up is a significant change. Because first impressions are absolutely important. It was that first impression that made MJ the fan favorite over the actual intended love interest of the franchise. And it's one of the most iconic moments in Spider-Man history. The fact that it hasn't been put on film yet is extremely disappointing.
    But what exactly is the whole first impression? That he thinks she's attractive? That's about 90% of love interests. I'd rather see Peter pick someone himself than have his aunt do it, and not just because "she's pretty"

That doesn't mean I like how the MCU Peter-MJ romance started. I don't get why they didn't like each other in Homecoming. But that doesn't mean I need either of them to declare their undying love for the other anytime soon

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    But what exactly is the whole first impression? That he thinks she's attractive? That's about 90% of love interests. I'd rather see Peter pick someone himself than have his aunt do it, and not just because "she's pretty"

That doesn't mean I like how the MCU Peter-MJ romance started. I don't get why they didn't like each other in Homecoming. But that doesn't mean I need either of them to declare their undying love for the other anytime soon
    Why wouldn't you want Aunt May to set Peter up? That's an amazing set-up, and so very different from what we see in so many other stories.

Ultimate Member

Why wouldn't you want Aunt May to set Peter up? That's an amazing set-up, and so very different from what we see in so many other stories.
    Because I'd rather see Peter find his own girlfriend. And not just based on looks

Because I'd rather see Peter find his own girlfriend. And not just based on looks
    What exactly do you think of Aunt May?

Ultimate Member

That she's his aunt and looks out for him.

That she's his aunt and looks out for him.
    And she thought the niece of her best friend would be the perfect person to set up with her nephew.

BANNED

The relationship as presented by the movies is very shallow.

They joked about Peter and MJ getting married in the Ultimate Spider-Man comics on numerous occasions. (Which was supposed to be a huge influence on these films.)
    The relationship presented by the movies is two teens with a mutual attraction to each other who only just began to actually date.
    Comparing it to the comics where all the circumstances and context is completely different simply makes no sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    When it comes to MCU MJ...the problem wasn't just that Peter's crush on her came out of nowhere, it's that combined with the fact in how they didn't really get along in Homecoming, with MJ being antagonizing and telling Peter he sucks anytime she was in a 5 mile radius. It's not the best "defrosting the ice queen" story as we don't even get a scene where she's pleasant to Peter. The problem is that the contrast is so extreme, I have a better time believing the Ned/Betty "romance".
    That's an over exaggeration of her actions in Homecoming, she was just at worst a sarcastic loner, and is never actively malicious nor does Peter ever take anything she says or does personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    The relationship presented by the movies is two teens with a mutual attraction to each other who only just began to actually date.
    Comparing it to the comics where all the circumstances and context is completely different simply makes no sense.
    She said she was called "MJ" (and was only ever called that after she said it), which requires at least a rudimentary knowledge of Spider-Man to understand the significance of. They expected their audience to understand what this meant.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 06-02-2021 at 06:28 AM.

Ultimate Member

And she thought the niece of her best friend would be the perfect person to set up with her nephew.
    That's nice. But Idk why that means it has to be that way in all versions.

She said she was called "MJ" (and was only ever called that after she said it), which requires at least a rudimentary knowledge of Spider-Man to understand the significance of. They expected their audience to understand what this meant.
    So what exactly should happen?

That's nice. But Idk why that means it has to be that way in all versions.
    They already don't do it in all versions, but it's still the best set-up. None of the versions where they have handled them differently have ever topped their original set-up.

So what exactly should happen?
    I don't work for Marvel or Sony.

Ultimate Member

They already don't do it in all versions, but it's still the best set-up. None of the versions where they have handled them differently have ever topped their original set-up.
    I don't really agree. I'd prefer to see what Peter actually wants in a romantic relationship, not what May assumes he does.

I don't work for Marvel or Sony.
    Ok, I just though maybe you an idea. It's fine either way.

I don't really agree. I'd prefer to see what Peter actually wants in a romantic relationship, not what May assumes he does.
    That's so... conventional. And Spider-Man should never be conventional.

As a girlfriend for Peter? Too old and not a good enough dancer.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    As a girlfriend for Peter? Too old and not a good enough dancer.
    But Peter loves her more than anyone else.

Ultimate Member

That's so... conventional. And Spider-Man should never be conventional.
    Isn't he one of the more conventional superheroes though? His universe has a lot of the regular tropes