Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Spider-Man has said nothing of his origins beyond vague things that people take to mean more than it actually does. The way the MCU presents his origins make them seem insignificant.

What other changes the MCU characters are irrelevant to this. This is a Spider-Man discussion. It is about Spider-Man and his world. Or what's supposed to be his world, what with the large shadow Iron Man casts over these films. They took their biggest character and made him into a sidekick to one of their lower tier characters (and next to Spider-Man, anyone that isn't Batman or Superman is inarguably a lower tier character).

So I say again: What if they made a Batman movie where he was subservient to Green Lantern? Where even his very villains were motivated by their hatred of Green Lantern?
    You keep bringing up a point I already addressed. I don't think Spider-Man should work under any other hero. That doesn't mean he's not recognizable as Peter Parker. That's why I was comparing him to other heroes in the MCU. We've seen his origins in other movies. We don't need to see it spelled out for us again, or for him to constantly bring it up. And who cares about tiers? Why knock down other heroes? Why should Spider-Man be above all the other heroes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    You keep bringing up a point I already addressed. I don't think Spider-Man should work under any other hero. That doesn't mean he's not recognizable as Peter Parker. That's why I was comparing him to other heroes in the MCU. We've seen his origins in other movies. We don't need to see it spelled out for us again, or for him to constantly bring it up. And who cares about tiers? Why knock down other heroes? Why should Spider-Man be above all the other heroes?
    They reduced Spider-Man to Iron Man's sidekick. No other character has been reduced to that, no matter what other changes they made. This goes against Spider-Man's very creation, where he was his own hero, and didn't play second fiddle to a (relatively speaking) second stringer.

So again I ask: What if they made a Batman movie where he was subservient to Green Lantern? Where even his very villains were motivated by their hatred of Green Lantern?
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 06-04-2021 at 05:43 PM.

Ultimate Member

They reduced Spider-Man to Iron Man's sidekick. No other character has been reduced to that, no matter what other changes they made. This goes against Spider-Man's very creation, where he was his own hero, and didn't play second fiddle to a (relatively speaking) second stringer.

So again I ask: What if they made a Batman movie where he was subservient to Green Lantern? Where even his very villains were motivated by their hatred of Green Lantern?
    Again I've already addressed that. But here's a definitive answer for you: no, I don't think it would be good. But I don't think Spider-Man has been entirely reduced to iron man's sidekick. But you seem to think this is the worst change to any MCU hero, when it's not. And why does it mattwr whether Iron man isn't as popular as Spider-Man historically?

Again I've already addressed that. But here's a definitive answer for you: no, I don't think it would be good. But I don't think Spider-Man has been entirely reduced to iron man's sidekick. But you seem to think this is the worst change to any MCU hero, when it's not. And why does it mattwr whether Iron man isn't as popular as Spider-Man historically?
    Taking a character that was created specifically not to be a teen sidekick, and making him a teen sidekick, goes against everything that Spider-Man was created to be. Stan Lee famously hated teen sidekicks and wanted to create a character who could stand on his own without a mentor figure. He was nobody's Robin.

The MCU made him Iron Man's Robin.

Ultimate Member

Taking a character that was created specifically not to be a teen sidekick, and making him a teen sidekick, goes against everything that Spider-Man was created to be. Stan Lee famously hated teen sidekicks and wanted to create a character who could stand on his own without a mentor figure. He was nobody's Robin.

The MCU made him Iron Man's Robin.
    I know the history. MCU Spider-Man is not like Robin. All the Robins were taken in by Batman and worked directly with him for years. This Spider-Man doesn't really do that. Of course, he could be way more independent. Frankly, I didn't really want him to be a teen in the MCU in the first place. But calling him Robin isn't accurate.

I know the history. MCU Spider-Man is not like Robin. All the Robins were taken in by Batman and worked directly with him for years. This Spider-Man doesn't really do that. Of course, he could be way more independent. Frankly, I didn't really want him to be a teen in the MCU in the first place. But calling him Robin isn't accurate.
    He's really more Tim Drake than Dick Grayson.

Ultimate Member

He's really more Tim Drake than Dick Grayson.
    Um, how so?

Um, how so?
    Tim was basically "what if the world's biggest Batman fanboy became Robin?"

Ultimate Member

Tim was basically "what if the world's biggest Batman fanboy became Robin?"
    And that's not really what MCU Peter Parker is

And that's not really what MCU Peter Parker is
    "I just wanted to be like you."

Ultimate Member

"I just wanted to be like you."
    Meaning "be a superhero", I presume. Did Peter at any point wear an iron suit with repulsors and start flying?

BANNED

I truly don't get how people find it shocking that a teen like Peter would want to be like Tony Stark, and frankly in any case I feel like Peter would've just as easily said that to any other Avenger, he's been growing up watching these people save the world for nearly his entire life, of course he'd look up to them.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    I truly don't get how people find it shocking that a teen like Peter would want to be like Tony Stark, and frankly in any case I feel like Peter would've just as easily said that to any other Avenger, he's been growing up watching these people save the world for nearly his entire life, of course he'd look up to them.
    Yeah, it's not unreasonable at all. An already established Peter living on his own would be less likely to be that way. Although even Scott Lang fanboyed over Steve. I do wish MCU Peter interacted with Steve a bit more

Meaning "be a superhero", I presume. Did Peter at any point wear an iron suit with repulsors and start flying?
    Your putting to much of what you think Spider-Man is based on things outside of the MCU, and not what the MCU has shown us their version of Spider-Man is.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    Peter Parker is not a super hero fanboy. Dude busted into the Baxter Building and beat the team up to demonstrate why they should hire him in the very first issue of Amazing Spider-Man. When they said they were non-profit, he left.

Lots of characters fulfill that role of super hero fan who later becomes a super hero (Kamala Khan, for instance). But that is not who Peter Parker is.