Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I said they're bad Spider-Man films, because they don't prioritize Spider-Man and his world. Iron Man should not be such an overwhelming presence in multiple Spider-Man movies.

This is a Spider-Man forum. So trying to make the argument that Spider-Man should share the spotlight with other heroes isn't a very compelling argument when the best Spider-Man movie of the last decade was Into the Spider-Verse, which didn't feature anyone but Spider-characters. (The closest non-Spider-character is Kingpin, and even he debuted in a Spider-Man comic, and has been the villain of quite a few Spidey stories.)

Spider-Man can absolutely survive without the MCU. And the day they finally separate is the day we might get good live-action Spider-Man films again. And a good movie means more than a mediocre cinematic universe.
    I'd rather have a good cinematic universe tbh. I don't want Marvel to just focus on one hero. I like diversity and seeing heroes work together. So what if this a Spider-Man forum.

And when has he shared the spotlight wth other heroes in his own movies? He did all the action himself. He actually took the spotlight from Captain America in Civil War to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I'd rather have a good cinematic universe tbh. I don't want Marvel to just focus on one hero. I like diversity and seeing heroes work together. So what if this a Spider-Man forum.

And when has he shared the spotlight wth other heroes in his own movies? He did all the action himself. He actually took the spotlight from Captain America in Civil War to some extent.
    Into the Spider-Verse was a better movie than Civil War.

Ultimate Member

Into the Spider-Verse was a better movie than Civil War.
    Ok. Idk how that factors into this.

Ok. Idk how that factors into this.
    I'd rather have a better stand-alone Spider-Man film than a cohesive cinematic universe just so Spider-Man can stand next to the Avengers or the Fantastic Four.

Ultimate Member

I'd rather have a better stand-alone Spider-Man film than a cohesive cinematic universe just so Spider-Man can stand next to the Avengers or the Fantastic Four.
    I'd rather have a good Spider-Man movie in a cohesive cinematic universe with the Avengers.

and I rather just have Spider-Man existing in any movie regardless of his role
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

I'd rather a good movie with Spider-Man than a bad movie. So far are there have been just three good movies with Spider-Man (Raimi's 1 and 2, ITSV). If those three movies existed and nothing else, things would be much better.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I'd rather a good movie with Spider-Man than a bad movie. So far are there have been just three good movies with Spider-Man (Raimi's 1 and 2, ITSV). If those three movies existed and nothing else, things would be much better.
    You think the MCU Spider-Man movies are bad movies?

BANNED

You think the MCU Spider-Man movies are bad movies?
    I don't know why pearls aren't clutched for the fact that I also included Spider-Man 3 and the Garfield movies (which have fans and defenders) in the reject pile.

People have this bizarre sense of wanting the MCU Spider-Man to be some definitive portrayal of character without actually dealing with what we have as films.

Ultimate Member

I don't know why pearls aren't clutched for the fact that I also included Spider-Man 3 and the Garfield movies (which have fans and defenders) in the reject pile.

People have this bizarre sense of wanting the MCU Spider-Man to be some definitive portrayal of character without actually dealing with what we have as films.
    When did I say that, or do any of that? I don't get the bizarre attitude that Spider-Man is the only hero who shouldn't get changed up for the movies. I don't absolutely love MCU Spider-Man, but I don't believe his movies are bad movies.

BANNED

When did I say that, or do any of that?
    I referred to people in general, not you specifically.

I don't get the bizarre attitude that Spider-Man is the only hero who shouldn't get changed up for the movies.
    It's not about changes.

Raimi's Spider-Man 1 and 2, as well as ITSV also made changes when adapting the characters and story. They are still good movies.

You're not a good movie simply because you changed stuff, you're not a bad movie simply because you changed stuff.

I don't absolutely love MCU Spider-Man, but I don't believe his movies are bad movies.
    There are tiers of bad movies. If I were to break it down, I'd say MCU Spider-Man is mediocre. I wouldn't say it's the worst MCU movie, or the worst movie ever or so on. I also wouldn't say that a bad movie can't have one or two elements that are worth watching or entertaining in its own right.

Still, at the end of the day, in my opinion, the MCU Spider-Man, along with Spider-Man 3, and the Garfield movies, qualify as bad movies.

Ultimate Member

Ok, no problem

It's not about changes.

Raimi's Spider-Man 1 and 2, as well as ITSV also made changes when adapting the characters and story. They are still good movies.

You're not a good movie simply because you changed stuff, you're not a bad movie simply because you changed stuff.
    True, but I don't think all the changes to the MCU Spider-Man were bad either.

There are tiers of bad movies. If I were to break it down, I'd say MCU Spider-Man is mediocre. I wouldn't say it's the worst MCU movie, or the worst movie ever or so on. I also wouldn't say that a bad movie can't have one or two elements that are worth watching or entertaining in its own right.

Still, at the end of the day, in my opinion, the MCU Spider-Man, along with Spider-Man 3, and the Garfield movies, qualify as bad movies.
    I guess I disagree. IMO MCU Spider-Man movies are much better than the Garfield ones or SM3

BANNED

Peter Parker is not a super hero fanboy. Dude busted into the Baxter Building and beat the team up to demonstrate why they should hire him in the very first issue of Amazing Spider-Man. When they said they were non-profit, he left.

Lots of characters fulfill that role of super hero fan who later becomes a super hero (Kamala Khan, for instance). But that is not who Peter Parker is.
    Except in the Ultimate Comics Peter very clearly was a fan of superheroes, he did that before Kamala even existed.
    And I'm not sure how you can compare the circumstances as of they're the same in comics ignoring the retcons and sliding timelime of course Spider-Man was one of the first heroes around, so he had a lot of seniority compared to other heroes at the time, which is not the case here, since again he's lived nearly his whole life watching superheroes save the world, of course he'd be fan of them.

It's not about changes.

You're talking good and bad, but frankly that's clearly not the case.
    What you're talking about is what you like and what you don't like, casting off everything you don't like as bad and worthless, let's be honest here that is exactly what's happening.
    Last edited by Metro; 06-05-2021 at 09:43 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    Except in the Ultimate Comics Peter very clearly was a fan of superheroes, he did that before Kamala even existed.
    Ultimate Spider-Man was published in 2000 before The Ultimates, before Ultimate X-Men, before Ultimate Fantastic Four.

He was the first title in Ultimate Marvel. He became an active superhero who fought villains well before he met and interacted with other Ultimate superheroes.

You're talking good and bad, but frankly that's clearly not the case.

What you're talking about is what you like and what you don't like, ...
    The more important question is "why you like and why you don't like", but anyway...that would be a too long discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    And I'm not sure how you can compare the circumstances as of they're the same in comics ignoring the retcons and sliding timelime of course Spider-Man was one of the first heroes around, so he had a lot of seniority compared to other heroes at the time, which is not the case here, since again he's lived nearly his whole life watching superheroes save the world, of course he'd be fan of them.
    "Super hero fan who becomes super hero" is not a new concept. This was Wally West before he became Kid Flash. This was Tim Drake before he became Robin. (As for Barry Allen, he thought Jay Garrick was just a comic book character when he got his powers and named himself after his favorite comic book character. He's a nerd. It's quite different from Wally and Tim, who became sidekicks to characters they knew existed.) This is classically used as a personality trait of sidekicks and legacy characters.

Ultimate Peter Parker's core personality trait wasn't being a fan of super heroes who then got super powers, and yet this is the core to the MCU incarnation. Multiple Spider-Man films revolve around the character's relationship to Iron Man.

Edit: I'd also like to add that the Ultimate comics were obviously used as the basis for Peter's obsession with his biological dad in the Amazing Spider-Man films, and those were terrible movies.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 06-05-2021 at 12:32 PM.