Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Ultimate Spider-Man was published in 2000 before The Ultimates, before Ultimate X-Men, before Ultimate Fantastic Four.

He was the first title in Ultimate Marvel. He became an active superhero who fought villains well before he met and interacted with other Ultimate superheroes.

The more important question is "why you like and why you don't like", but anyway...that would be a too long discussion.
    What do you mean, "isn't it though?"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Ultimate Spider-Man was published in 2000 before The Ultimates, before Ultimate X-Men, before Ultimate Fantastic Four.

He was the first title in Ultimate Marvel. He became an active superhero who fought villains well before he met and interacted with other Ultimate superheroes.

The more important question is "why you like and why you don't like", but anyway...that would be a too long discussion.
    To be quite frank it doesn't matter to me why you like or don't like something, that doesn't change what you're doing, that when you saying "bad" and "good" all you're really saying is "what I don't like" and "what I do like".
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    "Super hero fan who becomes super hero" is not a new concept. This was Wally West before he became Kid Flash. This was Tim Drake before he became Robin. (As for Barry Allen, he thought Jay Garrick was just a comic book character when he got his powers and named himself after his favorite comic book character. He's a nerd. It's quite different from Wally and Tim, who became sidekicks to characters they knew existed.) This is classically used as a personality trait of sidekicks and legacy characters.

Ultimate Peter Parker's core personality trait wasn't being a fan of super heroes who then got super powers, and yet this is the core to the MCU incarnation. Multiple Spider-Man films revolve around the character's relationship to Iron Man.

Edit: I'd also like to add that the Ultimate comics were obviously used as the basis for Peter's obsession with his biological dad in the Amazing Spider-Man films, and those were terrible movies.
    Except Peter's core isn't the fact he's a fan of superheroes, in every movie he's been in his motivation and drive have little to do with the fact he's a fan of them.
    And I don't really see how you're gonna bring up the ASM movies as reason not to use influence from the Ultimate comics.
    Spiderverse used a ton of stuff from the Ultimate comics and people shill that to high heaven.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, while MCU Peter does go overboard with the hero worship, his motivation is the same as other versions: fighting criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    Except Peter's core isn't the fact he's a fan of superheroes, in every movie he's been in his motivation and drive have little to do with the fact he's a fan of them.
    And I don't really see how you're gonna bring up the ASM movies as reason not to use influence from the Ultimate comics.
    Spiderverse used a ton of stuff from the Ultimate comics and people shill that to high heaven.
    Peter outright stated he wanted to be just like Tony Stark when speaking directly to him, and his motivation for lifting the heavy rubble was thinking back to the words he heard directly from Tony Stark.

Peter's core characterization as presented in the MCU is to live up to Tony Stark. Saying otherwise is ignoring what's actually on screen in favor of other, better Spider-Man portrayals. But it isn't true of the MCU incarnation as he is presented to us.

Ultimate Member

Peter outright stated he wanted to be just like Tony Stark when speaking directly to him, and his motivation for lifting the heavy rubble was thinking back to the words he heard directly from Tony Stark.

Peter's core characterization as presented in the MCU is to live up to Tony Stark. Saying otherwise is ignoring what's actually on screen in favor of other, better Spider-Man portrayals. But it isn't true of the MCU incarnation as he is presented to us.
    I guess you could see it like that, but I interpreted as him just wanting to be a competent superhero. If he was talking to Steve Rogers, he might've said the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I guess you could see it like that, but I interpreted as him just wanting to be a competent superhero. If he was talking to Steve Rogers, he might've said the same thing.
    He wasn't talking to Steve Rogers. He was talking to Tony Stark. The same Tony Stark that the villain of the movie used as their motivating factor. These movies were built from the ground-up to be about MCU Peter Parker and his relationship to Tony Stark.

FFH just doubled down on that.

If that were Steve Rogers instead, we would have gotten completely different movies.

BANNED

Except Peter's core isn't the fact he's a fan of superheroes,...
    In the MCU it is.

Ultimate Member

He wasn't talking to Steve Rogers. He was talking to Tony Stark. The same Tony Stark that the villain of the movie used as their motivating factor. These movies were built from the ground-up to be about MCU Peter Parker and his relationship to Tony Stark.

FFH just doubled down on that.

If that were Steve Rogers instead, we would have gotten completely different movies.
    Of course we would've. My point is he didn't get enough interaction with Steve and other Avengers

I personally didn't care for the "next Iron Man" business in FFH tbh.

BANNED

You keep repeating the exact same things, but frankly they are irrelevant, when Peter says he wants to be like Tony he would have said that to any other hero, Hulk, Thor, even Hawkeye, because he's been watching them his entire life.
    But they have nothing to do with him being a hero, he had his powers and was already going out as Spider-Man for almost a year before meeting Tony, and was outlined very clearly that he does it because he'd feel guilty doing nothing, when Peter remembers what Tony said to him while trapped under rubble it had nothing to do with the fact Peter looked up to him, it had everything to do with the fact he's in his own, and no one else is gonna help him.
    Living up to Tony was never his characterization, even in Far From Home, the problem wasn't living up to Tony it was being thrust from fighting street criminals to being expected to be thr guy who people look to when the world is in danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Of course we would've. My point is he didn't get enough interaction with Steve and other Avengers

I personally didn't care for the "next Iron Man" business in FFH tbh.
    Homecoming was built around Peter impressing Tony Stark. To substitute another character in that scene would have meant we would have had a different movie.

FFH was also all about that relationship.

You keep repeating the exact same things, but frankly they are irrelevant, when Peter says he wants to be like Tony he would have said that to any other hero, Hulk, Thor, even Hawkeye, because he's been watching them his entire life.
    But they have nothing to do with him being a hero, he had his powers and was already going out as Spider-Man for almost a year before meeting Tony, and was outlined very clearly that he does it because he'd feel guilty doing nothing, when Peter remembers what Tony said to him while trapped under rubble it had nothing to do with the fact Peter looked up to him, it had everything to do with the fact he's in his own, and no one else is gonna help him.
    Living up to Tony was never his characterization, even in Far From Home, the problem wasn't living up to Tony it was being thrust from fighting street criminals to being expected to be thr guy who people look to when the world is in danger.
    Homecoming and FFH were built around Peter's relationship with Tony Stark. They are the core of those films. To ignore these very textual readings is to ignore the very simple themes these films are conveying. Themes that are foreign to Spider-Man (which is why fans of these films substitute themes from other Spider-Man releases despite little actual evidence in the MCU films).
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 06-05-2021 at 03:58 PM.

Ultimate Member

FFH wasn't only about that relationship.

BANNED

I thought it was a done deal that MCU Spiderman is nothing more but the adored and adopted kid of Iron Man and his entire world is hyped around that which just kind of suck for Spidey and it extremely boring for a Spiderman tale, when you realise Spiderman and his world is just a far more interesting setting than Iron Man's.

Well, I just hope after MCU Spiderman 3, everything is over and Spiderman can return to Sony fully and maybe we can see another rebooted Spiderman in a Sony film but only this Time, a much much older Spiderman, maybe even married. None of that high school generic stuff anymore

BANNED

"I just wanted to be like you."
    Honestly that was one of the most cringe worthy lines ever said and Tom Holland's delivery of the line....good mercy ...I get it ...he is child but it was just a little too much. It was as if, he was about to cry when he said he wanted to be like Tony.

RDJ did save what could be saved about the scene when he said, I want you better but that is because RDJ is just a good actor while Holland still needs some work in the acting department.

That line of wanting to be like Tony was in a trailer or a tv spot and I remember something in my head that turned off and I knew I would have major problems with tom holland's spiderman. from the trailer, I was not already feeling the film because of the tone and cinematography of Homecoming because I felt the movie just looked generic and too cooperate made but when Holland started talking and I saw him and Tony with Tony's arms around him giving him ''advise'' or whatever.

As a spiderman fan who read his comics as a teen, adored the Sam Raimi film visual style. I just knew it that Holland Spiderman films would be a hot messy mixed topic with actual Spiderman reading fans, even if critics would pretend Tom Holland Spiderman films are the bestest movies ever.
    Last edited by Castle; 06-06-2021 at 05:36 AM.

In retrospect, Fantastic Four and X-Men are real lucky they will be entering the MCU when the universe is kind of looking for a fresh slate and a break from the Avengers, unlike poor Spidey who was dropped dead center into the darkest part of Tony Stark's shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    In retrospect, Fantastic Four and X-Men are real lucky they will be entering the MCU when the universe is kind of looking for a fresh slate and a break from the Avengers, unlike poor Spidey who was dropped dead center into the darkest part of Tony Stark's shadow.
    And there isn't the rights issue that makes Spidey a tug-of-war between Sony and Marvel.