Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

I'm actually pretty excited for this movie, plus with more modern takes on the superhero genre starting to embrace more comic books elements always make things more exciting for me.

Also, it's about time we got another Penguin who isn't a sewer mutant...That take lasted far too long, in my opinion. I just hope that they don't take away all of Oswald's eccentricities (gun-brella), for the sake of "realism".

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I'm actually pretty excited for this movie, plus with more modern takes on the superhero genre starting to embrace more comic books elements always make things more exciting for me.

Also, it's about time we got another Penguin who isn't a sewer mutant...That take lasted far too long, in my opinion. I just hope that they don't take away all of Oswald's eccentricities (gun-brella), for the sake of "realism".
    If "realism" means getting rid of gun umbrellas, then I don't want it.

It's too early to tell how relatively grounded this film series will stay, but I never got the appeal of adapting such a larger than life character like Batman and making his world be a grounded crime/thriller drama that pits him against criminals and serial killers you'd see in any other cop/crime film or series.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    If "realism" means getting rid of gun umbrellas, then I don't want it.

It's too early to tell how relatively grounded this film series will stay, but I never got the appeal of adapting such a larger than life character like Batman and making his world be a grounded crime/thriller drama that pits him against criminals and serial killers you'd see in any other cop/crime film or series.
    Actually, for a first movie I don't mind the idea of keeping it slightly more grounded with criminals, mob families, etc. Keeps more focus on Batman himself.

The more "colorful" / eccentric villains can start showing up in a 2nd movie where they are deciding to take down an already established Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Actually, for a first movie I don't mind the idea of keeping it slightly more grounded with criminals, mob families, etc. Keeps more focus on Batman himself.

The more "colorful" / eccentric villains can start showing up in a 2nd movie where they are deciding to take down an already established Batman.
    Yeah, a first film it makes sense to be more muted, and this is very early so I'm cutting this film some slack and think it looks potentially very good for what it is.

The Nolan trilogy seemed to go even more grounded as it went along after "Begins," which is why that trilogy doesn't do much for me even if technically they are very good films.

To be honest there was nothing realistic about that scene with the Batmobile or Batman tanking so many bullets so I think it's kind of a moot point .

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be honest there was nothing realistic about that scene with the Batmobile or Batman tanking so many bullets so I think it's kind of a moot point .
    Those things are within the realm of possibility. Action movies always go to the edge with what's possible, it can still fall under realism.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Those things are within the realm of possibility. Action movies always go to the edge with what's possible, it can still fall under realism.
    I dunno, they felt more comic-booky than "within the realm of possibility."

Yeah bulletproof armor still leaves you bruised to hell and back. Getting shot point blank like that would screw Batman over. He would not be able to fight at peak efficiency and would get stomped. Especially if everyone unloaded on him from all sides instead of taking turns like the Arkham games do
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah bulletproof armor still leaves you bruised to hell and back. Getting shot point blank like that would screw Batman over. He would not be able to fight at peak efficiency and would get stomped. Especially if everyone unloaded on him from all sides instead of taking turns like the Arkham games do
    And even in the Arkham games you normally avoid getting hit with gunfire as much as possible. The Batsuit is hardly ever depicted as being that immune to bullets.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Yeah, a first film it makes sense to be more muted, and this is very early so I'm cutting this film some slack and think it looks potentially very good for what it is.

The Nolan trilogy seemed to go even more grounded as it went along after "Begins," which is why that trilogy doesn't do much for me even if technically they are very good films.
    I don't know if I'd go that far considering the final movie had a terrorist threatening all of Gotham with a nuclear weapon. It's pretty fascinating to me that the Nolan movies get flack for being "realistic" when the movie that most agree is the undisputed masterpiece of the trilogy (The Dark Knight) is the most realistic of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencermalley935 View Post
    I don't know if I'd go that far considering the final movie had a terrorist threatening all of Gotham with a nuclear weapon. It's pretty fascinating to me that the Nolan movies get flack for being "realistic" when the movie that most agree is the undisputed masterpiece of the trilogy (The Dark Knight) is the most realistic of the bunch.
    Batman Begins had a slightly more stylistic Gotham with locations like the Narrows, at least in comparison to the other two, and I liked Batman's costume in it more. But overall, the trilogy toned down things by a LOT. No bleached skin Joker with clown props, not Lazarus pits, no full Scarecrow costume, Bane didn't have his Venom, Catwoman couldn't be called Catwoman or even own a single cat, Gotham was just Chicago and we got the terribly lame and unsatisfying John Blake "nod" to Robin.

They're still Hollywood action movies so fantastical things still happen, but they run away from the comic book aspects as much as they are allowed. And hell, nobody can say it didn't work for them because they were hits. But personally, a Batman mythos that "muted" bores the **** out of me, and I hope Reeves brings something else to the table.

Batman Begins had a slightly more stylistic Gotham with locations like the Narrows, at least in comparison to the other two, and I liked Batman's costume in it more. But overall, the trilogy toned down things by a LOT. No bleached skin Joker with clown props, not Lazarus pits, no full Scarecrow costume, Bane didn't have his Venom, Catwoman couldn't be called Catwoman or even own a single cat, Gotham was just Chicago and we got the terribly lame and unsatisfying John Blake "nod" to Robin.

They're still Hollywood action movies so fantastical things still happen, but they run away from the comic book aspects as much as they are allowed. And hell, nobody can say it didn't work for them because they were hits. But personally, a Batman mythos that "muted" bores the **** out of me, and I hope Reeves brings something else to the table.
    And you could see that inspired a lot about Arrow with its obvious Nolan Batman influences and how they toned down a lot of the comic book stuff until Flash showed up.

Extraordinary Member

I’m thinking this film is using a more “gritty” aesthetic as a kind of “double-bluff”: it wants to look even more grounded than Nolan’s films… but wants to do stuff that’s more over the top than Nolan’s film, and emphasize it with the gritty aesthetics.

So you get a Batman who looks like his costume is genuine hockey lads and a leather mask… but he’s tanking automatic fire more than Bake did.

And you get a Batmobile that is just a super up muscle car instead of a tank… but it still drives through things like the Tumbler.

It’s a tool for emphasis.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

You think they'll actually call it "The Batmobile" or just "The Car?"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    You think they'll actually call it "The Batmobile" or just "The Car?"
    Or maybe the "Bat-Car"?