Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Pre- Frank Miller, the default Batman story was him solving a mystery. Some of them were pretty simple, others were a bit more elaborate.

I read some of the old O'Neill/Adams stories yesterday and they were fantastic.

Bruce being in control 90% of the time makes those rare times he actually loses control all the more impactful such as in 'Untold Legends of Batman'.

Anyway, I'm not going into expecting a calm, rational and methodical Batman.
    Pre-Frank Miller was pre-1986, so you're talking about before I was born...

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Anyway, I'm not going into expecting a calm, rational and methodical Batman.
    Yeah it at least works for where he's at in this film, but I will probably be more excited for the film series as a whole once we get a feel for the how the trajectory of his arc might go. If the plan is for him to remain like this throughout it'd be no bueno, but I don't think that's how it will be.

Also agreed that since we get bombarded with Batman-related content almost 24/7 from DC/WB it's harder to work up too much enthusiasm, though I'm trying to not hold it against this movie or the Caped Crusader because they are things I otherwise would be interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yeah it at least works for where he's at in this film, but I will probably be more excited for the film series as a whole once we get a feel for the how the trajectory of his arc might go. If the plan is for him to remain like this throughout it'd be no bueno, but I don't think that's how it will be.

Also agreed that since we get bombarded with Batman-related content almost 24/7 from DC/WB it's harder to work up too much enthusiasm, though I'm trying to not hold it against this movie or the Caped Crusader because they are things I otherwise would be interested in.
    For what it's worth I think one of Bruce's issues in the film is realizing that Batman just punching crime hasn't been as effective as he hoped it would be, so he might need to change his methods.

Realizing that being a nihilistic edgy boy who just tries to beat crime into submission is idiotic is definitely going to be his big realization. He will have to keep being Batman to protect Gotham from the psychos but he’ll embrace Bruce Wayne as just as useful a tool to save Gotham. Feel very confident in that.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Well, that was...something!

It's crazy to believe it's been over a whole year since we got our first real glimpse of this film. And the latest footage just amps the anticipation tenfold. I daresay I feel even more excited for this one than I was for TDK back in 2007-08 (granted, we didn't know back then the masterpiece that TDK would turn out to be). This truly could be a serious contender for dethroning TDK as the best Batman movie ever, if not one of the best comic-book films ever.

One thing that really intrigues me about this film is the portrayal of Batman as a ''work-in-progress''. I felt this with the first trailer and other information revealed about the film earlier, but this trailer drives it home further. Even in Batman Begins, by the time Bruce gets back to Gotham and puts on the suit, he's pretty fully-formed as Batman. Vulnerable? Yes. Inexperienced? Yes. A bit too cocky? Yes. But in many ways, he feels like he's already got the whole Batman thing figured out right from Day 1 (notice how he takes down Carmine Falcone on his first night with expert precision), and his first big mission is stopping Ra's friggin' al-Ghul from destroying Gotham! I guess all that League of Shadows training really paid off!

But with this Batman, you really get the feeling that he's raw. He's got his DIY armor and customized sports-car, dedication and above all, sheer rage. He can survive explosions and pummel gang-members into pulp. He's the unstoppable force who's just going to meet, for the first time, a really immovable object. But he lacks the finesse and maturity of most other versions of Batman, particularly the on-screen ones. Moreover, they seem to be really leaning into the idea of a Batman who's a disturbed individual and whose vigilantism may not necessarily be healthy either for him or for Gotham. It's a fascinating take on the character for the big screen (though the comics have dabbled with these ideas before) - one which even Nolan might not have been able to pull off a decade ago.

The best part of the trailer for me, which encapsulates the above, is when the Batmobile emerges from the flames. Previous Batman movies would have that be the money-shot, and then maybe have Batman fire some kind of weapon or grappling hook or whatever from the Batmobile to incapacitate the opponent's car. Here, Batman simply rams Cobblepot's car and causes it to go turtle! This guy just doesn't mess about!

This time round we get to see the Riddler be a bit more, well, riddler-y, which was nice.

I was pleasantly surprised by just how much focus we got on Catwoman. I assumed that Selina would just be another supporting character in the film, highlighting the emergence of super-villains in Gotham, but it seems here that she'll be a major part of the story, or Bruce's emotional arc in any case. Zoe Kravitz really nails the character...I daresay she could potentially be the best on-screen Selina Kyle yet! Visually too, she looks like Selina right out of a comic-book panel.

Couldn't be more pumped up for this one! Bring on Trailer 3
    Last edited by bat39; 10-18-2021 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    Looks like I was wrong. It will be on there in a way.. This is a spoiler so if anyone Doesent want to see how these characters look don't click. It's the McFarlane figures coming out...

https://www.cbr.com/the-batman-actio...dc-multiverse/
    I'm not a fan of the design of the figures.

I am however loving Bruces look in this, and I'm guessing he has two black eyes since he has sunglasses on He's also doing his own little investigating, which I'm always a fan of.

The trailer looks really amazing in 4K!

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised by just how much focus we got on Catwoman. I assumed that Selina would just be another supporting character in the film, highlighting the emergence of super-villains in Gotham, but it seems here that she'll be a major part of the story, or Bruce's emotional arc in any case. Zoe Kravitz really nails the character...I daresay she could potentially be the best on-screen Selina Kyle yet! Visually too, she looks like Selina right out of a comic-book panel.
    Apparently, per Lego sets, she starts out with a metal chain before she gets her whip .

They went full Zodiac Killer with the Riddler. Even his question mark symbol looks like the Zodiac’s “logo”. That’s a bit morbid.

Saw the 2nd Trailer. I'm definitely gonna see it.

A few things I like about the trailer: The Vibe. I like the vibe that this Batman movie is bringing it reminds me of the movie Seven with Brad Pitt and MOrgan Freeman. The Riddler is definitely giving off a John Doe feel. LOL so it'll be interesting to see. Rob Pattinson, I have no issue with him being Batman so I'll see what he brings to the table. I'm excited about that because he's an amazing Actor. Zoe Kravitz, also an amazing actress and extraordinarily beautiful, so far from what I've seen she embodies the Catwoman we come to know a love. And they have some chemistry.

The villains look comic book accurate...at least the Penguin does. I honestly could not recognize Collin Ferrall. Jesus he is now the Penguin in my eyes lol. Danny Devito held it for years but I think he's finally been dethroned.

The Action looks superb. Just OH! SO good. So I'll be looking for that come March 4

Cons: The only thing I did not like so far was the one scene that seems to be driving everyone wild. The Hallway seen where he's stalking down and just taking bullets left and right from a machine gun or whatever. It looks cool but not really practically for Batman because A he's Batman, Not Superman or Black Adam or Shazam. Batman's suit it bulletproof up to a point which is why he uses the shadows and evades the bullets.

Anyway still gonna see it.

I can't stop watching the trailer. The cinematography is great and the casting is spot on. It looks like this Batman needs punishment, that's why he's so upfront when dealing with criminals, getting a morbid pleasure out of pain. He has to come in control of his rage and I think that's what the movie is aiming for as a path for the character in this film. I love the middle point between Burton's expressionism and Nolan's "realism" (in a wide sense of the word, as it's not a realistic trilogy by any means). The lighting reminds me of Blade Runner (1982)
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I can't stop watching the trailer. The cinematography is great and the casting is spot on. It looks like this Batman needs punishment, that's why he's so upfront when dealing with criminals, getting a morbid pleasure out of pain. He has to come in control of his rage and I think that's what the movie is aiming for as a path for the character in this film. I love the middle point between Burton's expressionism and Nolan's "realism" (in a wide sense of the word, as it's not a realistic trilogy by any means). The lighting reminds me of Blade Runner (1982)
    Yeah, I do feel Reeves, intentionally or unintentionally, is giving us the ''best of both worlds'' when it comes to Nolan and Burton. We're getting a 'grounded' reality (moreso than even Nolan perhaps) and a plot about the corruption of Gotham. And we're getting a more psychologically disturbed Batman who terrorises criminals with sheer violence and brute force.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Pre-Frank Miller was pre-1986, so you're talking about before I was born...
    So was I.

I'm just saying that his take isn't the be-all end-all of the character and that Batman has multiple facets to his character.

Love the arc they're going for with a destructive Batman slowly forming into a more methodical hero

A billionaire socialite who protects Gotham City as a masked vigilante. Batman is around 30 years old and is not yet an experienced crime fighter,[4][5] as director Matt Reeves wanted to explore the character before he becomes "fully formed".[6] Reeves and Pattinson described Batman as an insomniac who cannot delineate between the Batman persona and his "recluse rockstar" public identity as Wayne,[7][8] and who is "working out this rage. He wants to inflect his kind of justice. He's just compelled to do it. There is no other option."[9] Pattinson said the film "questions the nature of what being a hero is",[10] as Batman is more flawed than traditional superheroes[11] and unable to control himself.[7]
    From wikipedia. This all sounds great to me

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Love the arc they're going for with a destructive Batman slowly forming into a more methodical hero

From wikipedia. This all sounds great to me
    Wow...some interesting stuff added to the Wikipedia description since I last read it!

Again, I think it's interesting that we're getting an early Batman who's so flawed. Nolan and Bale gave us an early Batman who was fairly sorted by the time he put on the cowl - who had a near-perfect clarity of purpose and belief in his methods. The same holds true of Keaton's Batman in the first Burton film (although it's a bit ambiguous exactly how long Bruce had been Batman in that movie).

In this case, we're facing up to the reality that a traumatised young billionaire who decides to put on an armored suit and beat the crap out of criminals likely doesn't have everything, or even anything figured out in terms of the morality of his actions, let alone their effectiveness or lack thereof. Despite whatever training he may have had, he lacks self-control, maybe even self-awareness. Far from being the world's greatest detective, a master strategist, or the ultimate warrior (to say nothing of being a ''hero'') he's just a guy using brute force to lash out against the world. He's made an impact, but perhaps not the one a more idealistic part of him would have wanted. Reeves mentioned in an interview that this is ''Year Two'' of the ''experiment'' for Bruce, and it hasn't been going well so far...which is a bit of a contrast to most origin stories in which Batman becomes a success story of sorts fairly quickly (and the screw-ups are reserved for the pre-Batman days). Year One of course does show us an early Batman who is nearly killed by his hubris in believing he could take on the criminals, corrupt politicians and cops of an entire city all on his lonesome. I guess this movie is also going to be a steep learning curve for Bruce as well, albeit in a different way.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I look forward to it, even if the "grounded" take feels very familiar. I feel like this will be very plot-heavy and one exciting thing about it is that including this many characters will probably flesh out a feel for Gotham as a place. I didn't love the bulletproof part though.