Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think anything Batman-related is popular, it just depends on the execution. I don't think the general audience would mind it.
    Everything Batman might be popular but some is def more popular than others

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Everything Batman might be popular but some is def more popular than others
    Yeah, but that doesn't mean other aspects of Batman can't work alongside that.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Agreed. I just do not think a lighter Batman is going to sell or be general audiences preference. It would be too big a gamble for WB.

That's the cool thing about having multiple TV shows, video games, comics etc. To explore the less popular variations of the character.
    I think anything Batman-related is popular, it just depends on the execution. I don't think the general audience would mind it.
    Imagine if Edgar Wright in the style of Scott Pilgrim or The Wachowskis in the style of Speed Racer took on a psychedelic story like Batman Universe where he jumps around different eras and locales in the DC Universe to defeat Savage.

I would lose my mind

Still excited for this, but less than I used to. Not because of anything about the movie itself, everything I've seen so far has been great. But 2021 was a year where all the movies I was hyped for turned out to be big disappointments. Godzilla vs Kong, Mortal Kombat, Batman The Long Halloween, it was a bad year where every movie I felt excited for turned into a turd. I could go into a spiel about how bad I thought these movies were, but there's no need. I didn't like them at all. So now I'm in this weird headspace where I think if I get excited for or look forward to a movie it'll somehow turn it into something that everyone else loves but ends up feeling like I just wasted my time and money. So trying to keep my expectations in check for a good long while.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Who wants to see this lead into a reboot of DC's movie universe? They already acknowledge that Superman and Wonder Woman exist in some form in this universe.
    No, what would even be the point? They already have a shared universe where the heroes can interact, with Flash rebooting it. So piggybacking a new shared universe into this would just seem like some weird bloated corporate mandated mess.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Imagine if Edgar Wright in the style of Scott Pilgrim or The Wachowskis in the style of Speed Racer took on a psychedelic story like Batman Universe where he jumps around different eras and locales in the DC Universe to defeat Savage.

I would lose my mind
    That sounds awesome. But it doesn’t sound like it would make as much money as the more grounded take, like THe Batman.

None of Edgar Wrights movies have been huge box office successes.

I would lose my mind
    Won't lie, I kinda hated the visuals of those two movies. Especially Speed Racer. They just didn't look good. Still kind of liked Speed Racer for the craziness of the plot and acting, just not a fan of the uber bright super CGI color palette.

BANNED

The overall aesthetic of this film is not my bag, feels too much like Se7en; I feel like we will never get a non grimDark Batman film ever again
    Welp we will be finally able to see more detective stories with Batman and you are worried about "costumes". Go figure lol

Plus the screen writer of this film wrote Imposter. If the film is any close to this comic's quality then it will be a blast.
    Last edited by Vishop; 01-17-2022 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    That sounds awesome. But it doesn’t sound like it would make as much money as the more grounded take, like THe Batman.

None of Edgar Wrights movies have been huge box office successes.
    Sad but true, a man can dream though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Won't lie, I kinda hated the visuals of those two movies. Especially Speed Racer. They just didn't look good. Still kind of liked Speed Racer for the craziness of the plot and acting, just not a fan of the uber bright super CGI color palette.
    For sure, it's not for everyone but Batman is so much more than just brooding. I wish we can get just ONE piece of media (other than comics) that depicts him in his Morrisonian goofiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    Welp we will be finally able to see more detective stories with Batman and you are worried about "costumes". Go figure lol

Plus the screen writer of this film wrote Imposter. If the film is any close to this comic's quality then it will be a blast.
    Not only the costumes, but the overall look and feel of the film; never heard of Imposter, I'll check it out.

BANNED

Sad but true, a man can dream though.

For sure, it's not for everyone but Batman is so much more than just brooding. I wish we can get just ONE piece of media (other than comics) that depicts him in his Morrisonian goofiness.

Not only the costumes, but the overall look and feel of the film; never heard of Imposter, I'll check it out.
    If Cat/Bat 'romance' is your preference then this book will blow your mind. I will not spoiler it more

I am talking about this book btw

If Cat/Bat 'romance' is your preference then this book will blow your mind. I will not spoiler it more

I am talking about this book btw
    Okay, awesome I'll definitely check it out

I hope he's a good detective in this movie.

Unless this is like Long Halloween where he needs to constantly screw up before he actually learns how to be a detective.

Astonishing Member

I hope he's a good detective in this movie.

Unless this is like Long Halloween where he needs to constantly screw up before he actually learns how to be a detective.
    I thought one of the first things Reeves mentioned about this movie was how Batman isn't the world's greatest detective when this starts, and this is a story about how he gets there.

Which makes sense actually. The foundation of Batman is Bruce wanting to prevent some other person from losing a loved one the way he did. Being able to take down an armed attacker is higher on the list of priorities as far as training is concerned than being able to investigate serial killers. And since everyone knows who's running the Mob, being able to take down the likes of Carmine Falcone is less a matter of detective work and more a matter of determination and ruthlessness. It makes sense that when Batman has to but heads with an unknown criminal mastermind who hides in the shadows and taunts him, that's when he realizes that he can't just beat answers out of people anymore but really needs to sharpen his detective skills.

Granted, in the Pre-Crisis comics, Batman starts out being primarily a detective! But Pre-Crisis Bruce Wayne, in some versions, trained primarily to become a detective working for law enforcement...the turn to vigilantism came a bit later in the training process. Post-Crisis versions, which most adaptations are based on now, have him training for a war against the Mob, so naturally he would prioritize fighting skills and weapons training.

I'm also no fan of Morrison. He's got good ideas, but the execution (least of the stories I read before making a decision to keep away from his work) is a confusing, muddled dreck. If you need to reread a book to try and figure out what happened, it wasn't good imo.

But I get it, you want brighter happy Batman that gets into the crazier comic booky stuff. I wouldn't mind that, I just wouldn't want it to look like the eye straining garishness of Speed Racer or have a Morrisonian plot where viewers go back to the theater not because they liked it but because they need to see it again just so they can understand it well enough to try and review the plot.

Anyway, I don't really care. So all the Batman movies have been dark - look at the MCU heroes, not a single one of them has ever had a dark movie. And no, none of the movies of the MCU some fans call dark ever has been. Dark superhero movies frankly are rare. And there's a difference between violent or crude R rated movies and dark. Most of the field is light movies, most somewhat comedic. So if Batman never gets to be that in live action, I'm actually kind of cool with that. He's sort of the most unique that way, by being almost the only gritty game in town.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I thought one of the first things Reeves mentioned about this movie was how Batman isn't the world's greatest detective when this starts, and this is a story about how he gets there.

Which makes sense actually. The foundation of Batman is Bruce wanting to prevent some other person from losing a loved one the way he did. Being able to take down an armed attacker is higher on the list of priorities as far as training is concerned than being able to investigate serial killers. And since everyone knows who's running the Mob, being able to take down the likes of Carmine Falcone is less a matter of detective work and more a matter of determination and ruthlessness. It makes sense that when Batman has to but heads with an unknown criminal mastermind who hides in the shadows and taunts him, that's when he realizes that he can't just beat answers out of people anymore but really needs to sharpen his detective skills.

Granted, in the Pre-Crisis comics, Batman starts out being primarily a detective! But Pre-Crisis Bruce Wayne, in some versions, trained primarily to become a detective working for law enforcement...the turn to vigilantism came a bit later in the training process. Post-Crisis versions, which most adaptations are based on now, have him training for a war against the Mob, so naturally he would prioritize fighting skills and weapons training.
    If you need to set up a story where Batman isn't on the ball as a detective then, yeah, you kind of have to set up that detective work as the one thing he didn't extensively train in as much as he could have.

Now I think most people imagine Batman training in basically every form of crime-fighting because you can't just "punch" crime, you have to be able to understand and figure out crimes to catch criminals, but I could see this Batman being one who only really thought he'd have to "punch" crime to stop it.

If you need to set up a story where Batman isn't on the ball as a detective then, yeah, you kind of have to set up that detective work as the one thing he didn't extensively train in as much as he could have.

Now I think most people imagine Batman training in basically every form of crime-fighting because you can't just "punch" crime, you have to be able to understand and figure out crimes to catch criminals, but I could see this Batman being one who only really thought he'd have to "punch" crime to stop it.
    To be fair, for the crime that haunts him the most, the answer kinda is to punch it. There's no detective work that will prevent random muggings. Okay, so punching crime isn't the answer for muggings so much as fixing the local economy and having strong safety nets, welfare systems, and rehabilitation available so people never get that desperate in the first place...but that makes for a less entertaining movie.