Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 404647484950

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Not the people.
    The comment you were responding to was specifically about the people, and you gave no indication you were talking about the government. Even if you were, blaming ordinary ticket-buyers' interest on the government wouldn't make any sense.

The linked article specifically talks about COVID lockdowns and diminished audience interest in H'wood franchise blockbusters in general as the relevant factors.

Whatever your intentions, you chimed in with a non-sequitur that consisted of a classic Sinophobic cliché. Doubling down on it isn't doing you any favors.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    The comment you were responding to was specifically about the people, and you gave no indication you were talking about the government. Even if you were, blaming ordinary ticket-buyers' interest on the government wouldn't make any sense.

The linked article specifically talks about COVID lockdowns and diminished audience interest in H'wood franchise blockbusters in general as the relevant factors.

Whatever your intentions, you chimed in with a non-sequitur that consisted of a classic Sinophobic cliché. Doubling down on it isn't doing you any favors.
    No it specifically wasn't referencing the people. You from the Chinese government? If so, I want to say on the record that China is a nice country with very nice people. But I would dearly like it if you would have a word with the rest of your government about their harsh treatment of marginalized people in society.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    No it specifically wasn't referencing the people.
    Haha, okay.

Look, if you'd just say, "My bad. I didn't intend for my comment to read the way it did," you could get out of this with some dignity.

You from the Chinese government?
    I actually said to myself after I posted my last response, "I'll bet his next move is to accuse me of being paid by the Chinese gov't." Wish I'd bet some money.

Ironically, this tactic is the inverse of Beijing's online bootlickers who equate any criticism of the government with anti-Chinese prejudice. Sloppy comments like yours make their job easier.

764 million for a Batman movie with rave reviews and got a whole month without any competition is underwhelming, just as I predicted. And Doctor Strange shuts down the Covid argument. Russia, South Korea and unrestricted China still wouldn't have pushed this further than 850 million at most.

I don't blame it on the movie itself, because I quite liked it. I blame it on the marketing that made it look like The Dark knight all over again. The ending makes it clear that the next movie won't have that problem in marketing.

I loved Robert Pattinson in the role just as I expected, but was surprised by how tame this take if Selina Kyle and Jim Gordon were. Jim really was just a sidekick to Batman. He didn't really do anything without Bruce and just followed him the whole movie. He didn't even have much if an arc, other than slowly being told how corrupt everything was. And Selina was a sympathetic character but I thought she was constantly out of her depth. She was physically adept, but she was an amateur at everything else. Which I suppose isn't a problem, but I do wish it was otherwise.

Don't really have anything to say about this Alfred. He didn't really bring much to the table.

I completely skipped over the Joker while watching at home. It's the only moment in the movie that made me wanna puke. I'm so freaking tired of that character and this movie is way better without those dumb, forced sequel teasers.

I don't understand complaints about the third act. People say the story was over by that point but that's not the case whatsoever. Bruce's journey was explicitely dependent on it.

I really have to applaud Matt Reeves for how the movie kept making fascinating decisions. First we see Batman bulldoze through the club in clear view. And when Bruce needs to get back there he does it as Bruce Wayne. I was so freaking excited when I saw that, him making use of the Bruce Wayne persona in a really interesting manner after ignoring it the whole movie.

And I was ready to be underwhelmed by how the Waynes were gonna be used for the social critique. Not that I think they are sacred, but the whole "got involved with the mob for good reasons with bad consequences" is so lame. But the idea of the Wayne fund being used for all these things since it wasn't regulated is a fcking great idea to show the nuances of politics. What a fcking great moment.

And again, I love the nuance that the reason why Bruce is against killing is because he respects how his father believed in the hippocratic oath, specially in the story of Carmine Falcone.
    Last edited by Alpha; 05-08-2022 at 05:43 AM.

I watched this movie on a dimly lit night at an apartment I was staying at. With a view overlooking sets of train tracks, and a downtown lit up with high-rises and moving traffic, I have to say the atmosphere of the film had an effect like few others. Markedly different from the musty, gothicpunk atmosphere apparent in the Tim Burton era of films, and certainly a deviation from the slicker, crisper city in the Nolan films (barring the grimier version of Gotham in Batman Begins, probably my second-favorite version of Gotham in film to date), The Batman comes in with a grungy, neonpunk take on Gotham (with tasteful gothic aesthetics), creating a surprisingly refreshing and vibrant Gotham. With glaring fights in the rain, moody shots in gothic mansions, and stifling strolls through grimy, neon clubs, the cinematography never failed to impress. And honestly, the city felt more alive than it's ever been on film, with plenty of interaction between the main characters and the background cast. It never feels as though the main characters are living in a bubble; It truly feels as though these characters exist in a living, breathing world. This added life and vibrancy really allows for the themes of the film to pop. Being a character drama at its heart, the film explores the perceptions of the main characters, specifically Bruce Wayne and his own perception of himself, and contrasts those perceptions with those of the supporting cast and their actions, mainly from Selina Kyle, Thomas Wayne, and the villainous Riddler. With exceptional performances from Robert Pattinson, Zoe Kravitz, Paul Dano, Jeffrey Wright and especially Colin Farrell, every scene had an emphasized stylishness about it that permeated throughout the film.

While the praise is high, there were definitely some nitpicks I had about the film, mainly relating to the rather rushed relationship between Batman and Catwoman, the off-putting and drab Riddler costume, the lack of more Riddler scenes, and the cringey, vomit-inducing sequel bait (with a tired and overused character, to boot).

Stylish, grungy, and moody, The Batman excels in its use of cinematography, creating a refreshing atmosphere worth experiencing in theatres and at home (or in my case, a dimly lit apartment overlooking train tracks, with a view of the night light of downtown only a few steps away). With numerous fight scenes, compelling detective work, and a more grounded, human Dark Knight, The Batman takes the most compelling aspects of the titular character and puts them on full display in a stylish showing from Matt Reeves. In many ways, it's the Batman film I've been waiting for. I give The Batman a strong recommend.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 05-10-2022 at 12:11 AM.

I thought the Batman (2022) was the most faithful live action adaptation of Batman ever put to screen. It treats the source material with so much reverance which is really rare in a superhero movie. I think while the Nolan movies are more sophistocated and the Burton movies are more expressive, this movie is the first Batman movie to feel straight off the page. Even little moments like Falcone mentioning Thomas Wayne operating on him at Wayne Manor is lifted from the comics. I was so delighted watching this. I also appreciated seeing a less fasctic Batman, all the other Batmen come off like a total misunderstanding of the character to me, a male power fantasy whereas Pattinson comes across more as a person responding to Trauma in a more believable sense. I've always looked at Batman as a subversion of the power fantasy and I liked that this leaned more in that direction. Zoe Kravitz eclipses anyone else who has portrayed Catwoman, although who doesn't love Julie Newmar? I would say I'm looking forward to another entry but I'm worried they won't be able to keep up this level of quality. I didn't think comic book films like this could ever be made in this day and age, but hey this one surprised me so maybe the next one will too.

Finally got to see it, for free. And I'm really glad I didn't pay for that. Because I'm absolutely not the target audience for that movie and it felt.

Much like Doomsday Clock was a masterfully crafted hot air balloon, The Batman was incredibly shot, with very talented artists who bored me to death from start to finish, with lacklustre action scenes, no chemistry between the leads and a general sluggish and apathetic feeling in all of the movie. I'm glad to know I can comfortably sit out the whole stuff Reeves will produce because since the big opening elicited nothing but eye rolls and sighs of disappointments, it's better to retreat for what I care about and let people who like this take roll with it. But I don't how it'd ever make a billion or more, except if the Joker is that big of a draw and it's really well done.

Spectacular Member Obeythemoderators's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Funny enough Reeve has been open to potentially having Robin and so has Pattinson. Specifically, Pattinson said he's down for Robin under one condition: that Robin is 13 in the movie. So full comic book adaptation in that regard lol
    So, not age 12

RCO006_1462338331.jpg