Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight85 View Post
    Yea, I agree with you at points with pointing out the domestic success of the Nolan movies. They were proven and earned the respect, and other types of Batman media certainly capitalized on that time period you mentioned specifically. I guess I am just really surprised to see only good results and not great results. Must have been me overestimating the situation. I just figured this Batman movie was DC's big gun at the moment and was almost a given for a billion mark, probably more. then when I started looking at the numbers compared to other movie, it just kind of seemed weird. It's starting to really make me double think how much DC hurt it's own branding over the recent years where as one of their big guns isn't crushing everything in it's path like it should. I mean, that's kind of serious if it's true. I think this next weekend will solidify for good the overall placement of it's box office. We'll have to see. DC just can't seem to really pick up traction. I mean Aquaman made over a billion, and while I enjoyed that movie, I do think The Batman was better made movie.

I wonder how good the advertising and marketing was for this movie. How much they put into it. If that was part of the reason or not. I also wonder what affect not having a lot of star power had on it. Sure Robert Pattison is well known, but the movie didn't really have that strong base of actors in the film. Not that the cast did bad by any means, but I don't see people raving left and right about seeing their favorite actors and actresses in the movie. That actually was something I felt strongly on before the movie was made. I also though the cast was a lot of underdog, not as well known actors with the mainstream.

Probably some Batman fatigue setting in too.

People keep harping on and on about Nolan trilogy... but that's NOT the last time we saw Batman. We had Dark Knight rises back in 2012.. .so yeah, 10 years since that. However we also had Batman V. Superman 2016, Justice League 2017 and then even Snyder's Justice League in 2021 and those were trainwrecks that had a lot of people just sick of 'Batman'.

Batman really hasn't GONE anywhere for the public to actually MISS him yet.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I think one thing is that although Batman is a big box office draw, Nolan's series particularly proved to be a big draw especially domestically. Just like a rebooted Iron Man would probably not do as well, it can't be expect for new Batman movies to do as well as Nolan. It's ultimately not the same series that got a billion a decade ago. Also, NWH was basically an event movie that brought back both live action Spider-Men (both those old films were huge hits, hell Raimi's Spidey made a billion adjusted for inflation). Would have been an easy 2 billion if it got a China release and I also feel like Spider-Man in general has been more popular than ever recently. Between the MCU, the Insomniac video game, and ITSV, it feels like Spider-Man is seeing the same kind of creative success synergy that Batman had in the late 2000s with the Arkham games, Nolan movies, and animated hits. I don't think any superhero is as big as him right now
    Have you not been paying attention to The Batman's box office because it doesn't seem like you have been, it's guaranteed short of an unforseen catastrophic event to make over $400m in North America and $850m worldwide. If it's legs stay strong it might equal or even surpass TDKR's $448m domestic total, despite opening $26m lower. It's not the same series it was a decade ago? TDK had to be re-released to hit a billion meaning it originally ended it's run in the $900m range, The Batman could possibly do $900m as the 1st in a new trilogy, not a sequel like TDK.

You sure do like to talk up Spider-Man a lot in the Batman forum despite your Batman avatar, cool that you can recognize his popularity but it almost comes off trying to take prop him up at Batman's expense"yeah Batman's popular but Spider-Man's way more popular." Nobody even started the argument of Batman being more popular so I don't know why you're always bringing it up.

Comparing the 2 now is a little unfair seeing as Spider-Man is more established in video games and movies, Holland's Spider-Man has been around 6 years longer than Pattinson's Batman and for video games Insomniac's Spider-Man is alive and well wheras Gotham Knights has a dead Bruce. The NWH sequel might have a big drop without Tobey and Andrew while The Batman sequel likely will increase, comparing them in a few more years post sequels makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post

People keep harping on and on about Nolan trilogy... but that's NOT the last time we saw Batman. We had Dark Knight rises back in 2012.. .so yeah, 10 years since that. However we also had Batman V. Superman 2016, Justice League 2017 and then even Snyder's Justice League in 2021 and those were trainwrecks that had a lot of people just sick of 'Batman'.

Neither has Spider-Man he's actually been in more movies since the 2010s than Batman, yet his latest movie has made $1.8b. The Batman has great audience reception and has already made $500m, what gives you the impression people are sick of him?

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Neither has Spider-Man he's actually been in more movies since the 2010s than Batman, yet his latest movie has made $1.8b. The Batman has great audience reception and has already made $500m, what gives you the impression people are sick of him?
    Because it doesn't feel like anyone really wanted to see it. It took me two weeks to go, and I'm the only one I know who actually bothered. And everyone I knew made a big party out of seeing Dark Knight Rises. Then Snyder happened and nobody wanted to see the new version. I also don't understand how this 'box office' thing works... When I went the theater was almost sold out. I talked my parents into seeing it and we had trouble finding 3 seats together. Once we were in side, it was 2/3 empty... but seats showed sold. So I don't know what kind of shenannigans were afoot there. But I take the numbers with a grain of salt.

Unlike Spider-man that still has that MCU juice behind it. Everyone I knew made a point out of being there for that... and even at 2 1/2 hours I still saw that three times in the theater. I haven't heard anyone saying they went to see Batman 3 times yet...

Comparing the 2 now is a little unfair seeing as Spider-Man is more established in video games and movies, Holland's Spider-Man has been around 6 years longer than Pattinson's Batman and for video games Insomniac's Spider-Man is alive and well wheras Gotham Knights has a dead Bruce. The NWH sequel might have a big drop without Tobey and Andrew while The Batman sequel likely will increase, comparing them in a few more years post sequels makes more sense.

Ehhh I don't know about that Insomniac's Spider-man was absolutely amazing for sure. However, People are still talking about the Arkham series that's been rereleased on every system since the PS3... Spidey got one great game that people love (haven't heard much about the Miles spinoff, though it's on my list to check out) but people LOOOOOVE The Arkham games to death. I frankly think Gotham Knights will probably crash and burn just because of the inevitable comparison.. I would DEFINITELY say Batman was more established in the video game area.

Because it doesn't feel like anyone really wanted to see it. It took me two weeks to go, and I'm the only one I know who actually bothered. And everyone I knew made a big party out of seeing Dark Knight Rises. Then Snyder happened and nobody wanted to see the new version. I also don't understand how this 'box office' thing works... When I went the theater was almost sold out. I talked my parents into seeing it and we had trouble finding 3 seats together. Once we were in side, it was 2/3 empty... but seats showed sold. So I don't know what kind of shenannigans were afoot there. But I take the numbers with a grain of salt.

Unlike Spider-man that still has that MCU juice behind it. Everyone I knew made a point out of being there for that... and even at 2 1/2 hours I still saw that three times in the theater. I haven't heard anyone saying they went to see Batman 3 times yet...

Ehhh I don't know about that Insomniac's Spider-man was absolutely amazing for sure. However, People are still talking about the Arkham series that's been rereleased on every system since the PS3... Spidey got one great game that people love (haven't heard much about the Miles spinoff, though it's on my list to check out) but people LOOOOOVE The Arkham games to death. I frankly think Gotham Knights will probably crash and burn just because of the inevitable comparison.. I would DEFINITELY say Batman was more established in the video game area.
    Oh Lord, you're really using anecdotal evidence over actual facts...

"It doesn't feel like anyone really wanted to see it" and yet they did, multiple times as evidenced by the great holds it's been having every week. You know at this point y'all might as well admit you just have an agenda against the movie for whatever reason and keep it moving. You can't dismiss facts that make the movie look good because you didn't like it. I've never seen this level of petty bias against a movie.

Amazing Member

Have you not been paying attention to The Batman's box office because it doesn't seem like you have been, it's guaranteed short of an unforseen catastrophic event to make over $400m in North America and $850m worldwide. If it's legs stay strong it might equal or even surpass TDKR's $448m domestic total, despite opening $26m lower. It's not the same series it was a decade ago? TDK had to be re-released to hit a billion meaning it originally ended it's run in the $900m range, The Batman could possibly do $900m as the 1st in a new trilogy, not a sequel like TDK.

You sure do like to talk up Spider-Man a lot in the Batman forum despite your Batman avatar, cool that you can recognize his popularity but it almost comes off trying to take prop him up at Batman's expense"yeah Batman's popular but Spider-Man's way more popular." Nobody even started the argument of Batman being more popular so I don't know why you're always bringing it up.

Keep in mind as I said earlier TDKR's box office was severely hurt by that theater shooting. I'm pretty sure the domestic would have been around 600 million if it didn't happen seeing as how TDK domestic was around 530 million. We have to see how good the Batman does this weekend to see, but I think it's possible it will end it's domestic run at 350 million. I wouldn't say 400 is a given by any means. If it does stay at $350, then I think it's worth pointing out the comparison and possible Batman fatigue when compared to the Nolan movies.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Lot of people wanting to run before they can walk with the Nolan comparisons. It's ridiculous to compare this one film to an entire trilogy (or even the second part).

Batman was a damaged franchise in 2005 and Batman Begins was a great movie that had to reintroduce the character, win back former fans and rebuild the franchise on screen. This movie has the same job and obstacles (and now has the added problem of Marvel being THE comic book brand on screen and all that brings).

The Batman has already financially overtaken Batman Begins and that is the movie this is most comparable to both thematically and conceptually.

Rejoice, it did good AND is an excellent movie!

Now, when the next film inevitably stars Joker, then you can make the Dark Knight comparisons.
    Last edited by exile001; 03-18-2022 at 05:36 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    So like, my interpretation of The Batman 2022's version of Bruce Wayne is that he was deeply marked by the night that his father operated Carmine Falcone on a dining room table, despite knowing this man was a mob boss. The way he emotes when Carmine is recounting that story at the church seems to suggest a great amount of respect for what his own father did. Do you think this is what instilled in Bruce the no kill rule?

I know this scene comes from The Long Halloween, but I haven't read in a very long time, so I don't recall what effect this had on Bruce in that story.

And this is not to say that Bruce has a deep value for human life, since he even states at one point in the movie that one of the corrupt officials had what was coming to him (I can't remember if it's the police comissioner or the mayor.
    That's an interesting idea. One interpretation of Batman's no-kill rule, albeit not a very widely known one, is that Bruce doesn't kill because his father was a doctor and that instilled in him the respect for the sanctity of all human life. Would be interesting if that's in play here. I mean, Bruce does talk about how being Batman is continuing his family's legacy. He could be referring to the philanthropy but maybe he also meant Thomas' work as a doctor, saving lives.

There's the LEGO Batman movie as well from 2016. And Batman will be showing up in the Super-Pets movie. And next year we're getting Keaton and Affleck in The Flash and Keaton again in Batgirl.

But I really don't think there's a ''Batman fatigue'' in play. If there was, he wouldn't be such a viable product for DC/WB and they wouldn't be churning out so much Batman content across the board, let alone just films.

And all said and done, this is still the first live-action solo Batman movie in a decade. That means Batman, Gordon, Alfred, the iconic villains, Gotham, the works. We see bits and pieces of these in the shared universe movies but we don't get a focused Batman story immersed in Batman lore. And that's a major part of the mainstream appeal of Batman.

The Nolan trilogy imo is far more embarrassed about its source material than this movie is
    That alone gives the Batman the nod over those movies
    Nolan was more concerned with the performances (and he only got gold from Heath everyone else was basically average) than a lot of the technical aspects of how Batman is supposed to look, move, sound etc all of that compounded into some truly bad memes that still follow his movies to this day

I like the Nolan movies for revitalizing the Batman franchise in cinema but you can't say they are absolutely flawless because at the end of the day Batman can barely move, He can't fight, he needs help from everyone, and He quit in the end

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    The Nolan trilogy imo is far more embarrassed about its source material than this movie is
    That alone gives the Batman the nod over those movies
    Nolan was more concerned with the performances (and he only got gold from Heath everyone else was basically average) than a lot of the technical aspects of how Batman is supposed to look, move, sound etc all of that compounded into some truly bad memes that still follow his movies to this day

I like the Nolan movies for revitalizing the Batman franchise in cinema but you can't say they are absolutely flawless because at the end of the day Batman can barely move, He can't fight, he needs help from everyone, and He quit in the end
    I thought he fought and moved a lot more Batman-like than Pattison's. Pattinson just walked into fights and brawled.

The film is a masterpiece.

Extraordinary Member

Nolan's trilogy was great, but you can tell he either wasn't interested in or didn't care to shoot interesting fight scenes very much.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I thought he fought and moved a lot more Batman-like than Pattison's. Pattinson just walked into fights and brawled.
    Not me, Pattison's fights had two things going for them. 1) the camera was actually back far enough that I could actually SEE what he was doing. Nolan's fights were too close, too shakey, and too vague. I know he tried to base it on a real fight style... but it looked terrible. 2) Reminded me of Arkham games. Quick, Brutal, efficient. Disarm someone, break their arm and take their leg out from under them before moving to the next one. Very cool fights. Granted, getting them on the ground and just wailing on their heads was overkill. Batman is more efficent than that... but the leadup in the group fights were awesome.

Honestly that was the one spot that Snyder shined at too. Ever since Watchmen's Alley fight/Jail Break I've wanted to see him do a batman movie. Outside of the straight up murder that Bruce was doing... those fights were very 'comic book' awesome too. But no... Nolan's are actually near the bottom of my list for good Batman fighting.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Not me, Pattison's fights had two things going for them. 1) the camera was actually back far enough that I could actually SEE what he was doing. Nolan's fights were too close, too shakey, and too vague. I know he tried to base it on a real fight style... but it looked terrible. 2) Reminded me of Arkham games. Quick, Brutal, efficient. Disarm someone, break their arm and take their leg out from under them before moving to the next one. Very cool fights. Granted, getting them on the ground and just wailing on their heads was overkill. Batman is more efficent than that... but the leadup in the group fights were awesome.

Honestly that was the one spot that Snyder shined at too. Ever since Watchmen's Alley fight/Jail Break I've wanted to see him do a batman movie. Outside of the straight up murder that Bruce was doing... those fights were very 'comic book' awesome too. But no... Nolan's are actually near the bottom of my list for good Batman fighting.
    I'm with you on Nolan's shaky camera angles, I just think stealthy assaults are more fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I'm with you on Nolan's shaky camera angles, I just think stealthy assaults are more fitting.
    Yeah, that was pretty cool.

When I think Nolan's fighting, I'm using thinking this.

All shaky with swinging headbutts and elbows... I think? Really, the only thing that I hate worse than a bad fight scene... is a fight scene that I think MAY be cool, but I have zero idea what the heck is happening. It feels like sloppy directing to cover up poor choreography. I've been thinking that since the first Lethal Weapon 'epic showdown' between the two masters had to be done in the rain at night... Not nearly as epic as it was being led up to.