Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

I think they're definitely going with her not having a high opinion of the Waynes and that contrasting with her burgeoning relationship with Batman.

Whether she finds out by the end of the movie and that flips her feelings is a good question...

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Tom King laughing all the way to the bank.

Bat/Cat is here to stay baybee
    Tom King didn't invent the "Bat/Cat" monikers tho. Batman Returns marketed them as "The Bat and the Cat" too.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Tom King didn't invent the "Bat/Cat" monikers tho. Batman Returns marketed them as "The Bat and the Cat" too.

Exactly.

Where do you think King got it?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

but he made it popular how far did you have to dig to even find this?

And he soured it for a lot of peoples also.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    And he soured it for a lot of peoples also.
    Yeah, he was the first guy to try and almost *only* have the two call each other “Bat” and “Cat” ad infinitum while most other artists went with the more human references, dialogue, interactions, personalities, chemistry, romance, plotting…
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Yeah, I'm not saying it didn't exist before then but it was more like a ship thing than actual comic canon (let alone to the lengths King would go).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    Great trailer! And as the name suggests, very much focused on the Batman-Catwoman partnership. I think this has the potential to become my favorite take on the Bat-Cat pairing. Its interesting that they're not even trying to present Selina as a villain to start with here...even TDKR had her working for Bane to begin with and then gradually shifting her loyalties to Batman. Judging by what we've seen so far, Catwoman may as well be Batman's first 'sidekick'/partner in this continuity.

As far as the Wayne family stuff goes (which has been explicitly confirmed in a trailer for the first time)...I'm on the fence. I do hope this ends with a reveal that Thomas and Martha weren't bad guys, but may have inadvertantly gotten compromised through involvement with the likes of Falcone and whoever else - much like how it was in TLH. Actually, given how much they've telegraphed this mystery around the Waynes and their involvement in Gotham's corruption, I'm almost convinced that they're going to pull a ''bait and switch'' here and reveal that whatever is the secret that Bruce discovers about his family, it's something he can come to terms with and reconcile with the positive image he has of their legacy. Because if the big ''reveal'' is basically ''Thomas Wayne was the head of the Mob'' or something along those lines, then, leaving aside how disrespectful it'd be to the mythos, narratively it's not a particularly sophisticated or satisfying twist. I mean, if the trailer says ''Uh oh, Bruce is going to learn something shady about his parents...'' and the film reveals that ''Yup...his parents were totally shady'', that's hardly the twist of the century!

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    So far, the two modern movies with her have had her find it out. Both of the major video game franchises have had her find it out. Even animated movies are making it the eventual status quo.

She’s curious who he is, has scenes with both identities, and the way this last trailer cut some scenes it looks like they might even both go from their costumed IDs to trying to infiltrate a nightclub, with him not having time to remove his face paint.

Even if they end up pulling some kind of femme fatale thing with her, she’ll probably leave knowing who he is… and unwilling to take him down because she’ll like him.
    In fact, The Long Halloween animated films had her know his identity (and be involved with him romantically) from before the story starts. So yeah, them being in a relationship of sorts and knowing each other's identities early on is pretty much the norm now.

All you have to do is watch Batman Returns? Selina in the film refers to Bruce and her as the "Man behind the Bat and the woman behind the Cat" too.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Great trailer! And as the name suggests, very much focused on the Batman-Catwoman partnership. I think this has the potential to become my favorite take on the Bat-Cat pairing. Its interesting that they're not even trying to present Selina as a villain to start with here...even TDKR had her working for Bane to begin with and then gradually shifting her loyalties to Batman. Judging by what we've seen so far, Catwoman may as well be Batman's first 'sidekick'/partner in this continuity.
    I think I saw on the magazine cover where they say she's developing into a Femme Fatale so I feel like she's going to be set up as a partner and romantic interest only to betray him in the end for her own reasons and that she was, partially, stringing him along and that sets up the unpredictable wildcard that is Catwoman who can play both sides of the fence if it suits her.

Like at the end of the first season of Telltale where it turned out she was conning him the whole time even if she did help him.
    As far as the Wayne family stuff goes (which has been explicitly confirmed in a trailer for the first time)...I'm on the fence. I do hope this ends with a reveal that Thomas and Martha weren't bad guys, but may have inadvertantly gotten compromised through involvement with the likes of Falcone and whoever else - much like how it was in TLH. Actually, given how much they've telegraphed this mystery around the Waynes and their involvement in Gotham's corruption, I'm almost convinced that they're going to pull a ''bait and switch'' here and reveal that whatever is the secret that Bruce discovers about his family, it's something he can come to terms with and reconcile with the positive image he has of their legacy. Because if the big ''reveal'' is basically ''Thomas Wayne was the head of the Mob'' or something along those lines, then, leaving aside how disrespectful it'd be to the mythos, narratively it's not a particularly sophisticated or satisfying twist. I mean, if the trailer says ''Uh oh, Bruce is going to learn something shady about his parents...'' and the film reveals that ''Yup...his parents were totally shady'', that's hardly the twist of the century!
    There definitely seems to be something significant Alfred kept from him about his family (ala Telltale), although the exact severity of it remains to be seen.

(I really hope Alfred doesn't just call him "Bruce" in this).
    In fact, The Long Halloween animated films had her know his identity (and be involved with him romantically) from before the story starts. So yeah, them being in a relationship of sorts and knowing each other's identities early on is pretty much the norm now.
    Apparently, per the German logline, they're childhood friends in this.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Who wants to see this lead into a reboot of DC's movie universe? They already acknowledge that Superman and Wonder Woman exist in some form in this universe.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Who wants to see this lead into a reboot of DC's movie universe? They already acknowledge that Superman and Wonder Woman exist in some form in this universe.
    I dont. Id rather matt just get to make his trilogy and the hbo shows. I haven't seen anything that suggests superman and co exist in this world. Having a self contained world is what is best for this version of batman. If you're going to reboot the dceu just cast a whole other group of younger actors and go to it. Do it right from the start, don't try and fit things already dope into other things not so.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think I saw on the magazine cover where they say she's developing into a Femme Fatale so I feel like she's going to be set up as a partner and romantic interest only to betray him in the end for her own reasons and that she was, partially, stringing him along and that sets up the unpredictable wildcard that is Catwoman who can play both sides of the fence if it suits her.

Like at the end of the first season of Telltale where it turned out she was conning him the whole time even if she did help him.

There definitely seems to be something significant Alfred kept from him about his family (ala Telltale), although the exact severity of it remains to be seen.

(I really hope Alfred doesn't just call him "Bruce" in this).

Apparently, per the German logline, they're childhood friends in this.
    On rewatching the trailer again, it occurred to me that Bruce telling Alfred that he ''lied to [him]'' might actually be a clever editing trick - he might be talking to Alfred about someone else (Selina?) lying to him. Granted, this is just a possibility...it makes perfect sense, given all we know or can guess, that Alfred has been hiding some dirty secrets about the Wayne family.

As far as Catwoman goes, yeah your point about the femme fatale may just be right on the money...especially since Reeves has been harping so much on the noir-ishness of it all. It just might be the case that Selina's loyalties flip-flop a bit with regards to her partnership with Batman, although she's ultimately still (mostly) on the side of the angels.

As far as them being ''childhood friends'' goes...well that's interesting. I've only watched Gotham Season 1, but wasn't that kinda the case there? If they are childhood friends would the circumstances have been similar - Bruce investigating his parent's murder as a kid (or walking the mean streets anyway) and running into a young petty thief who might have seen or heard something useful? Or did Selina's mom and/or her guardians/foster parents work for the Waynes (making her a version of Rachel Dawes as well)? The latter seems unlikely but who knows with this film...

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    If you're talking about those alleged set photos...well we don't know if those will actually make it to the film. And even if they do, all it proves is that these characters could exist as, well, characters in the context of this film's universe. (Yeah, I know there's an article which apparently alludes to Superman's existence in those set photos...but again, it remains to be seen if that actually makes it into the film).

I'm partial towards letting Reeves do a Nolan and keep this universe self-contained. In any case, it looks increasingly like the Flash movie will reboot the DCEU to replace Affleck with Keaton. Let Keaton's Batman (and the new Batgirl) be the DCEU Bats interacting with the likes of Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Shazam etc. Let Pattison's Batman do his own thing!

Mighty Member

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post

I *love* Penguin’s look here, and I like the design of Riddlers’ outfit. It just still feels a little on the nose as “We want Riddler to be The Zodiac Killer because we have zero confidence in any of his previous portrayals in any media,”
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP